onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

I can’t believe it has come to the point where supporters are expecting a defeat against FGR. That is no disrespect to them at all but this shows how much Vale how sunk in a number of years under the guidance of Smurf.

Aspin can’t go into this game for a draw like every other game. It is too negative every game, something has to change. As much as I want Aspin to succeed, things have to change or we are going to be in trouble again for a 3rd season in a row. It really is depressing being a Vale fan currently.

As far as team selection is concerned, we have to start two up front. My team would be.

Brown (GK)

Gibbons (RB)

Legge (CB)

Rawlinson (CB)

Clark (LB)

Hannant (RM)

Joyce (CM)

Manny (CM)

Whitfield (LM)

Pope (ST)

Miller (ST)

Subs:

Hornby

Vassell

Smith

Conlon

Dodds

Worrall

Quigley

Hannant has to fill in on the right for me, Worrall has been so poor all season for me.

Can’t see a win in this one. We fall to another 2-0 defeat and the same old, same old is said after the game. I am one of those who expects a defeat unfortunately. I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think I am.

Agree ~90%, there has to be a place for Hardcastle after his performance at the weekend. I think Whitfield and Hannant would be the other way around.

Advert

Pretty similar to everyone else if Manny, Conlon and Monty are injured. I'd go:

4-1-2-1-2: Brown; Gibbons, Legge, (Rawlinson/Smith), Clark; Joyce; Hardcastle, Hannant; Whitfield; Pope, Miller.

I generally think we're doing okay and we just need some consistency, so I'd try not to change the back 5 too much at the very least - with Joyce in front. That'd being said, Smith always looks much better with a leader alongside and I'm not too sure on Rawlinson yet - so I'd be tempted to swap those two.

Whatever Aspin decides - I hope he sticks with it for the next 5 or so games, injuries aside, and lets them develop. No unnecessary moves to 3 at the back please.

I think we're paying the price for not having a settled formation in pre-season. I'm glad he wants to try new things BUT we need a solid structure first before we can experiment.

Newport are a fantastic model to base ourselves on. Two seasons ago they survived relegation, last year they consolidated, and then they look like they might push on and challenge this year. I'm hoping for this from the Vale because changing the manager every year after letting them assemble a new squad is just counter-productive.

Let's make ourselves solid this season and build a platform for us to push on from. I know this might be unspectacular and not great from a supporters point of view but I don't want another season like the last few.

Ttoally agree with what you say about formations and personnel, indeed we are 6 games in to the season and still chopping and changing, but personally I think Legge and Rawlinson has been our best central defensive partnership. It would be harsh on those 2 to break them up and bring Smith in IMO.

I do read your posts and you did ask me to justify why I thought Kanu was good enough to get into the team and had no experience despite playing 18 games for Peterborough last year and 29 games for Aldershot in the conference.

Obviously you are suffering from senile dementia and can’t remember what you posted Jean.

Thanks for that. Asking you to justify why Kanu should be in the team does not mean I have said he isn't good enough. It's just me asking you to justify why he should be in the team. I have no idea whether he should be or not because I haven't seen enough of him and I have certainly NEVER said he wasn't good enough.

You read my posts but you clearly don't understand what I'm saying. Perhaps it isn't me who has the dementia??

Let's make ourselves solid this season and build a platform for us to push on from. I know this might be unspectacular and not great from a supporters point of view but I don't want another season like the last few.

I wish those plonkers in the Railway Stand who can't wait to boo us after a backwards or misplaced pass would understand this.

Very early in Aspins reign we went away to Morecambe, attacked them from the off and battered them 3-0. Since then Aspins away tactics have really regressed.

Maybe, but we rode our luck that night. I was in the home end and we came within a whisker of conceding three times before we went ahead. The win at Exeter a few days later was less lucky by all accounts.

Pure conjecture on my behalf but I wonder sometimes if this defensive, fearful of the opposition, keep it tight set-up is a result of managing smaller teams like Gateshead and having a ceiling on your ambitions.

I've often heard him say that Colchester will be up there and Lincoln will be promoted and X, Y & Z are very tough, but not much about fearing no-one, going there to win, playing with two wingers on the front foot and having a real go.

Clearly you have to be a bit circumspect away from home but at times I think it's a crying shame that the best header of a ball at this level, Pope, doesn't get the service he deserves. In a good attacking team he'd get another 25-30 I'm sure. As it is he continues to feed off scraps.

Indeed he is, he played a holding midfield role last week at Notts County, although i'm not surprised because when he left us he suddenly became a world beater in many folks eyes.

Very adaptable is Gav, average in many positions.

They played with wing backs at Notts County last week too.

I don't think it will be an easy game tomorrow at all, and with our away form I just don't fancy us to get anything.

Archived