onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread - Forest Green Rovers v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Gibbons is a young lad, he's no where near the player he should become and he should be given a chance to become that player, he could be a long term asset. No guarantees but he has the potential.

The way this season has gone I think Aspin has been too eager to ring constant changes. Gibbons for example, played decent in the opening game which we won, dropped after the Colchester game (imo far from being the worst player that day), played in the Crawley game and was part of a very good defensive display for another win. Hardly seen since as Aspin has continually shuffled the pack. He needs to improve his forward play and decisions, but that will come with experience.

Meanwhile on the other side Montano has had a nightmare defensively most of the season, but has been given every chance to try and regain the forward momentum we know he can give the side and we finally saw some of that last week v Newport, but he needs to improve defensively and as with the right hand side we need to find a way of getting the left back involved when teams shut that space down, that comes down to our tactics and formation in front of the full backs. The management haven’t really come up with a solution to that and as such for the majority of the season our attacking threat from full backs hasn’t been what we’d like.

Hannant awful for the majority of games and came good since in spells and has at least got himself on the scoresheet, but never in danger of being dropped. Smith poor for the first few games and rightly dropped.

Miller and Pope up front, miller has looked lively despite having a bad game v tranmere, imo that relationship needs time to gel.

But overall we’ve not kept a settled side and I think we’re all over the place. If I was the owner I’d be concerned that it looks like the manager doesn’t know what his best team is, is playing players out of position when arguably there are options in the correct position not playing and he isn’t giving a huge new squad time to gel and settle down.

I’m going to a stick my neck and say that given the managements trigger finger that today we will probably see some other odd choices outside of the obvious montano being out injured.

Thats simply not true. He's our joint top scorer on the wrong wing when he's a central midfielder. We've scored 6 goals and he's been involved in 3. Actually one player who hasn't had a bad game so far.

I don’t feel he’s been one of our better players, I thought in the first 4 games especially he wasn’t playing well at all, and like I mentioned he has shown in spells what he can do with a couple of goals, but I dont feel outside of that he’s offered as much consistency as we know he can do.

Wingbacks should be able get forward and put crosses into the box but for Gibbo id just be happy if he cud play a 5 yard ball that actually reached its target...
I pretty sure Gibbons topped our assists table last season, all from crosses into the box. He has it in him - just needs to regain his confidence.

Gibbo is a decent young full back, but his distribution and on many occassions his positioning is poor and they are two areas that he needs to address. That said, if the boss keeps making him the defensive scapegoat, he is neither going to get the time, nor have the confidence to change it.

Monty defensively is equally inconsistent, yet in comparison, appears to have come in for far less stick, maybe thats because everyone knows LB is not his position or more likely that he has offered a lot more going forward.

Worral has been totally inconsistent, and Hannant's performances only slightly better and have also probably been distorted by one mis hit goal and one brilliant free kick.

Rawlinson has been steady but the one draw back is his total lack of speed, and teams will target that as the season goes on.

Miller is a bit of an enigma, a record breaking scoring record in the NL which hasn't as yet been translated to Div 2, but in truth, when he gets the ball to feet he is the only player we have who actually looks like making things happen, not only that, considering (Saturday apart) the service he's had game on game has been non existent, I still thing he, along with Manny, will prove to be Aspins best signings.

The absence of the latter though has undoubtedly been our biggest blow, as I think we all agree, the lad looked like he has a real touch of class about him and god, how much are we missing that at the moment, the quicker he comes back the better.

Clarke has settled in the team so well, and looks like he has been playing for us for years and am hoping the same with Hardcastle who I was really impressed with last weekend.

Popey as usual gives everything, but is it just me is he being penalised far more than previously? We all know how great he is the air, but as he holds the ball up so well wouldn't it serve the team better if he too had the ball played to feet so he can bring in others, especially the midfield.

Legge and Brown have by some distance, been our most consistent performers thus far, and looking at all the above is why I remain convinced we can have a half decent season, the one draw back, as we again all agree is our negative approach, so lets hope, regardless of the fact that we are away that at last it all comes together.

2-1 victory will do very nicely!

Agree with all apart from Gibbons he is god awful but with Monty out I think Aspin will have to pick him today
Gibbons is far from God awful. I'd have him in my side every week. With the lack of creativity on our team he is essential. A poor game when his confidence has been shattered by the manager and suddenly he is awful. He needs to be encouraged not a victim of Aspins consistent team changes.

Archived