onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brown is NOT the answer!

RayWalkers40yarder

Hmm stops the rot at one end before he gets working on the other end of the pitch. Two clean sheets in 2 games after a ****storm of ineptitude beforehand. Yes Browny's had a proper shocker. Get rid.

Seriously, this forum sometimes :doh:

I can't imagine it would've been any different under Bruno. We played two absolutely dire sides and Alnwick to thank for the clean sheets. I'm sorry but we should be setting are sights higher than accepting a point against the worst side in the league who have the worst home form and couldn't hit a barn door.

Can't judge him after 2 games but my god it needs to improve.

Advert

hi all. just would like to comment on the current situation surrounding the club at the moment. i would like to say that we should be looking for an experienced manager to get us out of this muck mess. the squad needs thinning and more quality bringing in instead of 20000 players who wouldnt get a game at stafford rangers. also i think brown needs another year or 2 as assistant before getting to grips with actual management. thoughts?

I think it's very simplistic that simply adding experience will be the answer. If it was only experience that was needed Arsene Wenger would win the league every year and no new rookie managers would ever be appointed.

I think you have to give Brown more than 180 minutes in charge to form an opinion. He has the January transfer window to make some changes. However, I do think it will take longer than the next 30-odd days to solve all the squad difficulties and we may have to wait till the summer till the squad is no longer bloated. I won't be judging Brown too harshly on this window. He'll get what he can but he's got to act quickly and in limited time - I think the summer would be a better opportunity to see what he's like buying and selling.

I would think that ten games in we'll have a good idea if Brown is good enough. Just because he lacks experience doesn't mean too much in my book. Everyone has to start somewhere and sometime. I really don't care if he has ten games experience or a thousand games experience as long as they are good enough.

If Brown works well in the transfer window and brings in better players and the results improve than great - if he doesn't then he's only caretaker and the club can look elsewhere.

Personally, I backed Brown in the summer (I blogged saying I felt he would be a choice that gives stability and continuity) and I do now. I think he's got bags of lower league experience as a player and I think he comes across as a sensible, level-headed type but not one to shirk a challenge. I wish him all the best but we'll all know who's right in ten games time...

As the manager isnt the one who wears the shirt and has to put his faith in the players he chooses to select then if what he has to select from cannot do the job then it isnt always the managers fault .

Ive only seen the home games and some performances have being good in fairness.

The Chesterfield game compared to the Northampton game was dire but we won because we were organised yet v Northampton we were entertaining but sloppy so in his short time in charge he has stopped goals going in at our end .

However going the other way we r abject .

Id love hear from he supporters who follow them away every game because they have being a disgrace generally .

When was the last time we scored away .

Oldham dominating us i believe ,Shrewsbury ,Sheffield Utd could have had 8 as could have Wimbledon ( yes Wimbledon ) ,how far have we sunk .

Good luck Browny u will need it but i feel he will do a good job .

Id get rid of all the midfield ,then dont score they dont control games ,they dont have the winning mentality ,they dont entertain ,they r negative .

Page was dross Bruno was a breath of fresh air then was worse than dross.

But the players r immune from criticism not in my world they aint .

I can't imagine it would've been any different under Bruno. We played two absolutely dire sides and Alnwick to thank for the clean sheets. I'm sorry but we should be setting are sights higher than accepting a point against the worst side in the league who have the worst home form and couldn't hit a barn door.

Can't judge him after 2 games but my god it needs to improve.

I have no faith whatsoever that we would have kept a clean sheet in either game with Bruno/Smith still at the club. Your goalkeeper is allowed to save you, but he shouldn't be doing it 7 or 8 times a match like he was before Bruno left.

Our defensive play was markedly different, from the closing down up top to the tracking back and two banks of four as soon as we lost the ball. He's fixing the leaks before moving on to our forward play. Totally agree we need to improve, but everything won't change overnight, particularly with the creative spark and forward play lacking in quality. I would have appointed Brown in the summer (He was my choice at the time). Experience in a manager just isn't a must-have for me.

Our defensive play was markedly different, from the closing down up top to the tracking back and two banks of four as soon as we lost the ball. He's fixing the leaks before moving on to our forward play.

I fully agree and lots of other good managers work in the same way - first make your side hard to beat (which he's done with two cleansheets). Then work on the other areas.

Brown's had two games in quick succession, had three days of the transfer window and lost his main striker, so is it any wonder he's sorting the defence first? How's he meant to create a free-scoring attack from Cicilia, rookie Dan Turner and (unavailable through injury) Forrester?

He's working with what he's got which means shoring up the defence and the midfield to begin with.

The forward improvements will only come through new players and today Brown is saying the club is working hard but fans need to be patient for new arrivals.

I hope some fans are.

Some sensible points on here.

I don't think you can underestimate how difficult it is to instigate change half way through a season, with someone else's players (most of whom are not good enough), when confidence is low and nearly all the good players at this level have been snapped up in pre-season. It's virtually an impossible task. You get the odd success story but most teams in trouble in January get relegated in May because there isn't the time available to plan out a new route map with new players and new tactics.

Brown needs a bit of time and patience. The Chairman and previous manager have left him a real mess to sort out and things won't change overnight.

I have no faith whatsoever that we would have kept a clean sheet in either game with Bruno/Smith still at the club. Your goalkeeper is allowed to save you, but he shouldn't be doing it 7 or 8 times a match like he was before Bruno left.

Our defensive play was markedly different, from the closing down up top to the tracking back and two banks of four as soon as we lost the ball. He's fixing the leaks before moving on to our forward play. Totally agree we need to improve, but everything won't change overnight, particularly with the creative spark and forward play lacking in quality. I would have appointed Brown in the summer (He was my choice at the time). Experience in a manager just isn't a must-have for me.

Hes clearly getting the players in front of the back 4 to put more of a shift in in tracking back and generally working harder without the ball too.

The highest rated of managers, Klopp, Morinio etc. could not get the current Vale squad in the top six.

They might and Brown might if four or five good quality players can be brought into the club.

The cash may not be available to get such players, but with the introduction of two or three new faces Brown could take the team to a much higher place in L1. That would be a good basis to start next season along with the increase in experience of young fringe players that could prove to be an asset.

So called experienced managers who are available will be managers who have failed elsewhere. I think Michael Brown deserves a chance, his playing pedigree is good, he knows the club and he is a hard worker who wants to improve.

If we went outside the club then we should look at an up and coming young manager. My tip for the top is Danny Cowley at Lincoln City. His managerial record at three non league clubs is incredible. There is zero chance of Vale going for him, but he is definitely a name to watch for the future. I would liken him to Matin O'Neill and his journey through non league management to the top.

However, staying on thread, Michael Brown should get until the end of the season to try to sort out our current mess. If he can do that he would deserve a much longer contract at the end of it.

He's had two games, harsh to say he isn't up to it.

However, his comment that he was in no rush to make signings was slightly concerning, we need a striker asap. I get that he wants the right quality etc. but time is of the essence if we want to arrest any slide towards relegation.

He needs to be given time, he knows the club, has brought in decent backroom staff and knows what is required even Jesus would find it hard to have instant success with what he has been left with, the man is a worker and a winner he needs support from us all.

Some sensible points on here.

I don't think you can underestimate how difficult it is to instigate change half way through a season, with someone else's players (most of whom are not good enough), when confidence is low and nearly all the good players at this level have been snapped up in pre-season. It's virtually an impossible task. You get the odd success story but most teams in trouble in January get relegated in May because there isn't the time available to plan out a new route map with new players and new tactics.

Brown needs a bit of time and patience. The Chairman and previous manager have left him a real mess to sort out and things won't change overnight.

Whichever level you play at, and no matter what time of the year it is, good players are hard to come by. If they're without a club, then you'll have to make a good enough offer to the player. If they're already employed then you'll have to do that AND offer enough to their club to make it worthwhile for them to part with the player.

Either way, it costs, and I don't think Smurf needs any of us to tell him that, but in a competitive situation he has to be committed enough to want to pay. That's the only sticking point for me; he's put his hand in his pocket enough times, it's true, but was that more to do with protecting his investment and allowing us to survive at this level than allowing us to progress? That's the so far unanswered question. At the moment I'd take survival but longer term we need progress.

Archived