onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Southend Utd

robf

Read like a one sided event first half and the stats didnt look good... dont know if it was a good game or not but it was a good result whatever the performance was like... lets hope it gives the players a little confidence.

It seems bruno wont give a reason why purkiss wasnt playing... good for him, it should stay in house... Im appy hope your appy too

No way was it a one sided event 1st half. Southend were poor both halves where as we grew into the game. I never really felt that the defence would concede and we will improve as the new players get the pace of league one football.

Advert

Read like a one sided event first half and the stats didnt look good... dont know if it was a good game or not but it was a good result whatever the performance was like... lets hope it gives the players a little confidence.

It seems bruno wont give a reason why purkiss wasnt playing... good for him, it should stay in house... Im appy hope your appy too

There was never really a time that Southend dominated. They had extended attacks including one for a few minutes immediately before we scored the first goal.

Other than the effot which was cleared off the line they didn't really trouble Alnwick, however, I have to say Alnwick was fantastic generally today, he came for a few crosses and bravely dived at the feet of their striker to claim a ball.

Bloody hell there is some crap spouted on here although i fear the majority of it comes from those didn't go to the game as per usual. Given I did make the effort (despite still being in work in Manchester at twenty past one) i will put in my two penneth worth.

Overall, a really decent performance against a side who may not have been very good, but had a game plan to disrupt, agitate, and kick lumps out of us. There was one team trying to play football and another team trying to spoil. Thankfully, football won out!

A slow start yes, but i thought you could see the side visibly growing in confidence during the game and i think the win will do a lot to settle nerves both within the team and amongst the fans. There is still plenty of work to do as would be expected with what is essentially a new team 3 games into a new season but there were promising signs all over the pitch and much cause for optimism.

We are trying to play good, passing football as Bruno said he would. Sometimes it can verge on being a bit too tippy-tappy but I'm sure a balance will be struck in time as the foreign arrivals adapt to English football and the lads get used to each others games. The concern that the foreign additions won't do the physical stuff was challenged today as Tavares, Knops and Mac-Intosh all battled admirably. We won't get too many more stern physical tests than this Southend side today and the fact we competed on the physical level in order for our superior football to win out is most pleasing.

Positives for me as follows:

- Really impressed with Tavares, has a good range of passing, works hard and isn't afraid to get stuck in. Ultimately i feel we will end up with a central midfield 3 this season, be it as part of a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1 (maybe the former at home/latter away?) and we potentially have a fantastic balance with Grant as the muscle, Tavares with the guile and Foley with the energy- 3 things a good midfield requires

-Back four looked solid as they did at Bradford and 2 clean sheets in 2 league games isn't to be sniffed at

-Forrester looked decent and linked up reasonably well with JJ

-The overall workrate of the team was outstanding. Bruno is constantly mentioning the importance of hard work and it was evident out on the park today

Overall, still work to do but i feel much more optimistic for the season ahead following todays efforts. Well done lads and well done Bruno.

First game for me this season and on reflection of the game is summed up by scored a very good first goal after intense Southend pressure and Streetes goal a beauty ok he was only 7 yards but he smashed it home .

Performance wise 5 out of 10

Effort 10

Entertanment 5

Crowd very poor 4772 odd not good at all but thats where we r at present .

Foley very good but i feel the back four won us that game and forrester who surprised me how well he played .

The right back no nonsense but looked ropey at times ,the left back very good ,Tavares looks like he needs encouragement his performance level went up when the noise level went up .

Streete and Smith superb for players so young really stood up well to cox and them .

Do i think we can do well who knows ,i didnt come away from the ground purring but the signs r they play as a team with everyone putting maximum effort in .

No way was it a one sided event 1st half. Southend were poor both halves where as we grew into the game. I never really felt that the defence would concede and we will improve as the new players get the pace of league one football.

There was never really a time that Southend dominated. They had extended attacks including one for a few minutes immediately before we scored the first goal.

Other than the effot which was cleared off the line they didn't really trouble Alnwick, however, I have to say Alnwick was fantastic generally today, he came for a few crosses and bravely dived at the feet of their striker to claim a ball.

I only had william hill to go by, gave up with the BBC, for what seemed a long time it was, or appeared, mainly one way... I dont mind being wrong but one or two posters indicated we didnt get off to a good start, down to opinion I suppose... but still a good result.

Its true what they say, goals change games, and that was the case yesterday. We were garbage before we scored. Improved after the break but no real goal threat. We rode our luck a couple of times, but that's football i guess. Just wish we'd test the keeper more as in truth he had a quiet game apart from picking the ball out the net twice. lol. Southend were a poor poor side, and they'll be bottom 4 come April. We need keep Grant at all costs as losing him will be a big big blow. And Foley deserved his motm award yesterday.

The attendance was dreadful. Does anyone know the last time we didn't get 5k for the opening first home game of the season?

I thought we played average but so did Southend we got better as the game went on so good 3 points overall,under page and Adams I think we would have lost that game but Bruno seems to know how to to set up his defence..left feeling optimistic that going forward we will improve.

your opinion on southend is that they are relegation fodder oldsage, if weve potentially beat relegation fodder what do you make us to be so far on the two *league* showings?

baring in mind we drew with one of the more favourable promotion favourites bradford, sheff utd have started woefully and charlton look dreadful so far.

As I have already said it is way to early to make any assumptions or predictions. Yes I'm delighted with the points on the table but lets see what the table tells us by the end of October when a pattern will have emerged.

I only had william hill to go by, gave up with the BBC, for what seemed a long time it was, or appeared, mainly one way... I dont mind being wrong but one or two posters indicated we didnt get off to a good start, down to opinion I suppose... but still a good result.

The first half was awful by both teams. The highlight was the goal which came against the run of play. Second half better but far from convincing. The big bonus was the impact of the subs which was all positive.

If we can keep getting results whilst we find our feet we will have a good platform for the season. I was less convinced about the defense than some other posters but we did keep a clean sheet which have been a rarity in the past. All good for confidence and you could see us grow in confidence as the game went on.

I think this game shows that once we bring in a pacy attacking winger then Smurf HAS GOT TO get to work on extended contracts for Foley,Grant and Smith and do it NOW not in 7mths time,give them a decent wage,security and even put in a clause that they can go if x amount is offered....lets do this TOGETHER

I think this game shows that once we bring in a pacy attacking winger then Smurf HAS GOT TO get to work on extended contracts for Foley,Grant and Smith and do it NOW not in 7mths time,give them a decent wage,security and even put in a clause that they can go if x amount is offered....lets do this TOGETHER
your comment about a pacey winger who can cross the ball are right on the money. The striker desperately need service because there was only a couple of good centres put in that is how both goals came about.

Well I'm appy!

Grant, Foley, Smith, Street and Tavares are the backbone of a good side. Defreitas, when he came on was excellent.

Very early days but most of us would have taken 4 points so early.

We are going to have good days and bad but I'm optimistic that we are starting to see a shape of a footballing squad to enjoy. UTV.

Archived