onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Southend Utd

robf

Advert

It was the 2nd game! How can you say survival will be a very big achievement after two matches!?!?! And we kept two clean sheets in those two matches! Stop talking out your backside!

Left back we have two injuries... Knopps been excellent there. Right back we have Yates injured and purkiss not selected it's not like we don't have them!

People would've been more than happy with it. Pages performance at home was never an issue it was the away showings that were!

I'm well aware of the injuries and the alleged fall out - all the more irritating that we're signing a goalkeeper!

I haven't seen anything so far that has convinced me that we won't struggle. I'm allowed to express that opinion.

I'm well aware of the injuries and the alleged fall out - all the more irritating that we're signing a goalkeeper!

I haven't seen anything so far that has convinced me that we won't struggle. I'm allowed to express that opinion.

Why is it irritating that were signing a keeper? Boot will go out on loan and Alnwick will have some competition...

And once again it's been two games so I have no idea how you can come to that conclusion.

A lot of negativity after a decent performance. Their team is nowhere near as weak on paper as some are making out, they have plenty of players with decent experience at this level.

And you can only beat what's in front of you. I was very encouraged by the Vale, perhaps more than I expected to be.

I thought Knops was the pick of the new signings and was very impressive at left-back. Forrester will be a real handful when fit - his turns and trickery will get him lots of chances. The young defence kept a clean sheet. We have a good goalie. Grant and Foley played really, really well. Tavares looked a good addition to the midfield. That's lots of positives for the first home game of the season...

My thoughts for what they're worth. I thought it was a solid/decent performance against a limited Southend team who have clearly had a poor start(that doesn't necessarily mean they will go down as I heard some saying but I'd be surprised if they get higher than mid-table based on that but you never know, look at Barnsley last season!)

Anyway I thought there were some useful positives. 2 nice goals and I don't think any player played badly they all put a shift in for the cause with imo Foley, Tavares and the back 4 running their cogs off in that respect. By most accounts Tavares was critisised a little for his effort at Bradford but if he puts that sort of workrate in he'll be an excellent player 'at this level' as he is quite a skillful player and has a eye for a good pass anyway. Mac-Intosch and Knops I thought were solid, again you can tell both have been schooled to pass the ball out of the back rather than the traditional 'hoof ball' out from defence that I've got used to with many a British fullback at Vale down the years:keepup: that's not always a critisism(although it sounds like it I know!) but it was refreshing change. I'm perhaps not convinced Calvin is a fullback fulltime but he grew into the game well but Knops especially was excellent.

Smith and Streete were solid as a rock the vast majority of the time I think they only got in trouble the twice once when Alnwick saved in the first half and the one of the line 2nd(on the highlights it was never over but looks to me like Smithy has a bit of luck as it perhaps just flicks his hand? but that's football and you need a bit of luck now and again!)

Hooper and Forrester were positive upfront both showing some good touches and Jerome Thomas again put in an excellent shift on the wing(his experience will be useful throughout the season). DeFreitas was lively when he came on to.

All in all a good start at home, plenty to work on of course but lets just take one game at a time. UTV!

Out of interest where do u see this Vale team finishing this season? I'm assuming you see a play off push?

Mid-table. Perhaps as high as 8th if we use the loan system well throughout the season.

We're very much a work in progress under Bruno. But we won't go down or get anywhere near to this season, so calm your ****! :happy:

And you can only beat what's in front of you. I was very encouraged by the Vale, perhaps more than I expected to be.

I thought Knops was the pick of the new signings and was very impressive at left-back. Forrester will be a real handful when fit - his turns and trickery will get him lots of chances. The young defence kept a clean sheet. We have a good goalie. Grant and Foley played really, really well. Tavares looked a good addition to the midfield. That's lots of positives for the first home game of the season...

Good points well made, lucky it's your forum or you'd get slated for that level of optimism ;)

Does anyone know how I think it was Cicilia is, it looked bad how he was dragging his leg as he was helped off?

Haven't heard or read anything yet, it looked like a stretcher job, but they probably just wanted to get him off quickly. He didn't take any steps at all, they dragged him all the way off the pitch.

I thought we did ok overall after a poor start. We just look a little nervous at the moment which we never got out of at Carlisle and it's how we started against Southend with the goal really helping us to settle down.

Come the second half we started to play with a bit of confidence and although it was far from perfect against a poor side I thougt we were well in control and most of all we started to show the kind of football we want to. Perhaps only in fits and starts but the potential was there.

Big positives were the midfield for me. Once they grew into the game they bossed it with a really good mix of defensive grit and attacking intent. Tavares in particular had some sublime touches and Foley was just in beast mode throughout.

Only little niggle for me was Mac-Intosch doesn't look much of a right back on that showing and against better wingers I think he'd struggle.

Archived