onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Southend Utd

robf

Thought today was a great team performance and a number of individual standout players.

We were slow to start (again) but after 20-30 mins we really came into the game.

All of the new foreign lads, love to get stuck in, they will have no trouble whatsoever on a cold winter Tuesday evening.

Players worth a standout mention:

Foley - everywhere for most of the game, looked a lot better playing a touch deeper after Cecil went off, but what a cross for the 1st goal!!! And it was his corner that led to the 2nd goal.

Tavares - the man has got some tekkers and he ain't afraid of getting stuck in!! Hardest man on the pitch today and played some wonderful balls as well as looking like he had 1/2hr extra on the ball all the time!

Smith - I thought he had a storming game, for a lad of 20, he players with such maturity in the positions he picks up, won virtually ever header and knew when to stick and foot it. We have a right gem on our hands their.... Carries on like that he'll be off-ski for a wee bit of cash

Forester - the lad was head and shoulders above anyone else today, scored a fantastic header, but you can see how much of a good player he is, his touch, strength, turn of pace finding that extra 1/2yard on the turn. Never stopped running, for the entire time he was on the pitch, his knock back to Streete for the 2nd goal as well. Must start Tuesday.

I could go on, they all played their part today, but they were the games contenders for me.

For a team that has been together 4-6 weeks, they are only going to get better. We looked great today, vast improvement on last season.... Even at this early stage. Really hopeful for the season, things are looking up, get yourselves down on Tuesday.

Thoroughly enjoyed today's team performance. UTV

Advert

Come on spunk trumpet, TJH, Sages etc why no posts?

Because ive been at work today fella and about to go back there again now!

Three points. Two clean sheets. Not a great performance by all acounts but just like last Saturday im chuffed at the result. Long may it continue.

There will be bigger, harder tests along the way. But at least we have something to build on.

We need JJ and Anton paired together in a two and get a good run of games and form a partnership in my opinion.

I suppose you thought i would be in a dark room because we won?

My concerns still remain. A win against a poor Southend team hasnt changed my mind but you can only beat what is put in front of you.

Onto Tuesday now and hopefully another three points!

If you believe that there's no hope for you and you are not a true supporter.

Well the first half wasn't great and the atmosphere for most of the game til we went 2 up was flat. Just my opinion though.

It was a very welcome result and we have some positives to take from it, the defensive performance, grant, foley, forester and Tavares too.

Southend will treat us like a fish, we're in for a battering.Well the chips on your shoulders will go well with it .

We won't score in a million years or perhaps 40 minutes and will have about 6 points on the board by Christmas Or maybe by Tuesday about 9.40pm.

I'm completely outside my comfort zone with all these Johnny Foreigner players and manager Is that because you are xenophobic and racist, as well as a bad judge of football and can't see how they can possibly be as good as a team of British-only players.Is this post for real ?[/B]

Just because it works in the Premier League doesn't mean it'll work anywhere else. I wish I hadn't bought another season ticket now,As do all the poor sods sitting near you I'd be much happier listening to the radio commentary and moaning my bag off to the missusPoor woman, hope she has earplugs?[/[/bCOLOR].

I could be first on the post match phone in too.

Any post match thoughts ?

I think we are capable of good counter attacking football and have a solid defence but our attacking play in the first half reflects being a new team. I guess we have 6 defenders / defensive players and 4 committed to attacking, so that is what is happening on the pitch. I think on the Vale Pitch, which is big, Southend were able to play round and through on occasions but there was good last ditch defending and goalkeeping. I think Bruno looks a good manager to me. He had the team supremely well organized at Bradford last weekend in what was a really difficult opening day game in this league. He is savvy enough to realize that to start with, until the team settles and learns his way and gets used to playing together, the back door must be shut. It helps that we have better centre halves this year. I worry that we are being watched and we need to improve because of that quickly. I mean a team will come with a plan well thought out to defeat our game plan and one way would be to get the tricky wingers out and target the centre halves we have at fullback on the deck.

Just shows that we aren't missing Dicko, Duffy and Mc Givern.

the atmosphere was flat because michael wasnt there, i would love us to start a campaign to please make sure michael attends more games, his views on everything port vale are truley godlike genius. :wub:

Don't bother using my posts for your baiting and trolling agenda which is present throughout the forum on every thread.

I think we are capable of good counter attacking football and have a solid defence but our attacking play in the first half reflects being a new team. I guess we have 6 defenders / defensive players and 4 committed to attacking, so that is what is happening on the pitch. I think on the Vale Pitch, which is big, Southend were able to play round and through on occasions but there was good last ditch defending and goalkeeping. I think Bruno looks a good manager to me. He had the team supremely well organized at Bradford last weekend in what was a really difficult opening day game in this league. He is savvy enough to realize that to start with, until the team settles and learns his way and gets used to playing together, the back door must be shut. It helps that we have better centre halves this year. I worry that we are being watched and we need to improve because of that quickly. I mean a team will come with a plan well thought out to defeat our game plan and one way would be to get the tricky wingers out and target the centre halves we have at fullback on the deck.

I think for us to be able to play good counter attacking football we need to play with a bit more pace and move the ball quicker too. Having hooper out wide gives us pace, when defrietas came on I thought he added a bit more directness than Thomas. One of the things that holds us back a bit attacking wise is that our full backs didn't overlap, maybe that's one of Bruno's directives with us playing centre halfs in those positions? In the friendlies I saw in preseason the proper fullbacks kiko, purkiss, yates and gibbons all supported the wingers well. But it's clearly still a work in progress (attacking play). At least we've got off to a solid start.

Thought today was a great team performance and a number of individual standout players.

We were slow to start (again) but after 20-30 mins we really came into the game.

All of the new foreign lads, love to get stuck in, they will have no trouble whatsoever on a cold winter Tuesday evening.

Players worth a standout mention:

Foley - everywhere for most of the game, looked a lot better playing a touch deeper after Cecil went off, but what a cross for the 1st goal!!! And it was his corner that led to the 2nd goal.

Tavares - the man has got some tekkers and he ain't afraid of getting stuck in!! Hardest man on the pitch today and played some wonderful balls as well as looking like he had 1/2hr extra on the ball all the time!

Smith - I thought he had a storming game, for a lad of 20, he players with such maturity in the positions he picks up, won virtually ever header and knew when to stick and foot it. We have a right gem on our hands their.... Carries on like that he'll be off-ski for a wee bit of cash

Forester - the lad was head and shoulders above anyone else today, scored a fantastic header, but you can see how much of a good player he is, his touch, strength, turn of pace finding that extra 1/2yard on the turn. Never stopped running, for the entire time he was on the pitch, his knock back to Streete for the 2nd goal as well. Must start Tuesday.

I could go on, they all played their part today, but they were the games contenders for me.

For a team that has been together 4-6 weeks, they are only going to get better. We looked great today, vast improvement on last season.... Even at this early stage. Really hopeful for the season, things are looking up, get yourselves down on Tuesday.

Thoroughly enjoyed today's team performance. UTV

Great post. Carlisle was shocking but nobody can fault the effort the team has put in, in our 2 league games so far. 4 points out of 6 and zero goals conceded... Credit to all the staff and players, and long may it continue.

I said on here before the game that it was a 'must-win' game and I stand by my comment. It was imperative that we start our home league campaign with a win and I'm glad to say the lads all worked hard to ensure it went that way.

Both the crowd and the team were probably unsure as to how the team would perform especially after the Carlisle game and given Southend's poor start to the season no-one I think had any clue as to how the game would pan out......hence my comments on it being a 'must-win' game. The type of game we need to win consistently to give the team time to gel and the fans something to get behind and believe in.

People have said on here that the crowd seemed 'flat' but I think that was more in keeping with the nervousness of both the crowd and the team in the first half but both seemed to perk up after the first goal.

Certainly we looked more intent on not conceding rather than scoring in the first half and the first 40 minutes were completely dire - cue a little bit of magic and a really well taken headed goal and we all trouped off for out half time brew with some relief.

Second half and we played with much more confidence and the second goal condemned a very poor Southend side to the inevitable defeat.

Some good individual performances and the lads seem to want to play for each other. Grant really needs to be persuaded to stay and young Smith definitely looks to be one for the future.

Two games in and no goals conceded, four points in the bag and a very happy BHF. It's early days but the more points we can amass in these first few games whilst all teams are bedding in the better.

Well played lads, not the prettiest game we will see this season and there will be plenty of sterner tests that's for sure but these are the games that will define our season so well done all.

Another clean sheet and some nice football. Much better second half after a shaky opening.

Forrester, Knops and Tavares were all good in my eyes. Foley on another level. De Freitas came on and looked lively.

Full backs are overrated.

They were poor but you can't knock 4 points from 6 with 2 clean sheets. Good stuff.

how can you say full backs overated and in the same breath say knops was good playing right back were you there

how can you say full backs overated and in the same breath say knops was good playing right back were you there

I have addressed this once about 5 posts ago so please keep up.

I mean the idea of a 'full-back', the position, Ben Purkiss and Kiko, Roberto Carlos and Cafu etc. is overrated, as we kept a clean sheet with 4 centre backs.

It was meant as a joke but obviously you have to be 100% crystal clear on OVF to prevent the 'doom-mongerer' SWAT team smashing through your windows and telling you you're 'not a real fan'.

Knops played left back, were you there?

Read like a one sided event first half and the stats didnt look good... dont know if it was a good game or not but it was a good result whatever the performance was like... lets hope it gives the players a little confidence.

It seems bruno wont give a reason why purkiss wasnt playing... good for him, it should stay in house... Im appy hope your appy too

Archived