onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday thread: Port Vale v Southend Utd

robf

There was a few concerns about how they could handle the physicality of this league when moving from abroad but from what i saw today they were all very strong and all managed to hold onto the ball even while the Southend players were practicing rugby tackles. Slow first half which wasn't very entertaining with neither side truly stepping up but the second half we woke up and won the game comfortably. De Freitas on the wing was the highlight of the match for me, he went on a run and absolutely embarrassed a few Southend players. I agree with the man of the match going to Sam though. Well done lads, more on Tuesday please!

Advert

We weren't brilliant but you can only beat what's put in front of you.Back four were solid again and two clean sheets so far says it all.Forrester and JJ up top were an improvement but in my opinion we need another wide right player to compliment the team.Sam Foley was easily the MOTM and Lee Probert was easily the worst man on the pitch,yet again.

Three points to the Vale,onwards and upwards.

Roll on Tuesday.

UTV.

We weren't brilliant but you can only beat what's put in front of you.Back four were solid again and two clean sheets so far says it all.Forrester and JJ up top were an improvement but in my opinion we need another wide right player to compliment the team.Sam Foley was easily the MOTM and Lee Probert was easily the worst man on the pitch,yet again.

Three points to the Vale,onwards and upwards.

Roll on Tuesday.

UTV.

This match shows that If Norman wants to make money selling players he has g to sign Sam Foley and Anthony Grant on new two year contracts. He can't do his usual wait to offer reduced terms and expect them to stay.

Perhaps a longer contract to Nathan Smith would help him attract good money for these outstanding players.

i dont think you need to call my comment silly.

my opinion is that, personally for me, we won, the job is done, we move onto tuesday, ask for the same again, a two nil win, clean sheet, it's simple really when you put it like that.

No because that's not how football works.

Bruno won't turn up on Monday morning and ask the players for the same again. Rochdale are a different side than Southend and will have different strengths and weaknesses. It really isn't simple when you put it like that.

There were positives today but there is a lot to improve on as well, not really sure what issue you're taking with that.

A good win that should do wonders for confidence but it was a very scrappy, long ball game with the ball in the air more often than it was on the ground.

We survived an aerial bombardment because that was all they could do, apart from being very physical, and pushing and shoving a lot. Surprisingly they only had three men booked.

Everyone gave their best efforts but I wouldn't want to play with two centre halves as full backs for much longer because they barely got beyond the half way line. Knopps' distribution is good but he and Mac-Intosch need to be stronger physically at times.

Smith and especially Streete (today) were excellent. Streete took his goal like a striker. Really pleased for him.

The midfield three of Grant, Tavares and Foley all covered an awful lot of ground and did very well.

Where we are not so bright is in the final third. We look a bit static at times and don't have any real pace in the team. As others have said, JJ was largely on the right, not central, which is not his best position. Forrester did very well. A lovely header for the goal and he held up the ball well in the second half. Looked very promising. Thomas did ok and was another fully committed player but isn't the quickest and I wish he was a bit more direct but like all the others he gave 100% and you can't ask for more.

Cecilia looked to have a bad injury, and went off after only ten minutes. Tavares also went off after being fouled for the whole game.

I wouldn't cross the road to watch Southend play. Horrible team of thuggish, over physical players but I guess that's what Brown demanded from them after losing so many. They have one trick in their locker - a long high ball and our lads really stood up and were brave and strong.

A super win. Brilliant for confidence. But much harder tasks lie ahead and we still need, in my view, a good quick winger.

Come on spunk trumpet, TJH, Sages etc why no posts?
OK here goes the first half was dire and we scored a beautiful goal which the game in truth didn't really deserve. Goals change games and most fans opinions though and so the team got clapped off instead of a chorus of boos.

The second half was better but we still rode our luck when Southend hit the post and the ball rolled along the goal line with the away fans claiming it had crossed the line. The second goal a good strike from Streete killed the game.

Over all 3 good points but the result must be measured against the opposition who to me look like relegation fodder on that showing.

It is far too early to make any assumptions.

Don't get me wrong always happy with a win but sounded god awful today a better team would have taken us apart, still alot of work to do.

How do you know that? You didn't go. As has been pointed out on here, you can't rely on what is said on the radio. I don't understand a Vale fan not going the first home game (circumstances permitting of course) - great chance to have a first "proper" look at the newbies. I saw 9 players for the first time today. I thought it was a decent second half and we grew in to the game. Looked solid at the back but a bit short up top. Thought Forrester did quite well. I was very worried that the new signings would struggle but am encouraged after today - I for one am glad i went! People wanted Page gone (I think he did well in the circumstances) and the "deadwood" out - you've certainly got that, and yet still it's moan, moan, moan on here.

Love to say I'm surprised about the comments on here, but in not.

A game we should have won and did. A shakey first 30 mins maybe but after that fairly comfortable. A solid away performance followed by three points at home. You'd need to be a ***** not to be happy with that.....

Archived