onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pitch/ground

rider1308

3 minutes ago, bobbymanc said:

Why relocate with a new stadium? Can't we just knock down half the ground (Railway and Bycars) then build half a new ground in replacement closer to the pitch? Someone buying the ground for redevelopment would have to knock it all down anyway, with the cost of that factored into any development value. The area between the pitch on the Railway Stand is massive. There'd be an opportunity to do something beneficial on the land behind a new Railway and Bycars to stand to recoup some of the cost. 

The pitch itself could be moved towards Lorne St allowing a New Railway to move even more and give a compact feel to the ground.

Advert

Really?  I’d say to build a new stand would cost significantly more than to refurbish, you haven’t got to dig that massive bank out for a start.   New bogs and kiosks would cost peanuts relatively speaking.
Anyhow, folks saying that the Railway will be condemned but where has that line come from?  It’s a bit of a leap from the club saying there’s restrictions on numbers for simple reasons such as facilities and such.
You’re last sentence is a bit strange.  Yes, we are Port Vale, and quite obviously cost will be a factor, just as they would be with any other football club, or business for that matter.  We’re not unique in that regard.
It would cost more to refurbish.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I haven't read the whole thread) but for me the priority isn't redeveloping or rebuilding the Railway - it would be getting the £100k (or however much it is now) to allow people into the other half of the LS.

The logic in concentrating on that section is clear in my opinion:

1. it's circa 1-2,000 extra (and brand new) home seats. It comes complete with a covered concourse and unobstructed views.

2. The completion is relatively simple. No worrying about old ironwork, big grass banks and what mineshafts etc may be unearthed under the Railway, it's simply a case of outfitting the concourse. It's fairly cheap (in football stadium terms) and little danger of any extra costs (which could happen with the Railway if subsidence, mineshafts were uncovered etc)

3. It's going to be a dedicated family stand which is surely going to be more attractive (i.e. it's modern and has a concourse) than the block in the Bycars right now. That's got to help with the long-term goal of bringing more youngsters into the fanbase. It's also nice and close to the proposed new, expanded fanzone when that opens next season.

4. Not only that but with the switch to the Hamil End, there's a need for the family area in the Bycars to be replaced with another part of the stand - that half of the LS stand is a far more obvious solution than saying allocating a block of the Hamil End.

5. Once the players' gym is relocated (unless it has been already) to the new players 'building then the construction work is pretty simple. No need to close down significant areas of the ground - it's just work clearing out the concourse - it's even work that could conceivably still progress once next season is underway. 

6. Finally, there's a fans fund which has already raised some money for the work. With a bit of a push and some events (e.g. bucket collections at this season's remaining games) it could raise quite a bit more. It may not raise it all but it could make the club's own expenditure a lot less. 

Yes, other areas of the ground will need replacing but for me a quick and (relatively) cheap option for this summer would be to get that section open. Then you can look at the bigger jobs. 

You'd need to finish the Lorne Street first to allow the Railway to be closed and redeveloped if that was the case or the capacity would be tiny.

Assuming the swap has happened if you close the Railway Paddock/Stand you have 4500 plus is it about 1700 in the Lorne Street for Home fans only? (with Bycars for away) so only enough for around 6200 home fans and that assumes no restrictions on capacity at the time in those stands. At least if thats finished you'd still have 8000 roughly capacity for home fans which should tide us over in most cases whilst re-development work is carried out.

5 hours ago, robf said:

Sorry if this has been mentioned before (I haven't read the whole thread) but for me the priority isn't redeveloping or rebuilding the Railway - it would be getting the £100k (or however much it is now) to allow people into the other half of the LS.

1. it's circa 1-2,000 extra (and brand new) home seats. It comes complete with a covered concourse and unobstructed views.

2. The completion is relatively simple. No worrying about old ironwork, big grass banks and what mineshafts etc may be unearthed under the Railway, it's simply a case of outfitting the concourse. It's fairly cheap (in football stadium terms) and little danger of any extra costs (which could happen with the Railway if subsidence, mineshafts were uncovered etc)

3. It's going to be a dedicated family stand which is surely going to be more attractive (i.e. it's modern and has a concourse) than the block in the Bycars right now. That's got to help with the long-term goal of bringing more youngsters into the fanbase. It's also nice and close to the proposed new, expanded fanzone when that opens next season.

4. Not only that but with the switch to the Hamil End, there's a need for the family area in the Bycars to be replaced with another part of the stand - that half of the LS stand is a far more obvious solution than saying allocating a block of the Hamil End.

5. Once the players' gym is relocated (unless it has been already) to the new players 'building then the construction work is pretty simple. No need to close down significant areas of the ground - it's just work clearing out the concourse - it's even work that could conceivably still progress once next season is underway. 

6. Finally, there's a fans fund which has already raised some money for the work. With a bit of a push and some events (e.g. bucket collections at this season's remaining games) it could raise quite a bit more. It may not raise it all but it could make the club's own expenditure a lot less. 

Yes, other areas of the ground will need replacing but for me a quick and (relatively) cheap option for this summer would be to get that section open. Then you can look at the bigger jobs. 

Talking about raising money rob, twice since Christmas I have attempted to buy 50/50 draw tickets on entering the railway stand as I always do . , Boxing Day at about 2.30 the chap said  he just sold last one but go to tea bar ,well having seen the queue I gave it a mis , same happened against Wycombe, my mate said was going get coffee and would get 2x 50/50 tickets , guess what got none, Now if this is repeated around the ground a good few quid is going down the drain 

14 hours ago, bertiepee said:

Talking about raising money rob, twice since Christmas I have attempted to buy 50/50 draw tickets on entering the railway stand as I always do . , Boxing Day at about 2.30 the chap said  he just sold last one but go to tea bar ,well having seen the queue I gave it a mis , same happened against Wycombe, my mate said was going get coffee and would get 2x 50/50 tickets , guess what got none, Now if this is repeated around the ground a good few quid is going down the drain 

Tell the seller to ask for more tickets , no extra cost involved . Also the new lottery has yet to be launched , its been a long time since the lucky 7 was scrapped .

14 hours ago, bertiepee said:

Not only that, but constantly running out of food and drink, over a season must be loosing out on several thousand £.

i can buy Wrights pies for £1.50 p in the co-op obviously that’s with the co-op profit added, I wouldn’t mind betting , at £3 each, there’s a 200% mark up on cost price.

The fundamental problem is that Port Vale isn't a viable business. It hasn't been since I went to my first game in 1977. So ground development and improvement is a benevolent activity financed by the owners with occasional exceptions. 

Maybe the reforms put forward by the Government in the White Paper will help. But I'm expecting to go to my grave with clubs like Port Vale not being viable businesses. 

15 hours ago, bertiepee said:

you could buy 50/50 ticket online if you had access to do so but i do get your point though.

50/50 draw i think it was stated the other week that it was an online ticket holder had won can the same be done for the rest of the ground  ie ticket brought loarne street /railway/ bycars /boxes.  As they must have a start and finish numberfor each part of the ground. 

39 minutes ago, rsb said:

50/50 draw i think it was stated the other week that it was an online ticket holder had won can the same be done for the rest of the ground  ie ticket brought loarne street /railway/ bycars /boxes.  As they must have a start and finish numberfor each part of the ground. 

Not sure I get your point here, if someone is buying a ticket online, surely it doesn’t matter what part of the ground they sit in.

or am I misreading your point.

On 23/02/2023 at 15:45, robf said:

100% agree, which is why I'm continually perplexed at how dilatory the club has been RE the Lorne Street. 

I know they've got a million jobs, but the Lorne Street solves a lot of problems for a relatively inexpensive price (though inflation has probably pushed it up). For some reason it seems to have just been handed off to the Supporter's Club to fundraise with absolutely no pushing from the club. They don't even have to fund it - just make a big song and dance out of donating, but they never mention it.

I also question the wisdom in spending so much on the Robbie Williams Suite, which benefits a few dozen each matchday, when for a similar price over a thousand fans (mostly families) could be accommodated in the LS. The decision to go so big on the RW suite has never been articulated or justified - if the ground is in such dire need of repair, to the extent in which we've had to cut capacity and put off a load of jobs, why on earth are we faffing about sprucing up a fancy bar? We haven't got enough toilets to fill the Railway, but you can get prawn sandwiches (metaphorically) on the opposite side of the ground.

With the season effectively over the club really need a unifying purpose to keep fans engaged - framing each game as an opportunity to fund Vale Park's refurbishment is a good one. Incentivise spending, have buckets at every home game etc. More proactivity needed. All far too passive at present with the season drifting.

Archived