onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Pitch/ground

rider1308

Sorry folks to bang on about improving the ground. As we all know Sjoke got a brand new stadium under the guise of it been a “community stadium”  and as far as I’m aware the city council did helped us out more recently. But surely  the club can put together a business plan and go chase some funding to redevelop the paddock and incorporate it for community use as well. It is a massive piece of land that could surely be utilised for proper community use !!!!! 
There is massive potential there, but it takes time and money. Steady in L1 is the current objective. Moving the home end, completing Lorne St, will increase capacity for home support. That covers the possibility of structural work needed on the Railway reducing home capacity. What to do with the Railway will depend on the progress the club makes and also the economic state of the country.

Advert

Obviously my own personal opinion is it would be better to knock the railway down and rebuild.
However has anyone seen the work on the older stand at Portsmouth. Its probably more costly and may never happen and a new stand more likely due to the mass amount of land going to waste. But I like what they have done to maintain their older stand.

On 19/02/2023 at 20:06, Fosse69 said:

Every season since WW2 until 1960 was over 10k average, 20,869 being the highest average.

Oh for those hamil days to come back when i stood on the hill when home and away supporters mixed in days gone by when you bought a programme for 6 pence just to see the alphabet half time scores down the lorne street side the best days ever as a young lad with my father,Watching favourites like Cheadle Askey Sproson and later Poole Miles Liewellyn Portwood and my favorite of all time John Rowland memories that will never fade from me VALE FOREVER.

2 hours ago, Valiant in Brum said:

Obviously my own personal opinion is it would be better to knock the railway down and rebuild.
However has anyone seen the work on the older stand at Portsmouth. Its probably more costly and may never happen and a new stand more likely due to the mass amount of land going to waste. But I like what they have done to maintain their older stand.

Plymouth did similar with their old stand and it looks very good so can be done.

Sort the roof and re-furbish the seating and it could be workable with the railway BUT would ideally remove the catering buildings and expand the food concourse out where the fan zone currently is to improve access at HT/Pre game for the toilets (which need redoing). If you rebuilt the catering buildings 20-30 yards further back it would be less of a hazard.

The issue with rebuilding the railway is probably the hill behind it and the costs of flattening it, plus any issue's underneath like the Lorne St?

I think building a new stand in place of the railway would massively move us forward as a club. With modern technology we could offer better facilities than those down the road and attract more fans. Closer to the pitch, steeper rake (maybe two tier with boxes) spacious covered concourse with plentiful food & beverage options. It would transform the stadium and would certainly make us Championship ready.

Problem is, in today’s market it would probably cost somewhere between £10m - £20m, and where do we get those funds from? A bank loan, significant external investment, public funds…..any ideas? 

7 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I think building a new stand in place of the railway would massively move us forward as a club. With modern technology we could offer better facilities than those down the road and attract more fans. Closer to the pitch, steeper rake (maybe two tier with boxes) spacious covered concourse with plentiful food & beverage options. It would transform the stadium and would certainly make us Championship ready.

Problem is, in today’s market it would probably cost somewhere between £10m - £20m, and where do we get those funds from? A bank loan, significant external investment, public funds…..any ideas? 

Maybe Gullis could get us some of that 'levelling up' money, it would be one way of increasing his chances of getting reelected

35 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Ideally if rebuilding a stand same size and style as Lorne Street but without the boxes so the seats go higher up to the back.

34 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I think it’s got to be bigger than Lorne Street. If we want to get back to 20k capacity, it would have to hold 8k plus. 

I really don't think having a 20k capacity is important, we only took 19k to Wembley in May so we are never going to have that at home.

Just in case there should be a provision to be able to further expand a stand, but I doubt that will ever be needed

20 hours ago, Valiant in Brum said:
23 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:
In the ideal world the pitch should be replaced to the same dimensions as currently, but obviously costs will likely dictate that we reduce the size.
I think folk are jumping the gun regarding stands being replaced, have the club actually stated this ?  Any work is more likely to be reroofing I would say.  Obviously if, further down the line, we built a new stand it should be moved closer to the pitch if possible.

Astand being replaced is a necesity but do finances permit. The railway stand/padock and old family stand need to go. However it need sponsorship and investment.

I may stand alone here, but I hope that the family stand is kept and maintained for its heritage as (if I am correct) the only original part of the ground. Why not use that area creatively? There isn't always a need to rip down and start again.  The view from the paddock is also good IMO - its the facilities that let it down

23 minutes ago, Row L said:

I may stand alone here, but I hope that the family stand is kept and maintained for its heritage as (if I am correct) the only original part of the ground. Why not use that area creatively? There isn't always a need to rip down and start again.  The view from the paddock is also good IMO - its the facilities that let it down

Problem is with the current layout, I don’t think we would ever get the catering /toilet facilities right. Think it would cost more to refurbish than knock it down and start again. I see your nostalgic angle, but I think the structure is just too dated. 

18 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Problem is with the current layout, I don’t think we would ever get the catering /toilet facilities right. Think it would cost more to refurbish than knock it down and start again. I see your nostalgic angle, but I think the structure is just too dated. 

Refurbishing normally always costs more than rebuilding, and as we are Port Vale I imagine cost would be a factor

Crazy to think of new stands when there is still an unfinished 20 year old Lorne Street with no completion plans confirmed. 

Amusingly looking back to only three years ago you can find posters saying Vale park is far too big and we need a smaller ground. These days arguably we need more available seats! 

Archived