onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Championship ready

johnjeffersfanclub

Advert

4 hours ago, Matlock Vale said:
4 hours ago, gavcradd said:
Carol seems to have moved on from "Championship ready" to "League One Steady". I think you'd have a beter chance of defining our current squad as yes/no for that.

The championship ready tag line was about the ground and infrastructure., not the squad.

It was - definitely. And was specifically pointed out that it didn't mean the squad. 

5 hours ago, bobbymanc said:

Is this a windup? The Ipswich game showed that player wise we're nowhere near Championship ready. It told me we're a central midfield away from being in decent top half league 1 team.

I think we've got 3 or 4 league 2 standard players who regularly start, but they're offset by upper league 1/championship potential lads like Harrison and Forrester.

Ipswich wouldn't have a single one of our players in their starting lineup. They had Morsey and another usual starting midfielder out for our game. That says everything. 

No wind-up...you clearly haven't read the original article properly!

We possibly got promoted from league 2 ahead of schedule.

I think we're doing the right things.  Gradually bringing in some players, such as Harrison, who up the quality a notch.

The squad is filled with players who could start any game in league 1 and not weaken the side.

I remember days not long ago when I dreaded a first team player getting injured as it usually signalled a few defeats on the bounce.

That isn't the case now.

But the championship would be a huge step. 

We are 3 seasons or so away from getting close to a serious challenge I think.  And I also think I'm being optimistic with that.

But I'm really happy with what we're doing.

On 29/10/2022 at 21:21, Valiant62 said:

Ipswich are what championship ready looks like. To borrow Carol’s phrase, we’re getting League One steady ahead of schedule by the looks of it.

Ipswich should never really have ended up down in league 1 anyway. Another big club run badly. Isn’t this currently their first third tier period for 50 years or something crazy? 

I think as we evolve every player in the squad will become league 1 ready.
Championship ready not yet but they do not have to be let's enjoy league 1 first .
The development of Robinson is if we can develop all our young academy players like this lad ok originally from.Man City's set up but not happy play in front of whatever crowds there academyplay in front of , come to the Vale and I think is a great player put on the pitch now his development is outstanding everything about him reeks of quality .

Regarding the squad, I think the investment in coaching ups the chances of many of the same players coming with us. Difficult to tell which ones at present but the place is set up to give players a better chance of developing in that direction than most clubs, I should imagine.

30 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

As we currently stand as a club (team form, comparisons to other current League 1 teams, coaching/management staff, commercial, stadium improvements, professionalism around the whole place, the chair's: Kevin and Carol etc.) and if we progress in the same/similiar trajectory as we have over the last year or so being 'Championship ready' OR for that matter being in the 'Championship' doesn't to me seem that far off.

Have quoted from Wycombe match thread. Any further thoughts?

It was at this point just 2 seasons ago that a lot of the players took it upon themselves to ensure that Askey was sacked, thinking that their mate Pugh would be installed as manager. That didn't go as planned, DF and then DC came in, released the lot of them, and laid the foundations to consign player power at the Club to the past, something that very few clubs have the bottle to do. One promotion and a very promising start to life in the league above later, I think only a very small minority would seriously argue that was the best decision Carol could have made. From how good a new signing would be on a night out in Burslem as a measure of success to whether they fit into the squad ethos and professionalism. How lucky are we that DF spun his BS to Carol that day?

Loving life as a Vale fan at the moment

Everything about Port Vale at present reflects the passion/investment/love for the Club from Carol all the way down to us long suffering fans. There hasn't been this aura of excitement and anticipation for absolutely yonks. 

What we must not do however is run away with adrenalin and believe we are world beaters. That is not to say enjoy the present but at least savour every day as it comes along and hope we continue in this rich vein of progression.

We will come across many hurdles and set backs but with the current custodians in management and Ownership we truly have the basis, at long last, of resurrecting this mighty Clubs image and position in the Football League.

"Little Old Port Vale" are no longer in existence. We are arriving and willing to force our way up the pyramid to success. Fans now have to seriously believe that we can emulate other, so called less fashionable clubs and rise to the challenge of increasing our stock in League status. As a fan base we must grasp this moment in time to show our total appreciation in backing the Club to the hilt. Let's fill the grounds with the "Wonder of You" faithful and get people to realise we are back and back to stay.VTID.

we're well ahead of schedule already, as Carol wouldn't have set first year promotion as a target, and now we're holding our own in L1 a few months later. It's the holistic approach which will be championship ready. The team will improve year on year, but it's taking a whole structure up which can survive long term. It might take 5 years of nervy, constant battling in L1 to achieve that in terms of points and personnel, but meanwhile the facilities will be improving.

Archived