Match Thread: Leyton Orient v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

I like Smith, I really do but do people genuinely believe he can play either RCB or LCB? The bloke can’t play football at all. We need Cass and Jones back either side of Hall or Smith. All of our good play came from Cass and Jones in September/October, so I’d be doing what I can to get them back in. 

I’d go 

Stone

Cass Hall Jones 

Gibbo Garrity Walker Pett Hussey

Wilson     Harratt

I thought Jones was suspended? 

16 hours ago, The French Connection said:

For all those who have faith and like a flutter, now will be the time to have a bet on Vale getting promoted. 

5/2 "To be promoted".....

Despite the current run a win on Saturday and that's good value....

There's no reason whatsoever that Vale cannot go there and win sat they are probably going be as rusty as what we were v Swindon ,theres everything to gain and nothing to lose .

I'd like know where Devante Rodney is .

People on Facebook page saying mid Feb for Jamie Proctor .

Big game too many self imposed defeats lately but it  mirrors after new year last years results .

Time to get some confidence back in the side at least on Tues the midfield were not being overrun think Walker seems a damn good player to me the amount of balls him and Garrity and Pett won especially first half where I was out of my seat that many times because we should have scored  at least 3 times was very good .

Just need a bit more for me when we have attacking situations a set piece or a corner there doesn't to me seem enough desire get on the end of anything the centre halfs just wander up but none of them have a effort on target and if they do I rarely see it at the games I go it all seems rather too nice nice and too easy for opposition see out our powderpuff threat 

Over the years we have had John Mccombe he wandered up and got Vital goals Peter Swan Gareth Griffiths etc I want see more desire get the ball in the oppositions net from our corners etc general play was good the other night from the two new lads but I never felt they had the desire or belief get on the end of Worralls work resulting in worralls second half display being very poor compared to his first half . 

So more desire all round please. 

UTV 

Edited by Breadwinner
  • Like 1

The rumours surrounding a Conlon injury and a Gibbons transfer, on top of everything else we've had to put up with this season bad luck wise, are literally a surreal nightmare in the context of where we were just before that Bradford game. I can't believe it.

At least we don't have long to wait to see if the Gibbo rumours are true, the transfer window closes in 11 days. We also know Conlon has an injury, just don't know how serious it is yet. I don't expect he will play on Saturday though. 

• Like 1

A reassuring interview from DC. I do think that we're in a difficult position but he seems to thrive in it. He seems more confident and relaxed than when we were winning every week.

I've lost a bit of hope of the autos in the last few games but if Clarke can go on a near-record breaking run with frauds like 'Theo Robinson', 'Zak Mills', and 'Danny Whitehead', then he can probably do the same again at some point this season. We forget he won back-to-back manager of the months.

Priorities are settling the GK position (was a hokey-cokey before Lucas' red), sorting out the clean sheets, getting 3 more players in, and managing Wilson + Proctor back to 100%. 

As worrying as it is to see Tranmere and Mansfield on the runs they're on, it won't last. We need to have a run ourself. 

It's a massive 10 days for Flitcroft and the Matrix. Right now the squad is lacking technical quality due to Politic's departure, Conlon's injury, and Wilson's lack of fitness. If he gets these 3 signings right then things should steady. I'd still be after a CB, a creative midfielder, and a winger (and I wouldn't at all be against another forward).

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

We've kept 1 clean sheet in 13 and every single player in the back line, including the keeper, has changed bar Smith. I think Cass, Hall, Jones with Gibbons and Hussey as wing-backs is the best option this weekend.

Sounds like from DC's press conference will know more on Conlon tomorrow. Appears he has had it a while but been trying to play through it so all credit due to him for that. Hopefully can see him back out there soon enough.

Just judging by his demeanour in this press conference I have every confidence he is in control of the situation at present.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We've kept 1 clean sheet in 13 and every single player in the back line, including the keeper, has changed bar Smith. I think Cass, Hall, Jones with Gibbons and Hussey as wing-backs is the best option this weekend.

Agree. If we are to play 3 at the back, then the left and right CH’s need to comfortable on the ball and have the ability to overlap. Smith has been pretty much ever-present this season, so I don’t think a little rest will do him any harm.  

Last thought - I think it's time we try Garrity as a forward. His qualities are far more suited there.

In midfield, his positioning isn't great, his first touch isn't good, and his passing is adequate. He has an engine which is useful but hardly game-changing.

Every good he does is in the final third, whether it's his pressing, his runs into the box, his drive, his finishing. Every time he's in the middle of the park he irritates me, but when he's around the opposition box he's dangerous. He showed with his spell up front that he has that knack for finishing, and he's also reasonable in the air.

Full on conversion needed, imo. Put him up top in a three with Wilson and Worrall. No defensive duties. No need to come deep for the ball. Let Worrall and Garrity press and harry the backline whilst Wilson pulls strings. He'll get goals, and I think he is sometimes a tad wasted when sat in a middle three. Put him in the channels.

Stone

Cass Hall Jones

Gibbo Pett Walker Hussey

Worrall Wilson Garrity

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

Just now, Boslem's Brazil said:

Agree. If we are to play 3 at the back, then the left and right CH’s need to comfortable on the ball and have the ability to overlap. Smith has been pretty much ever-present this season, so I don’t think a little rest will do him any harm.  

That was our problem on Tuesday - Hall went off and no one at the back could progress the ball. It worsened when Pett went off and there was literally no one to pass to in the middle. 

Smith and Hall should compete for the central CB role. Wide CB's need to have the ability to bring the ball out and break lines, which Cass and Jones both excel at.

• Like 1

Conlons being playing with an injury I admire his perseverance however surely after 20 v Swindon and they having lots of opportunities the manager would recognise as brave as he was playing and if we would have won the right decision but unfortunately by being on the pitch left us down to ten men then Covalan and his brain fog that was footballing suicide .

I like Walker not a bad replacement at all he won all second balls on Tues and to be honest if he netted twice would have being deserved still cannot understand why he as volleyed it for a corner doing it just didnt make any sense at all .

Lot of strange things happen against Vale wish other teams would give goals away like we do ,some are as bizarre as almost deliberate (I'm sure that's not the case ).

One hopes not anyway 

UTV 

DC presser explains a lot about Conlon. Good on him for trying to push through it.

Good news sounds like Hall will be fit which probably means 352 again.

Despite back to back defeats looking forward to this one. Hopefully we can get back on track.

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

That was our problem on Tuesday - Hall went off and no one at the back could progress the ball. It worsened when Pett went off and there was literally no one to pass to in the middle. 

Thw Hall sub meant that he moved Gibbo to wing back and put Smith in his place. We’d battered them for half an hour down our right hand side. 

• Like 2