• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Breadwinner

3 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

That one is on Clarke for me. Got the tactics wrong in the first half and that’s where the game was lost.

For Askey and 4-3-3 see Clarke and 3-5-2. For all the feted tactical analysis there is little evidence that we play every game on its merits and flex our approach accordingly.

Fair play to Walsall. Turned up for their cup final. Won’t be troubling the top 7 come May though on tonight’s evidence.

On tonight’s evidence neither will we 

• Thanks 1

Advert:

To quote the fantastic Willie John McBride...."How many dead?"

We lost an awful game of football and Clarkey will be hurting more than us you can be sure of that. Move on.

Everything we touched/tried turned to <ovf censored> I'm afraid.

Roll on Satdee.....I'm having another glass of red....did I say glass? I meant bottle......no sleep tonight! Ta Vale.....

• Like 2

Outmuscled, out-thought, out played. If we're ever going to get out of this league, we need to be able to compete with big ugly sides like Walsall but we're just not up to it. We lack physicality at the back, in the middle and when Proctor is out, up front.

On top of that we should never have set up with a formation that played straight into their hands and we stuck with it for too long. DC and Co got it terribly wrong tonight and they need to rethink it, starting imho with a change to four at the back and some physicality down the spine of the team.

Walsall knew exactly how we were going to play and nullified us completely. They're not alone - teams have worked us out and the same thing will happen again on Saturday unless we show some variation in formation, tactics and the way we play. Things need to change or there'll be more of this to come.

• Like 4

Advert:

Nothing short of abysmal that was. Darrells first proper test as our manager as that was a unacceptable perfomance. Dont think we strung two passes together all game. Got completely outfought for 90 mins and they looked a really average outfit. Extremely disappointing few results. Shows how important wilson and proctor are for us

• Like 2

Really surprised at the way Walsall set up. Taylor was quite a stylish footballer as a player but his team is just ugly, anti football.

Yet to talk about our performance we were absolutely dreadful. Shockingly bad. Made a very poor Walsall side look a million miles better than us, which clearly they're not looking at the league.

We're in a mini slump now and need to snap out of this soon!

24 minutes ago, dazzerjames said:

It’s a poor performance, against a horrible team and an awful ref , but to say our captain has bottled it is a disgrace . Some people thrive off a bad performance . We have injuries to key players and we can’t win and play well every week. His comments are only ever negative

Lol. What about the Tom Conlon thread I made recently? Or the Leon Legge one last season? Did nothing but praise them.

Give your head a wobble.

Edited by Beech

Advert:

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

Horrible game of football that. They are a disgusting side and that referee was worse than Trevor kettle. 

Wrong formation again. 

Keeper, Gibbo and the subs did ok, everyone else was atrocious 

To many off days. But it was blatantly obvious to me that gibbo was trying to put the  effort in to make things happen down that right hand side in the second half. Things may not have worked all the time but he can come off the pitch with his head up IMO. Others can’t say the same, when we needed to up the tempo others just seemed on the back foot and reacting too slowly. No doubt the sending off totally killed us. But when you look at the game as a whole, it was poor and Walsall had the only effort on target after Jones mistake, other than that it was a scrappy stop start mess with neither team getting going. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Wouldn’t be so sure about Proctor, didn’t look to be moving that great.

Horrible, horrible performance. They and Oldham have shown what this league is all about and we have been found wanting.

There’s no way he’d be back if others were doing the business. 

Horrible game. Ref was one of worst I’ve seen. They were <ovf censored>, but so were we. 

Time for a re-jig. Jones needs a spell out of the side. That pass for their goal was suicidal.

Feels like ‘typical Vale’. Don’t know why I expect anything different. HOWEVER, there is a long way to go, so I’m keeping the faith. 

Walsall had virtually no threat at all, they were <ovf censored>, we were just another level of <ovf censored> tonight. Really bad. Really bad and no shots on target...Saying that the ball was never in play for longer than 40 seconds. A lot of twisted eye lashes from the Walsall players. Went down easier than, well i wont carry on

Advert:

1 minute ago, Santa said:

You could tell nobody was on it from minute one.

Which i find staggering considering the result at the weekend, playing walsall darrells old team, infront of a big crowd. 

I am more than aware that we will lose games throughout the season and that is fine. Perfomances like that are not. Genuinely shocked at how bad we were. Deserved to be booed off

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, saintvaliant said:

That one is on Clarke for me. Got the tactics wrong in the first half and that’s where the game was lost.

For Askey and 4-3-3 see Clarke and 3-5-2. For all the feted tactical analysis there is little evidence that we play every game on its merits and flex our approach accordingly.

Fair play to Walsall. Turned up for their cup final. Won’t be troubling the top 7 come May though on tonight’s evidence.

Nor will we on tonight's evidence - DC has a lot of work to do.