Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

7 hours ago, Chopper Harris said:

We are still in the hunt for the play offs if not automatic promotion. If we finish mid table at the end of the season and consolidate our position then that won’t be a bad season.  We can’t expect and demand success every season.......if that is what you want then as I said earlier go and support someone else. 

Yes it is a bad season. Our Chairlady said exactly that. "We aren't doing 8th again". FFS

Finishing mid-table is a poor season. Consolidating what position? It would be a backwards step.

We can't expect success every season but a crumb of success for the first time since 2013 would be nice.

Again, folks. Stop talking down Port Vale. Stop treating success as if we don't deserve it. Playoffs is the minimum this year.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Booooooooooooooo Abysmal 10 days to be a Vale supporter 

Our fan base is an embarrassment at the moment. We are outside the playoffs on goal difference and you want the manager sacked. Christ.

Chopping and changing managers regularly rarely ends well. Managers need time to get it right. Slow but sure progress is all I ask for, and I do think that's what we're getting. Unless a manager has c

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We're already back into "mid-table will do, be grateful we have a club" talk as the tinpot outfit down the A500 fly through League 1. Sick of being rubbish. Start demanding more.

who has said mid table will do?

Advert:

2 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Just to clarify you are saying those sticking with Askey lack ambition,is that correct?

Nope. You've invented that mate. Incredible.

I don't want to sack Askey.

See my above post replying to someone who described 'midtable consolidation' as a successful season. That's lacking ambition. We should be expecting to finish top 7 considering our budget and expectations of our Chairlady. Anything less and questions need to be asked.

Edited by Joe B

36 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

I’d like to see us play 4-2-3-1. Gives us the protection at the back but allows a player to push up and support the striker.

Brown

clarke 

Smith

Legge

Monty

Joyce 

Manny

worrell 

Mckirdy 

Amoo 

Pope

Happy with that formation

30 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Yes it is a bad season. Our Chairlady said exactly that. "We aren't doing 8th again". FFS

Finishing mid-table is a poor season. Consolidating what position? It would be a backwards step.

We can't expect success every season but a crumb of success for the first time since 2013 would be nice.

Again, folks. Stop talking down Port Vale. Stop treating success as if we don't deserve it. Playoffs is the minimum this year.

I m not talking Port Vale down and neither am I saying we don’t deserve success. Please don’t think that I am being negative. I just want to be realistic and put our current position in perspective.

From the shambles of being run by Smurthwaite and us going from one bad manager to another I just want some stability for once. So yes a mid table finish and some consolidation from constantly sliding down the football league for me is not a poor season based on what had happened since Page left. In the last decade we have been in more relegation scraps than promotion hunting campaigns. We have been in complete free fall and nearly ended up in the Conference twice surviving by the skin of our teeth. The team that Askey has put together is a world away from what we had under Brown, Ribiero and all. We just need to give them time. 

If social media was around when Rudgey was at the club he wouldn’t have lasted as long as he did. 

A crumb of success would be nice but there are 24 clubs all trying to achieve the same thing as we are. You say the playoffs is an absolute minimum.......how many times have we been in the playoffs since 1993? 

We can’t just expect success and the playoffs because we are Port Vale. I want us to be thrashing everyone week in and week out but realistically that isn’t  going to happen. I just want to be realistic. We haven’t started the season fantastically or dreadfully. We have had some good games and some bad ones. Some posters are carrying on as though we are in the boat as Southend. 

Edited by Chopper Harris
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

See Chopper Harris' post. He says exactly that. You're looking daft here.

That’s one person Joe, where are all these others whose “lack of ambition” has frightened you?

When I read through the posts last night many were questioning, some very strongly, the recent performances, manager, players, tactics, etc.  Not many, (any?) were satisfied with things.  I think some of the comments you allude to are probably in response to the calls from a vocal few for the managers head.

Whilst there will always be those fans who’re satisfied to see us just plod on, my belief is that the vast majority of the fan base expect to see us finish higher this season than last and certainly do not lack ambition for the club.

Advert:

4 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

The team that Askey has put together is a world away from what we had under Brown, Ribiero and all. We just need to give them time. 

This is simply not true. Ribiero may have been poor, but we were a league 1 club and the standard of football was much better. For example, we defeated Millwall 3-1 at home and were as high as 4th. 

Brown although didn’t do much, still saw us only get relegated by 1 point. 

The only improvement that can be seen are our two Brown/Aspin league 2  seasons which were the worst in our entire 140 odd year history. 

If this team was in league 1, I doubt we’d yet to have got a point. Askey has steadied the ship but he has not got it heading for treasure island just yet. 

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

See Chopper Harris' post. He says exactly that. You're looking daft here.

You are dead right I said it. How many seasons did Klopp get at Liverpool to get it right and turn the team  into a league winning team. It can take a while to build a decent promotion winning or league winning team. Chopping and changing the manager hasn’t exactly worked out for us recently and all I am saying is that we need some stability and to give the manager time. If that means a mid table finish this season then so be it. I am not being negative just realistic. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

With any kind of decent owner/manager we would not have been relegated. And that is why we are where we are now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

You say the playoffs is an absolute minimum.......how many times have we been in the playoffs since 1993? 

From 1994-2000 we were a second tier club (promoted in 94). I don’t think anyone would expect Championship playoffs. 

Then from 2000 to 2008 were were a league 1 club with 1 season close to playoffs. 

Then we had the grim old poor management era but two Aspin seasons aside we were always very competitive in the 4th tier. 

Playoffs are essential and are an expectation. I thought our motto was “want, need, expect”.... not put up with rubbish because the manager did well when we had a dreadful chairman 2 years ago. 

8 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

This is simply not true. Ribiero may have been poor, but we were a league 1 club and the standard of football was much better. For example, we defeated Millwall 3-1 at home and were as high as 4th. 

The only improvement that can be seen are our two Brown/Aspin league 2  seasons which were the worst in our entire 140 odd year history. 

If this team was in league 1, I doubt we’d yet to have got a point. Askey has steadied the ship but he has not got it heading for treasure island just yet. 

We started well but under Ribiero we plummeted down the league and never recovered. 

Advert:

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

With any kind of decent owner/manager we would not have been relegated. And that is why we are where we are now.

Indeed and we do have a decent owner now. So much so, we shouldn’t be watching disjointed, poor football. 

We also shouldn’t be remaining where we are if things have improved. Which we will watching the current standard of our play. 

7 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I agree. He was poor, but he was league 1 poor and that’s better than being league 2 poor in my book. 

Yeh I agree but  I would argue the team Ribiero inherited (which he got rid of) and his starting point was better than the team Askey inherited.  

Edited by Chopper Harris