Match Thread: Port Vale v Scunthorpe United

The early performances and goals that we were scoring under Bruno were some of the best for many a year,  but a combination of fair weather players, getting sussed out and Brunos tactical inability to react and change meant that the exciting start quickly fizzled out to disaster.

Advert:

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Booooooooooooooo Abysmal 10 days to be a Vale supporter 

Our fan base is an embarrassment at the moment. We are outside the playoffs on goal difference and you want the manager sacked. Christ.

Chopping and changing managers regularly rarely ends well. Managers need time to get it right. Slow but sure progress is all I ask for, and I do think that's what we're getting. Unless a manager has c

Posted Images

10 hours ago, TylerB said:

This could have been a copy and paste quote from what a couple of numpties were spouting here about Neil Aspin for months.

Keep the faith. We need to be together. Doing our bit as fans... Jesus Christ. Are you hoping for a Nobel Peace prize or something? You'll no doubt be spouting the game nonsense in 10 games time if absolutely nothing has changed.

Possibly, the thing that is a cut and paste special,  is your usual teenage dramatic rubbish.  You've managed to produce 6k posts of it.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chopper Harris said:

Yeh I agree but  I would argue the team Ribiero inherited (which he got rid of) and his starting point was better than the team Askey inherited.  

That’s a very interesting debate on its own. I always believed from the press at the time Bruno was part of a plan bought by Smurfwaite that was to deliberately dismantle our solid league 1 size under Page. 

Bruno didn’t inherit that team, he was given a brief to bring in his own seemingly chosen from an agents catalogue. The big debate is who was responsible for bringing in that odd collection of players. Most believe it was Smurfwaite getting conned by agents, with Bruno part of that package with the “Mourinho phone call” buying into this con. 

From what we know now it seems it was a scheme Smurfwaite was largely responsible for. Bruno was really just a patsy who would have taken the Vale job under any circumstances as he wanted a chance in the English leagues. 

When Bruno came in, the good players had mostly gone and left. They were disgusted at the dreadful deals Smurfwaite had offered at the end of the year, he had no choice but to start from scratch. 

Today, in November 2020, Askey has had the benefit of stable ownership that offered fair contract offers and a United fan base. He has been in post 2 years in February. 

He earned the job and the sack today would be very premature. However I believe from what I have seen, things need to change. 

I have massive faith in the squad and players. I think we have some great guys who would easily do well in a league 1 team. I actually think the depth in quality is better than our promotion team. 

My faith in the squad does not extend to Askey. It is being underutilized and is underperforming. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old fort said:

getting sussed out and Brunos tactical inability to react and change meant that the exciting start quickly fizzled out to disaster.

So exactly the same as John Askey basically.

3 hours ago, Pheonix Vale said:

Last 3 matches
Some of the Match Stats
------------------------------
                           Vale 0   Scunthorpe 1
Possession             69%         31%     
Shots                       14               2
Shots on Target        2               1
------------------------------------------------------
                            Vale 3    Tranmere 4
Possession             32%          68%
Shots                          8             15
Shots on Target        4               6
        FA Cup       Vale 0     Kings Lynn Town 1  
Possession              -              -   not available
Shots                       17             3
Shots on Target      11              1
        Something Needs Sorting ?

The worrying thing is that even though we scored on Saturday from 3 set pieces that we didn’t really create much else aside from that. The same goes for last night in that we created nothing clear cut. 

Advert:

6 hours ago, TylerB said:

So for you it's fine that we're putting in some turgid performances at Vale Park, and losing to the likes of Kings Lynn and Scunthorpe at home?

Thank God I'm not in the same reality as yourself.

Never said that.

Those two defeats will happen from time to time. 

The season is played over the course of 8/9 months, not two weeks.

3 minutes ago, Portvale4 said:

Never said that.

Those two defeats will happen from time to time. 

The season is played over the course of 8/9 months, not two weeks.

Agreed. But I don't see anything changing too much. I don't believe Askey is capable of adapting or changes his ways. If we win a few games over the coming weeks I'll happily and even gladly hold my hands up and say my inkling was absolutely wrong and that I was talking <ovf censored>, as I've done before.

But I only see us making the same mistakes and putting in some inept performances as the season goes along under him. Some of the performances this season have been as bad as anything absolute dross like Aspin and Gannon served up. I don't think even in most of our wins this season we've played particularly well. We're just a very basic, boring side. A one trick pony.

Edited by TylerB

11 hours ago, 1 said:

Exactly, and when you sign four strikers, quite an exciting group as well for L2, you expect the manager to be playing more than 1 at a time! That's the big sticking point I have when I think of Askey's tenure. We don't need to be so reserved, play some attacking football! But again, wouldn't get rid, he just needs to see sense! 

It doesn't matter if he plays 1 or all 4 when the players are putting in performances that are more often 6/10 rather than 8/10.  We know what the players from last season are capable of, but we seem to have 3 or 4 players below par in most games.

7 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Agreed. But I don't see anything changing too much. I don't believe Askey is capable of adapting or changes his ways. If we win a few games over the coming weeks I'll happily and even gladly hold my hands up and say my inkling was absolutely wrong and that I was talking <ovf censored>, as I've done before.

But I only see us making the same mistakes and putting in some inept performances as the season goes along under him. Some of the performances this season have been as bad as anything absolute dross like Aspin and Gannon served up. I don't think even in most of our wins this season we've played particularly well. We're just a very basic, boring side. A one trick pony.

To be honest Tyler I thought we'd played really well up until their goal, some lovely passing moves, am i mistaken?  Admittedly there was an air of inevitability about the performance after the goal, where we reverted to the team who just wants to pass it across the park from left to right.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

I thought we'd played really well up until their goal, some lovely passing moves, am i mistaken?  

I thought we piddled it around aimlessly playing at walking pace myself.

• Like 2

Advert:

21 minutes ago, TylerB said:

But I only see us making the same mistakes and putting in some inept performances as the season goes along under him. Some of the performances this season have been as bad as anything absolute dross like Aspin and Gannon served up.

That’s fair enough then.

Don’t get me wrong, the past two weeks have been unacceptable. Just remember, bad spells happen and currently we are going through one. We are getting no luck. Nothing is falling for us.

I still have faith in Askey. Yes, I question him sometimes, his tactics are baffling from time to time. However, if he was perfect, he simply wouldn’t be here. We would be very, very silly to sack him now. 

I saw a post about people being okay with ‘mediocrity’. I’m not okay with ‘mediocrity’, but I’m looking at the bigger picture. We’ve had too many years of instability. Now we are stable, we have got fans who aren’t happy. The expectation of pre-season has caused a huge divide in our fan base, which is a shame. Keep a steady ship, keep building and maybe in a year or two, we might be in the place we all want to be. 

Just remember, we are in the middle of global pandemic. Football has never faced a challenge like this, nor have Vale. I’d say we are doing pretty well currently. 

Get behind the boys and the management, instead of knocking them because that certainly won’t help anything. 

Edited by Portvale4

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

That’s fair enough then.

Don’t get me wrong, the past two weeks have been unacceptable. Just remember, bad spells happen and currently we are going through one. We are getting no luck. Nothing is falling for us.

I still have faith in Askey. Yes, I question him sometimes, his tactics are baffling from time to time. However, if he was perfect, he simply wouldn’t be here. We would be very, very silly to sack him now. 

I saw a post about people being okay with ‘mediocrity’. I’m not okay with ‘mediocrity’, but I’m looking at the bigger picture. We’ve had too many years of instability. Now we are stable, we have got fans who aren’t happy. The expectation of pre-season has caused a huge divide in our fan base, which is a shame. Keep a steady ship, keep building and maybe in a year or two, we might be in the place we all want to be. 

Just remember, we are in the middle of global pandemic. Football has never faced a challenge like this, nor have Vale. I’d say we are doing pretty well currently. 

Get behind the boys and the management, instead of knocking them because that certainly won’t help anything. 

This is just a forum at the end of the day. I praise players massively when I feel I deserve it, and criticise when I also feel they deserve it, the manager included. Even if any of the players browse OVF I don't think they'll be losing sleep about opinions.

I can take losing games and inconsistency, goes hand in hand as a League Two club. What I can't take is this tippy tappy football that gets us absolutely nowhere against sides that sit in, and also the lack of belief the moment we go a goal down in games. The players of course take some responsibility, but obviously Askey does too. To not include Montano and McKirdy in the line up against a Scunthorpe team that were very much there for the taking and were always going to sit back was just mind boggling. I believe Askey's first thoughts are not to lose games much more than it is to win them, even at home against dire opposition.

6 hours ago, For Us All said:

Fact is we are 2 points better off after 12 games than we were last season.UTV

There's always a positive.

KTF

And those 2 points would put us in last years play offs.... 

• Like 1

Advert:

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

Nope. You've invented that mate. Incredible.

I don't want to sack Askey.

See my above post replying to someone who described 'midtable consolidation' as a successful season. That's lacking ambition. We should be expecting to finish top 7 considering our budget and expectations of our Chairlady. Anything less and questions need to be asked.

Then thats fair enough me owd foof bucket,i do actually agree that we should expect top 7 especially after last season,although we did over achieve then imo.

Sadly though seasons dont always pan out how we would like but then i agree again questions would have to be asked,i do still think we will finish in the top 7 though(i think we are a couple of points better off now than the same stage last season)

9 hours ago, For Us All said:

Fact is we are 2 points better off after 12 games than we were last season.UTV

There's always a positive.

KTF

Loving the positivity.

But i do hate these stats thrown around. No two seasons are the same. Teams we may of taken points of last time will beat us this time.

Last season for example we had some tremendous away wins at Bradford, FGR and Northampton are 3 that spring to mind. Would i see those sort of results this season? Not a chance ( and yes before some nerd says it, i know Northampton are League one now ) .

All of the building blocks were in place, steady ship. For me anything less than 7th is failure. 3points off 3rd place, 3 points off 13th also. 

We have got to get back on tracks quickly and win 3 of the next 4 games.

Saturday will be a big gauge of where we are at .

• Like 3