Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

Thanks for the comments immediately above, gents.

Interesting thoughts.

I've thought for some time now that we must be very close to full, an extra striker and a reserve keeper apart.

The loan market might be the way to go but I suppose we could drop on one (unlikely though I think that is) if this financial climate continues to bite.

It is, however, hard to see us signing anyone who will be much better than Pope or Cullen. And Rodney clearly demands an opportunity as well. Often playing only a single central striker, I just can't see us bringing in someone who would immediately become first pick and push those other three lads down the pecking order. A Harvey type makes more sense.

A keeper I think we'll sign, maybe soon enough, but a striker? I'm not so sure, though we do appear to have space in the budget which was good to hear.

39 minutes ago, JRC said:

A little gold dust somewhere in the team could just be the missing ingredient. Who knows! 

100% agree. Just the odd player with a bit of class can make a huge difference at this level. Just one. Could be the last part of the jigsaw that we need.

I'm excited to see how we shape up. On paper the 3 new boys could all play their part in the first XI and Oyeleke will be like a new signing. Bring it on!

• Like 1

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

I honestly despair with some Vale fans... Is it bred into our DNA that we have to seek out negativity???? As I'm typing this, we've have just launched the nicest football strip I can remember, desig

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Doha said:

I wonder if he was coyly referring to ongoing negotiations with a player.

I'd heard talks were at a positive stage regarding the 'exciting' striker that had been mentioned on here. Maybe we're just after chipping a few more percentage points off the weekly wage given the CV19 economic circumstances and the situation at his current club. 

No real idea as I'm back in quarantine in the Middle East again so don't get the same information from close to the club. He does talk about players he doesn't expect. My reading was he was talking about players out of contract who thought they were getting offers elsewhere that never came through, similar to Mark Marshall a few years ago. Askey had a habit of pulling a rabbit from the hat late in the window at Macclesfield. I'm sure he has spoken to a lot of players. Striker wise they are all pretty much under contract. Omar Bogle, Brett Pitman and Oli Hawkins will probably all end up in league one and are what you would call established strikers out of contract. There are heaps of decent 10s still after contracts and Askey always found a way the play Danny Whitt  so maybe he's looking at that kind of player. Macc fans think Whitehead was a natural replacement for Whittaker so he possibly doesn't want a 10. Maybe Bradford will end up paying off one of their strikers, who knows.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Doha said:

I wonder if he was coyly referring to ongoing negotiations with a player.

I'd heard talks were at a positive stage regarding the 'exciting' striker that had been mentioned on here. Maybe we're just after chipping a few more percentage points off the weekly wage given the CV19 economic circumstances and the situation at his current club. 

Doha me owd fruit are you insinuating that the striker is under contract with another club?

I believe a number of national league teams could be struggling to make ends meets before much longer and like Dover have already would not stand in some players way, even if they are under contract and they could get a contract in say league one or two. They may also have to listen to slightly lesser offers for their better players as well as a result. 

Not saying we'd necessarily pay a fee for a striker but if a team would normally demand 100-150k they might be forced to accept 50-75k?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
17 hours ago, werstayinup said:
Doha me owd fruit are you insinuating that the striker is under contract with another club?

Could be possible. If another club has had to cut back. Leaving soace for us to come in. In a way would be a turn around for Poet Vale Football Club.

Could be Vaughan but he is apparently off to Birkenhead

7 minutes ago, upthevale said:

Would anyone on here think Ricky Miller would be worth another go? Seems to have made great strides getting over his issues recently. 

I genuinely wish you all the best Ricky, really I do.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1