onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

Advert

1 hour ago, blackdog said:

Was one, if not the best pod so far for me, Andy was spot on with his "Rant"  The points he put forward were fair and reasonable, the only problem I have is walking for 90 odd minutes to get it all in !

Still that long?

Need to be much shorter.

18 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Still that long?

Need to be much shorter.

Tend to agree but I don't think these guys have a set time and just get so involved with their comments they take over an hour until they are done.

As for the "rant" I think as above Andy was stumbling to convey his thoughts but his message came over quite clear in the end and I fully agree with what he had to say. It does say how long the podcast is before you listen to it but I was surprised when it it finished. Thoroughly enjoyed that one guys. 👌

• Like 4

Really enjoyed that one. Doesn’t matter how long these run for as long as it’s interesting content.

The preseason rant was bang on the money about what we did and also the fitness of some players. We’ve signed players who weren’t ready to start the season, which is outrageous and that’s not good enough on our part. We've been far from perfect this pre-season, you’ve got fans trotting out the cheesy “trust the process” line to anyone that dares raise questions (very cult-like as Andy said). We’ve had staff going on about being championship ready and we weren’t even league one ready. Let’s hope players get up to speed quickly and I agree that this window is massive, but I think we’re desperate right now for goal scoring options. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 1

I really enjoyed the podcast again (as always). I think the reason Andy couldn't quite join up the thought process is that it is simply difficult to recruit the right footballers rather than end up with mediocrities in Vale's position. I don't want us to have to push this hard to attract good signings, but I would also not be happy with giving up on the matrix and just signing an easier but lesser target. It's disappointing to have to admit to making a choice between unpalatable options, but isn't that what it comes down to? I can understand the argument that we should have gone for the best target we could secure early, even though I personally prefer the way we've decided to play it.

We're all frustrated that the squad hasn't been completed earlier (and still hasn't been), especially when the team seems to be competing everywhere except in the final third against teams fancied for promotion. But it really does come down to how low down our list of targets we are willing to go while there is still the chance to get players higher up that list. And if we're not willing to take it right to the deadline, it seems to make sense that we would be forced to settle for players we think are less good than those that may still be available, had we waited until the countdown puts pressure on players to sign.

Of course, there are risks involved with doing this - we'll find out by tomorrow if it has been worth taking the chance this time. In general, I'm fairly pleased with how the new recruits are shaping up, and looking forward to seeing more consistent team selections (after which I might yet change my mind about that first bit).

It was really good to hear all this discussed as it was on the podcast - while I come to different conclusions, I felt the guys did a good job of expressing frustrations with this early-season while acknowledging the difficulties our management team are trying to overcome to make us more competitive.  

• Like 1

Think extremely over the top with politic analysis. Think your forgetting he was coming back from long term injury when he was first with us so that was probably a factor in some of his performances. The lad has got great talent and can change a game. Yes he didnt perform that well but he was playing upfront . Not sure why you wouldnt be happy with a guy who can come on and be a game changer .

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just thinking about the debate about left backs commonly being the boo boys at vale.

Is it because at home games they play in front of completed lorne street stand and busy part of paddock/ railway stand when kicking the other way.

In comparison right backs get empty lorne street (kicking towards bycars) or less busy part of paddock/railway when kicking towards hamil.

Anyway point i'm making is that it's much more visible if any mistakes are made at LWB when playing at home.

Not excusing it but it was a good point made on the pod and got me thinking.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...