onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ale and the Vale Podcast

stupers

41 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

The criticism from Johnny on Smith is very harsh. Smith hardly puts a foot wrong every game, keeps it simple, gets the basics right. 

Love the pod, but jonny convinced me a good while ago now that he probably doesn't play much actual football and had has swallowed the football manager disc.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Advert

On 16/10/2022 at 10:13, PV1973 said:

Jonnys obsession with Conlons left foot is becoming embarrassing now.

Have a word @DannyBezza

He is  right in what he says for a pro footballer not to be capable to kick a ball with both feet is unbelievable just practice kicking with your weaker foot if you only use it for standing on you will never improve it not my words but Dennis Wilshaws when he was in charge of Stoke on trent boys team and he was a English international.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamilboy said:

He is  right in what he says for a pro footballer not to be capable to kick a ball with both feet is unbelievable just practice kicking with your weaker foot if you only use it for standing on you will never improve it not my words but Dennis Wilshaws when he was in charge of Stoke on trent boys team and he was a English international.

But to keep on about it every week is overkill. When he was playing well last season I don’t think he got as much stick for it. 

3 hours ago, PV1973 said:

But to keep on about it every week is overkill. When he was playing well last season I don’t think he got as much stick for it. 

He is not playing well looked well off the pace saturday compared where he was before the injury.It might be because he is in a higher league against better players if so a big improvement is needed to keep his place in the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hamilboy said:

He is not playing well looked well off the pace saturday compared where he was before the injury.It might be because he is in a higher league against better players if so a big improvement is needed to keep his place in the team.

And he’s playing in a different position, he’s played much better for us playing further forward and linking play. The same happened when he first came in, we didn’t get the best out of him playing in a deeper role.  Same goes for Garrity too. 

Edited by PV1973

• 4 weeks later...

Gents

Listened to the pod this morning while in the gym – another great listen.  Thought I’d give you my own take on players from the weekend but its turned into a review of the whole team

Stone: Not the greatest performance on Saturday but certainly not at fault for 3 of the 4 goals. Nice fella (but is that a problem) loads of future potential but needs to go out on loan.

Stevens: Good keeper but not spectacular; is he the answer to our keeper problems – no.  Think he’s going back in January so it focuses the mind.

Covolan: Take away his psycho streak and, as a goalkeeper, I think he’s better than Stone and Stevens.  I’d have him back in a heartbeat (like Steve suggested) and make it plane that its his last chance

Even then we need a new, Championship experienced, keeper.  Like the idea of the guy from Ipswich

Cass: Not made the impression that we all hoped for, not sure that he will.  The jury is out

Jones: One of our best players this season, didn’t have a fantastic game on Saturday (who did) but I think he does a good job and is growing in to a good EFL1 player.  Needs more time

Benning: I hate myself for saying this but Mel is not an EFL1 standard player.  He was great in EFL2 last season, but he’s been exposed too many times as not up to standard (Posh instantly springs to mind).  I’d be replacing Mel in January if we can

Forrester: Another who didn’t have a great game on Saturday, though he put his hands up and said so straight away.  I think he holds himself to higher standards. Great signing, going to get better and better in my view  

Smith: Smudgers worst game on Saturday.  Love Smudger and I think he’s gradually improving as we grow into the league; great defender but limited as a general footballer.

Hall: Mr Rolls Royce hasn’t had a brilliant season so far; when he plays well he just oozes quality.  I’d keep him and give him as much time as possible.

Massey: Simply not convinced about Massey; don’t believe he should be wearing a Vale shirt and should go in January.  I think we carry him too much and we can’t afford to do that; he can be good going forward but all too often he fails/disappoints and he’s lousy at tracking back (the game against Posh and their third goal springs to mind when he gave up on tracking back). You are also 100% right in that he’s not a real striker as how on earth do you let the ball bounce three times in the six yard box! 

Agyakwa: Not seen anywhere near enough of him to comment.

McCarron: Think he needs more time.  He’s another who is supposed to be a top player.  We need to see this soon.  I’d keep him until the end of the season and give him more of a chance

Robinson: he was great going forward on Saturday but then seemed to run out of ideas when he got to the box – mainly because he didn’t have anyone to pass to.  Brilliant future ahead of him, fast becoming a fans favourite and hope he’s with the Vale for the next 10 years,

Walker: Still injured.  Love Brad, great player, seems to get a lot of injuries.  He’s defo someone to keep at least for now.  If his injuries keep rearing up then perhaps we might need to think again in 2023/24

McDermmot: Another fantastic future star player; would love him to be the next Phil Sproson.  People are saying send him out on loan – NO CHANCE!  He’s good enough to get in the team and should at least be on the bench for every game and played as a starter in every Pizza Cup game.

Ojo: we miss him in midfield; good player but feel like he could do more and could improve more under DC/AC

Garrity: Love Big Ben, as regularly commented on – he’s being played out of position and, so far, had a quiet season.  Ineffectual on Saturday when he came on; would love to see him played in his main role and with someone like Proctor and, the two of them together, can really rat at other players.

Conlon: Thought Conlon had a better game than you guys scored him on Saturday; showed more desire for the ball then most on the pitch (thought that wasn’t difficult) however, quality of touch let him down.

Charsley: Love Harry C and can’t understand why he doesn’t get more of a chance to play; always gives his all – 100% type of guy and a good footballer too.

Pett: Another who wasn’t brilliant on Saturday but, agreed that - when he went off, we completely fell to bits.  Think Carpet Man has been one of our best players this season and is growing more into the role.

Worral: Love Wozzer when he’s on his game; has the occasional stinker.  Jonny was right that he was the best player on the pitch when he came-on on Saturday; couldn’t understand why he didn’t start the game.

Politic: Jury still out.  Scored some good goals but missed some howlers; can be very effectual or plane dross.  I’d keep him till the end of the season and see how things progress.

Holden: haven’t seen enough of him, no idea if he’s fit, don’t know how good he is or is he someone else we’re carrying.

Wilson: One word – CLASS!  Love Willo and think he’s brilliant when he’s fit

Harrison: Love Ellis but 100% agree with you that he’s not the brilliant player he’s made out to be; he needs to improve and score more of the opportunities put in front of him.  Must be a 20-goal a year player for the time and opportunity given; also needs to improve his football thinking as the ban he’s got is just stupid and puts his teams mates in a hole.

Mipo: for me he’s almost as much of a disappointment as Massey; I really don’t see what West Ham see in him.  I’d simply send him back in January and spend the money on someone else

Proctor: Utterly love Jamie – wonderful footballing mind and a truly horrible player to play against.  If he can get fit then I’d have him in the team BUT he has to play as a proper striker and NOT out of position.  With him you could rotate Proc/Willow/Harrison and with perming and of Garrity/Conlon/Politic/Butterworth playing off them.  I’d give him until the end of the season to get fit; if he doesn’t I’d imagine Jamie will retire any way (what a loss to football!)

Butterworth: Not his best game on Saturday but by far better than most; think he’s a smashing player and fits perfectly into the way Vale play football.  He’s got a really good touch about him that, if he gets a bit better, could rival Willow in quality.  I’d be speaking with Blackburn to get a price to buy him permanently in Jan.

Conclusion from Saturday: Yes, we had a bad day at the office – very similar to the Exeter game; the only difference is that we actually had some of the ball at the weekend and Oxford weren’t ‘that good’ (where as Exeter played us off the pitch)  Likewise, when we played Posh, they were cleared a different class on the day.  None of the team covered themselves in any glory, which has happened a couple of times this season and we’ve got away with it.  I like that Clark is rotating the team but, at times, he has too many players playing out of position or the team don’t seem to know or understand what they are supposed to be doing.

Are we in crisis – No!  I don’t care how we do it we just need to stay up this season and consolidate next year and I think we’ll do that comfortably.  I think we’ll be mid-table.

So, retained list for January

Covolan

Cass

Jones

Forrester

Smith

Hall

McCarron (L)

Robinson

Walker

McDermott

Ojo

Garrity

Conlon

Charsely

Pett

Worral

Politic (L)

Wilson

Harrison

Proctor

Butterworth (L)

Possibly:

Agyakwa

Holden

Get Rid

Stones: go out on loan

Stevens: send back to Oxford

Benning: sell in Jan

Massey; sell in Jan

Mipo: send back in Jan

January:  In Jan I’d

• Get Covolan back, send Stone out on loan but also spend money on buying a good quality keeper.  This should be one of Flickers top priorities right now; he cannot wait until the window opens and it should be one of our very first announcements
  • I’d look to buy a good left back
  • We need another striker; would prefer to buy then loan another player; for me I’d be banging loudly on Huddersfield’s door for Harrat – he knows the Vale already and could fit in to the team fairly quickly.
  • If Carol can afford it I’d be asking Blackburn how much they want for Butterworth.

• Like 2

Genuinely baffled how you can blame smith for 3 out of the 4 goals. Just had to go watch them back to make sure and genuinely cant see how you can blame him for any of them. The only one i can see a half argument is the fourth as its smithys man that put it in but that came from garrity messing up clearing the ball and the ball pinged straight to smithys man so wouldn't say there is much he could of done about that. The other 3 honestly baffled me. I dont think smith had a great game but to put the blame on him for 3 of the goals is delusional. First harrison soft as <ovf censored> and they break through a non existent midfield smith has a split decision to stay with man or go out he starts go out the guy shoots from 30 yards stone should of done better. Second forrester week as <ovf censored> so smith has come out because of that error they cross and someone in box scorers how can that be deemed smiths fault. The third smith nowhere near guy chesting it down in the box but is the one that closest to blocking it as the other defenders just let him have all the time in the world to bring it down and have a shot. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

Genuinely baffled how you can blame smith for 3 out of the 4 goals. Just had to go watch them back to make sure and genuinely cant see how you can blame him for any of them. The only one i can see a half argument is the fourth as its smithys man that put it in but that came from garrity messing up clearing the ball and the ball pinged straight to smithys man so wouldn't say there is much he could of done about that. The other 3 honestly baffled me. I dont think smith had a great game but to put the blame on him for 3 of the goals is delusional. First harrison soft as <ovf censored> and they break through a non existent midfield smith has a split decision to stay with man or go out he starts go out the guy shoots from 30 yards stone should of done better. Second forrester week as <ovf censored> so smith has come out because of that error they cross and someone in box scorers how can that be deemed smiths fault. The third smith nowhere near guy chesting it down in the box but is the one that closest to blocking it as the other defenders just let him have all the time in the world to bring it down and have a shot. 

Must admit to thinking the same that Jonny had gone a bit over the top. Not his best game in a vale shirt by any stretch but certainly not as culpable as Jonny would want you to believe. 

23 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Must admit to thinking the same that Jonny had gone a bit over the top. Not his best game in a vale shirt by any stretch but certainly not as culpable as Jonny would want you to believe. 

Its starting to grate on me now sprouting nonsense to a large amount of vale fans.

• Like 2