Sign in to follow this  
ollyandpatch

John Ridley

Oh, no.

It is very sad news but I don't think he'd been well for some time.

I used to see him in my local sometimes.

A tall, elegant player was John. He gave the Vale great service.

9 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

This is very sad news. He was a great player. 

Lovely bloke, great player for us. Him and Harris first names on the team sheet back in the day. RIP Jimmy Riddler.

Edited by toyahw

Goodness. After failing to hold down a regular place in midfield, he formed a most unlikely effective central defensive partnership with Terry Lees.

As I remember at this time (mid 70’s) there was talk of a move to Spurs which never materialised and he ended up signing for Leicester.

John was one of those rare footballing commodities  - well educated and a gentleman. 

Very sad news indeed. 

Good grief, he was an excellent player for the Vale. Always remember his goal vs Arnold in an FA Cup replay in the late 70's at Vale Park, Vale were losing either 2-1 or drawing 2-2 and from near the touchline on the Railway Stand side he curled in a beauty with his right foot at the Bycars end, it changed the whole game and Vale went onto win 5-2. It was important 'cause Vale were being given the run around at VP by a lower non league team who we could only manage a draw  with the previous Saturday.

I think Vale received a sizable fee when he moved on.

10 hours ago, TheSage said:

Oh, no.

It is very sad news but I don't think he'd been well for some time.

I used to see him in my local sometimes.

A tall, elegant player was John. He gave the Vale great service.

I had the occasional pint with John in The Bird in Trent Vegas.He liked a flutter aswell.Lovely gentleman,Been ill for quite a long time.RIP John.

He was my Maths teacher at school. Wonderful teacher and he would sometimes join in with our football games in PE. He got Robbie Earle to come into the school to give a talk to the kids one time also. I have nothing but great memories if him. Top bloke, it’s made me feel very sad to read this news. 😢

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Knew John when he was involved with Silverdale White Star, his bro Alan also played for them. He was a lovely bloke. As many of you have mentioned such an elegant footballer. RIP John.

He can't have been that old. Great player for us and always looked composed. Possibly a better player second time around as he sometimes had an error in him when he first played for Vale.

Very sad news, I saw a fair bit of his second spell incuding the promotion in 1983. 

RIP John.

82/3 remains to this day my favourite ever season.

Promotion as a 15 year old was magical.

Unassuming player who you didn't notice that much because he was such a steady influence. 

What with Steve Fox and also the Ernie Moss illness my heroes are being taken from us 

RIP Ridders 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another sad day, too many of them recently. John was a very elegant player, he always seemed to have time on the ball.  He was a man of many talents who built two different careers.  Followers of Coronation Street will know about that reference to Newton and Ridley.  There was only one occasion when Bob Newton and John Ridley scored in the same game, at Hereford in 1983 our promotion season. I lived in Hereford at the time, and greatly enjoyed my very short journey home from Edgar Street that day.   We mourn his passing, but celebrate his life.

2 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

There was only one occasion when Bob Newton and John Ridley scored in the same game, at Hereford in 1983 our promotion season. I lived in Hereford at the time, and greatly enjoyed my very short journey home from Edgar Street that day.  

Oddly, back then I lived in Leominster, attended the same game, and also travelled back up the A49 with a big smile on my face.  Wonderful memories.

Really sad to hear about this.  He was one of the players from the seventies who I thought was great to watch - calm and composed, it was no surprise when he moved up to play for Leicester.  Great to get him back in the early 80s for another promotion. Rest in peace John, and thank you.