Jacob_123

Retained list

Askey also said he was hoping we can get a decent striker in without having to pay too much, which sounded a bit ominous to me. Good strikers cost money and I hope the new owners can find the brass to help him out. Our previous owner was notorious for saying he could find a better striker than Pope for less money and look how that went. If we are looking for quality in a forward position, we'll have to find the readies, unless we are very, very lucky.

Carol and Kevin have a to do list a yard long, every item needing money to be spent on it, so it's not surprising if they have to set priorities. I would imagine though that on field spending is at the top of the list.

Askey also said he was hoping we can get a decent striker in without having to pay too much, which sounded a bit ominous to me. Good strikers cost money and I hope the new owners can find the brass to help him out. Our previous owner was notorious for saying he could find a better striker than Pope for less money and look how that went. If we are looking for quality in a forward position, we'll have to find the readies, unless we are very, very lucky.

I don't think it all depends on money. Clearly paying money out can help but it's not a 100% guarantee.

I know I am going to go back a fair bit now but... we paid £300,000 for Peter Beadle and he was rubbish. We paid £3,000 for Andy Jones and he was not.

I understand that if you want a "quality, proven striker" you will probably have to pay for that but as we know to our cost, sometimes another club's "brilliant" player can often be a let-down when they move to us.

If you have a quality scout then you may still be able to get a bargain. I understand Rudge played a part in Clark joining earlier this season - perhaps he has a couple of "chancers" he may recommend?

Personally, I would be happy with the way Rudge used to do it - bring in one of each - an experienced old hand (a Ally Brown, a Ron Futcher, a Nicky Cross) and a young rookie (an Andy Jones, a Darren Beckford) to learn off them.

If we end up with an experienced striker to pair with Pope and one we don't "have to pay too much" for that would work for me.

Didn't I hear Askey say this morning on the radio that we wanted two strikers in asap because the only one we had left now was Pope?

In which case it suggests that Miller has gone - which some of us thought was the case weeks ago. But I've seen nothing about him.

Cryptically he also said something about wanting people who were professional.

Yes, I heard him say that. Needs to get more goals in the team as we rely too heavily on tom and he's now the only striker left.

As rob said I'd expect, and take, one or two lads with a hunger and maybe a point to prove to come in and learn off popey.

There's some decent strikers that posted good returns playing up front with pope.

This is my issue with vale fans now. Whilst smurthwaite was in charges signing these young lads from non league was frowned upon on here. Now it’s completely changed.

And to a post I’ve seen earlier stating they’ve probably got more important things to spend money on that the budget.. really? It’s a football club once again the last chairman would be slated for this.

That is part of the fat blue ones legacy though. He fleeced Carol and Kevin for more than he deserved for the club after wrecking it and that obviously doesn't help their budget. Also, Burgess actually has some pedigree and could probably start in the first team, Norm was only interested in bargains that he could punt out for more money to some gullible club, he didn't consider their use to the manager for now.

Yes, I heard him say that. Needs to get more goals in the team as we rely too heavily on tom and he's now the only striker left.

As rob said I'd expect, and take, one or two lads with a hunger and maybe a point to prove to come in and learn off popey.

There's some decent strikers that posted good returns playing up front with pope.

Proven 20 goal a season strikers cost serious money and lets be honest every team in our division wants at least 1. Also if I was that individual realistically the Vale would be way down the pecking order as a result of our last 3 seasons. The same with serious potential 20 goal a season strikers the same criteria applies to them. So looks like we are looking to uncover a hidden gem, as mentioned earlier its been done before. Just wary of the obvious pitfalls in that we might have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a Prince.

This is my issue with vale fans now. Whilst smurthwaite was in charges signing these young lads from non league was frowned upon on here. Now it’s completely changed.

The difference is that Askey also picks the team on a Saturday.

That is part of the fat blue ones legacy though. He fleeced Carol and Kevin for more than he deserved for the club after wrecking it and that obviously doesn't help their budget. Also, Burgess actually has some pedigree and could probably start in the first team, Norm was only interested in bargains that he could punt out for more money to some gullible club, he didn't consider their use to the manager for now.

The Smugthwaite thought every young kid was going to be a Hugill.

Not from me it hasn't. I've always been a fan of bringing in from non-league as I think you can take a gamble on a few and usually see one or two make the step up.

For example, I think Oyeleke has broken through last season and I personally felt Angus could well have followed suit given a chance. I also wonder if Trickett-Smith can do so next season.

I also don't think Smurthwaite's recent purchases were "non-league" anyhow - the ones he brought in like Edser and Whelan were academy kids from higher leagues - a different thing altogether to non-league prospects.

The Smugthwaite thought every young kid was going to be a Hugill.

The ironic thing about that is that I remember him saying that the Academy was a waste of money, cost a fortune and blamed it on Paul Wildes.

However, out of those eleven players, ten didn't make it but one (Hugill) made the club its biggest fee in decades. Not a bad Wildes thing to do then!

And that for me shows that taking a gamble can work. Not every player will progress but the odd gem (like Hugill) can more than make up for it.

However, the key is to scout players properly (Jimmy Bell of Accrington was the Academy manager wasn't he? That's probably a telling thing IMO) wheras I felt Smurthwaite just relied on agents touting him the next big thing and his approach was a completely scattergun one.

Having cleared out so many players realistically there’s no way we can expect 8 or 10 signings that everyone will perceive as being “quality”, so folks may as well get used to that idea here and now.

However, just a couple or three good additions would make a massive difference when added to the first team players who were retained.

It’s still early days. 👍

The ironic thing about that is that I remember him saying that the Academy was a waste of money, cost a fortune and blamed it on Paul Wildes.

However, out of those eleven players, ten didn't make it but one (Hugill) made the club its biggest fee in decades. Not a bad Wildes thing to do then!

And that for me shows that taking a gamble can work. Not every player will progress but the odd gem (like Hugill) can more than make up for it.

However, the key is to scout players properly (Jimmy Bell of Accrington was the Academy manager wasn't he? That's probably a telling thing IMO) wheras I felt Smurthwaite just relied on agents touting him the next big thing and his approach was a completely scattergun one.

Bell was the manager, George Foster was the chief scout IIRC.

And to a post I’ve seen earlier stating they’ve probably got more important things to spend money on that the budget.. really? It’s a football club once again the last chairman would be slated for this.

I'm a bit more confident now that Smurthwaite isn't scouting them.

Askey knows what burgess can do as he's had him before.

Hannant apart, I got the feeling we were signing lads at random.

I don't think it all depends on money. Clearly paying money out can help but it's not a 100% guarantee.

I know I am going to go back a fair bit now but... we paid £300,000 for Peter Beadle and he was rubbish. We paid £3,000 for Andy Jones and he was not.

I understand that if you want a "quality, proven striker" you will probably have to pay for that but as we know to our cost, sometimes another club's "brilliant" player can often be a let-down when they move to us.

If you have a quality scout then you may still be able to get a bargain. I understand Rudge played a part in Clark joining earlier this season - perhaps he has a couple of "chancers" he may recommend?

Personally, I would be happy with the way Rudge used to do it - bring in one of each - an experienced old hand (a Ally Brown, a Ron Futcher, a Nicky Cross) and a young rookie (an Andy Jones, a Darren Beckford) to learn off them.

If we end up with an experienced striker to pair with Pope and one we don't "have to pay too much" for that would work for me.

I agree with a lot of that but, after the last three seasons, we can't afford too many more gambles in the hope that one turns out well. Rudgie did have a lot of success in bringing in unknown players who cost relatively little, but he also paid out for some of the best strikers we've seen, my own favourite being the Tin Man. It would work for me too if we got a decent striker we didn't have to pay too much for but I'm seriously concerned at the prospect of another season trying to survive on Popey's goals. We do need a proven striker, imho, after finishing as the lowest goalscorers in L2.

Fair point and I guess a lot of things are down to continuity and consistency. In that - Rudge was there long enough and with enough of a proven record to be able to be trusted to make big-money signings and yet still be able gamble on signings (whether from non-league or abroad). The latter were more hit and miss as for every Robin Bernstein or Nico Jalink there was a Robin van der Laan or Jan Jansson etc. But he was allowed to sign them precisely because he had unearthed some gems that way.

I guess what is happening now is we've had an influx of unknown and often poor quality signings and every time an unknown player is signed the warning bells go off.

For me, I'd agree that I'd like a squad with a spine of experience/quality plus some "chancers" which may or may not pay off.

It looks to me like the cheaper signings are coming in now. That seems to chime with Askey's comments to the Sentinel that...

"It is getting the timing right. At the moment, players' prices are at their highest. Another month down the line when they start to worry about whether they have a club to sign for or not, then the prices come down slightly. So, sometimes it is just about holding your nerve."

So maybe it's a month to go before the experienced / more expensive ones are targeted?

Not from me it hasn't. I've always been a fan of bringing in from non-league as I think you can take a gamble on a few and usually see one or two make the step up.

For example, I think Oyeleke has broken through last season and I personally felt Angus could well have followed suit given a chance. I also wonder if Trickett-Smith can do so next season.

I also don't think Smurthwaite's recent purchases were "non-league" anyhow - the ones he brought in like Edser and Whelan were academy kids from higher leagues - a different thing altogether to non-league prospects.

I don’t mind us signing non league. But when smurthwaite was in charge everyone wanted these 20 goal a seaon players and moaned when a non league player signed. Now it seems different. Players like Angus and oleyeke were very recent as well as others. Trickett smith as you say.

I don’t mind us signing non league. But when smurthwaite was in charge everyone wanted these 20 goal a seaon players and moaned when a non league player signed. Now it seems different. Players like Angus and oleyeke were very recent as well as others. Trickett smith as you say.

Difference is, under Norman, the club had the financial capabilities of competing for big-name strikers. We made over £2.5m from transfers (and God knows more from exclusivity fees, gate receipts, and TV money) and didn't see a penny reinvested. He's ran off with everything, including the future instalment that has yet to be paid on Hugill. We're starting, effectively, from zero.

That's why attitudes differ; Norman could have funded a big name forward but chose instead to fund Danny Elliot and Dan Trickett Smith.

Fans are more realistic now in that the club probably, bar a big season ticket push (which some refuse to back unless we sign a big name player, in THE most ludicrous, backwards, and reductive display of logic and critical thinking I've ever seen), doesn't have the funds to compete, yet, for the big names. This is a direct result of the penny pinching and pilfering delivered by Mr Smurthwaite.

In time, we'll get back to signing bigger names. Just going to take time to build up the revenue to do so after being run in the incompetent and at times immoral way we have been.