onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

BBC Radio Joke at it again

Twitters

Absolutely - and their budget is about to be even smaller if they continue to provide the over-75s with a free licence. The cost is about 20% of their entire budget I believe, so they're desperate to do away with it or change it in some way. Nothing like penalising the elderly especially when almost 400 BBC staff earn over £100k, including over 50 who earn more than the Prime Minister, and the top earners like Chris Evans and Gary Lineker pulling in seven figures (and, shamefully, only one third of their top earners being women).

So with pay practices like these, they'll have more than enough excuses to cut back on their broadcasting even further.

Is there any way of cancelling the BBC license fee but continuing to watch Sky and Amazon Prime,Netflix etc?

It's like trying to get out of the EU.

Advert

Is there any way of cancelling the BBC license fee but continuing to watch Sky and Amazon Prime,Netflix etc?

It's like trying to get out of the EU.

I think getting out of the EU is probably easier than genuinely trying to avoid paying for a TV licence. If you have a TV, laptop etc in the house, then it's certainly a case of guilty until proven innocent, which is completely contrary to how the law is usually applied! You only need a TV licence if you can convince the authorities that you're not watching any live programs (this includes 'as being shown on TV), nor downloading anything on the iPlayer. Needless to say, they will take a LOT of convincing!

you would still need a license if you only had a radio.

That's not strictly true as radio was exempted from the Wireless Telegraphy Act, I think in the 70s. If you're watching any TV broadcast media though, even if you're watching on a laptop, you'll still need one.

It just means they can't send round the TV detector vans any more. :smile:

Thank you for getting in touch about BBC Radio Stoke on 13 November.

I understand you are unhappy the Walsall v Port Vale match wasn’t aired as expected.

While the programme information includes this match, it was only for updates, with live commentary coming from the Crewe Alexandra v Shrewsbury.

It’s also worth noting, that at the end of the previous programme, the presenter stated that commentary would be coming from the Crewe Alexandra v Shrewsbury match. I do appreciate you feel the wrong choice was made here, and that more exact detail should have been provided in promotional material.

Unfortunately, the sport budget isn’t unlimited, and we have prioritised the games in the knock-out phase.

For the remainder of this football season however we will be providing full-match commentary of all Port Vale, Stoke City and Crewe Alexandra first team games regardless of the competition.

Please be assured that your comments have been circulated to senior management at BBC Radio Stoke on our daily feedback report.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Thank you for getting in touch about BBC Radio Stoke on 13 November.

I understand you are unhappy the Walsall v Port Vale match wasn’t aired as expected.

While the programme information includes this match, it was only for updates, with live commentary coming from the Crewe Alexandra v Shrewsbury.

It’s also worth noting, that at the end of the previous programme, the presenter stated that commentary would be coming from the Crewe Alexandra v Shrewsbury match. I do appreciate you feel the wrong choice was made here, and that more exact detail should have been provided in promotional material.

Unfortunately, the sport budget isn’t unlimited, and we have prioritised the games in the knock-out phase.

For the remainder of this football season however we will be providing full-match commentary of all Port Vale, Stoke City and Crewe Alexandra first team games regardless of the competition.

Please be assured that your comments have been circulated to senior management at BBC Radio Stoke on our daily feedback report.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us.

Same standard response as I got. Couldn't be bothered to be original could they?

Yet again, they’ve managed to slip a sly one in to demonstrate their Sjoke bias by using more of their precious budget to extend the after match phone in to 22:30. I was so disappointed that the regular programming was disrupted, or at least was hoping to hear Paula White following the Derby match. Radio Sjoke City, utter embarrassment of a station.

I notice they had a 'technical problem' last Saturday (probably a massive dose of CBA) and they couldn't do the FM/MW/DAB split like normal.

It was like the old days again with just one featured game. So with Stoke and Vale both at home, and Crewe a long way away at Crawley, what would have been the most appropriate game for a Public Service Broadcaster to cover? You've guessed it. Full commentary of the Stoke game.

Did anyone else see lee blakman on midlands today last night when he said, here in Birmingham when in fact he should have said Burslem. Really professional not .

Yes I did and thought ‘what a complete plonker’. But the again, I’ve always thought that. Can we have Phil Bowers back please. I’m sure George Andrews can’t be as bad as Blakeman.

• 2 weeks later...
We left on 90 Melv and heard our goal on the radio so there wasn’t a problem

OK cheers.I tried a couple of times and didn’t get anything Vale.Maybe as I tuned into each different channel I just did so as they were doing a bit on the Stoke ,Crewe game.

Yes I did and thought ‘what a complete plonker’. But the again, I’ve always thought that. Can we have Phil Bowers back please. I’m sure George Andrews can’t be as bad as Blakeman.

Regarding Blakeman, he was covering the Villa v Stoke game today (that's quite a few Stoke games he's done recently while Sandoz has done the Vale game), and he showed his true (red-and-white) colours when talking about Stoke before the game - when Liam Lawrence talked about his time there, Blakeman was positively salivating and said "I could talk to Liam Lawrence about the promotion winning season all day! - i.e. really emphasised how it thrilled him"

Always thought he had a bugbear about Vale and in particular Vale fans - he's definitely a Stoke fan, and is not impartial in the slightest. (but then that's not a surprise on that joke radio station - Acres is Stoke-mad and both him and Liz Ellis constantly make reference to them on their midweek breakfast show).

Archived