onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

BBC Radio Joke at it again

Twitters

So on Sunday we didn’t get a Praise and Grumble because of scheduling issues, yet they managed to do one when Stoke played away at Leeds on a Sunday. Tonight, they don’t bother to do any commentary on Vale yet do commentary of the Crewe game on all three frequencies!

And they have the nerve to call themselves the voice of local sport!

Advert

Vale fans should boycott the p&g show and don't text and ring in again until it changes,they are quick to report on any alleged racial abuse or report fighting at Vale and brush it under the carpet when it happens at the 365 stadium.

Turned Radio Sjoke off and watching the Vale live on FB.

Can’t believe these clowns are at it yet again. I agree that the whole station should be boycotted, at least Signal 1/2 are openly Stoke. I posted this in total disgust on Sunday, after the game.

Radio Joke have hit an all time low. Expected to be be listening to the phone in after the match and THEY decide not to have one. I’ve phoned them to ask why, and they say it’s because of it being a Sunday and to fit in around the program scheduling. Absolute crop. Don’t Sjoke ever play on a Sunday? They manage to fit it in to the schedule then, don’t they? They have FM, DAB and MW, yet still can’t accommodate a post match phone in Had the nerve to ask me to phone P&G tomorrow, patronising git.

At least the president has been set, no more Lardies on a Sunday afternoon then eh?

Don't they claim "the only place you can get full coverage of every Stoke City, Port Vale and Crewe Alexandra first-team game" - surely they can't air that jingle again unless they get someone to re-voice it from "every" to "almost every"...

I recently contacted them about the way the do their commentary and got the following reply.

Dear Melv,

Thanks for getting in touch and your comments about our coverage. I am Andrew – I’m the Managing Editor at BBC Radio Stoke, I’ll do my best to answer your points.

Our commitment to our 3 local league football teams is equal.

We’re the only radio station to provide commentary of Port Vale, Crewe Alex & Stoke City games - home and away regardless of kick off times and television coverage.

As you mention, this can be disruptive to other programmes and listeners particularly those who don’t like football, but I consider providing the commentary to be a very important part of what we do.

Providing commentary on 3 teams home and away is also expensive, as well as the staffing costs of sending commentary teams to games we also have to pay each of the clubs thousands of pounds each year for the rights to deliver live commentary.

These costs are something we continually review – and again I am convinced that providing commentary is the right way for us to use licence fee funds, as if we didn’t provide this service no other broadcaster would.

If any of our 3 teams kick off at unusual times (and are the only team playing) they tend to get full coverage on all frequencies meaning as many people as possible can hear the commentary and we get most value for the licence fee spent.

For example Port Vale’s game against Sunderland this Sunday will be on all frequencies even though that means moving a programme and shortening another which is disruptive – but I think entirely appropriate given the interest in the game.

We cannot not provide radio commentary, just because a game is being shown on TV.

As you know the TV companies move fixtures to suit their audiences. Also not everyone has access to BT Sport or Sky.

We provide our commentary free of charge to listeners.

Thanks for your comments.

Andrew

Andrew Bowman

Editor BBC Radio Stoke

Get your e mails sent in to him - [email protected].

Might be worth getting him to explain why directly to OVF (Maybe robf / admin could contact him directly) He will then have his chance to explain / give his reasoning to a much bigger audience.

Archived