onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

I know it isn't pleasant telling players that they will have to leave but we really must clear the decks and put together almost a brand new starting XI for August.

In all honesty, I'd only keep in my squad the likes of Pope, Worrall, Monty and maybe Kay, Gibbons, Smith and Hannant.

I'd like to see if Knops can regain fitness too but that's a long shot.

Unless I've forgotten someone the rest of them can go, bar perhaps a couple of youngsters who may develop, like Angus & Benns.

The Table does not lie. We've been dire for 24 months and the last three performances must rate as the worst three on the trot that I can recall, though it might be that some of the players have known their fate for a while.

It isn't going to be easy or cheap but if we don't build a completely different first XI for August then this time next year we'll be down with Ebbsfleet, Barrow & Salford. It can't go on.

Advert

Well we won’t be paying off Hannant, Gibbons and Smith to get rid of them because they will be the core of the squad next season along with pope, Worrall, Monty, Kay and Pugh.

Spot on and if possible the only ones I would keep alongside Angus, Benns and Hornby. The rest can go and I think they will. Our budget will be about 7th in the division so it will be up to Aspin to mould a fit and motivated squad. It’s not all about money.

I will wait to see who we manage to bring in before I get excited about who we have released. Don't forget we struggled to get anyone in during the January window, we don't know if our recruiting ability has improved since then.

Very true RZ. When you are a team that got relegated last season and tried their hardest to do the same again this season you aren't an attractive proposition. Add in our chairman who is a blue version of Donald Trump and Aspin has a big job on his hands. I think he will be shopping in the Conference for more like Hannant where at least League football will be seen as a step up.

So every week you’ve argued that we should drop the player you think is our best whilst in a relegation battle?

No i didnt say drop him i said to try different personnel or you become predictable .

To be honest with you he as done well get the goals he as ,as the majority of the games we barely created a chance for him .

Wingers Aspin we need who can beat a player ,excite the crowd and a centre half whos presence in the opposition box creates space for others .

We could argue for ever more but all i know this we have being a 3 out of ten for overall performance over 23 games at home ive witnessed .

The table does not lie we are continually performing poorly yet our support has mainly being major supportive when the players have upped it which has not being regular enough for me to renew my season ticket and go without sleep watch them anymore regularly .

U reap what you sow .

Another season like the last 3 and we are deservedly gone to non league .

Personally I’d retain-

Pope, Worrall, Smith, Gibbons, Hannant, Kay, Montano and the rest I would lose no sleep over at all. The above can form the nucleus of a good starting 11 with 10 additions. The rest sorry lads just not needed given the seasons results

My personal guess... Turner Calverley and Benns to get contracts, everyone else out. Not sure on knopps but I hope he gets a go. Hopefully tounge out aswell and Lainton, Barnett and Davies listed and gotten rid off

Personally I’d retain-

Pope, Worrall, Smith, Gibbons, Hannant, Kay, Montano and the rest I would lose no sleep over at all. The above can form the nucleus of a good starting 11 with 10 additions. The rest sorry lads just not needed given the seasons results

I'd go along with that. We escaped relegation by 1 point I the end. If it wasn't for consistent performances from these players mentioned then we'd have been relegated. The rest of the squad just ain't good enough and need shipping out

Let's be honest, there is nothing much interesting in who we currently have - beyond the 6-7 mentioned a couple of times, the rest of the squad are not up to it.

The key thing for me is Aspin saying he wants to have his squad in place early. This is good news - whether or not it comes to fruition, it points to the fact that he has a plan and some targets. The realities of lower league football finance aside, we need to get quality people onboard ASAP, to inspire both the fanbase, and potential future signings. Waiting until the last minute, missing out on key targets and having to go to options 2/3/4 late in the day will not produce a positive result.

The reality of lower league football is that you don't get years to build a side - it is constantly in a state of flux where you have 2-3 years before you have to rebuild & refresh what you have. So there is no reason, with a clearout, that we can't be positive about next season.

Archived