onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

Advert

Aspo looks to have done the best he can at the moment. Shopping list needs to concentrate on the spine of the team to start with. New keeper needed, new central defence who is someone with experience to improve Smith and instil confidence, goal scorer with pace to support the Pope and to be able to take over the Pope’s role as he slows down more, and if that is not difficult enough we desperately need a new Ian Taylor/Robbie Earle box to box player. None of the above will be easy to find and none of the should be older than mid 20s. If anyone can find such players I think Aspo and Rudgie can. But please no more nearly over the hill players, and no more injury prone players. Lets build a team in preseason and not a bunch of individuals.

Yep, how could I have forgotten a goalkeeper? :doh:

You're right about the spine - let's hope Rudgie hasn't lost his touch and can unearth a few gems.

I've only seen Howe once - in the Carlisle game - and he was awful. Slow, cumbersome and with his feet in concrete. If he was like that again at Cambridge I can understand why he's no longer required. He's been here for a few months and played reserve football, so Aspin clearly thinks he's seen enough. I'm sorry it hasn't worked out for him but I'm not sorry to see him go.

Brave decision by Aspin as he was the bloke who signed him a few months ago.

As others have said above, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. We need 5-6 better quality players in all areas of the pitch. But they don't come cheap and are not easy to find. Fingers crossed. The quality of these new lads will determine our whole season, so no pressure!

Pretty much as I expected really. As others have said I suspect Tonge and Pugh may take on some sort of coaching duties as well as still being registered as players which would be sensible as they're under contract anyway and have top level experience.

We'll be lucky to offload any of the listed players unless some non-league teams might fancy them. Barnett could still do a job if he could be bothered to put any effort whatsoever in but with his attitude he'll probably be happy to doss about in the stiffs and keep pinching his wages. Howe may well be picked up by a National League side as he's had success there before. Davis...mmmm? Anybody's guess if he can get an offer somewhere else. Lainton, hah! Let's just hope somebody gives Michel Brown a job because who else would sign a guy with his injury record?

Big thing now is what backing will Norman give to bring in the players of the quality we need? I won't be holding my breath but I'd like to be pleasantly surprised.

Just listened to 10 minute interview with Aspo where he makes the following points:

* 7 pre-season games lined up, including Blackburn, Blackpool, Rotherham, Shrewsbury and Redditch (as agreed when the club took Dior Angus) plus two unknown, one of which will be a Conference club; four games will be at home so that the new players can get used to playing at Vale Park

* Already lost one potential signing who has gone to a League 1 club - nothing we could do about it, apparently

* New signings are the 'be all and end all' if we are to be successful next season

* Will need to pay a fee for players we want already under contract

* Changes to come to backroom staff (is this why he's kept Tonge and Pugh on - which might release more into the playing budget?)

He also outlined his training regime for pre-season. Thought Aspo looked pretty determined to get this right. Just hope he will get Norman's backing.

This is what I like about Aspin, not only is he honest (a lot of people like to say they're honest when they actually aren't), this kind of breaking down of tasks show a true professional. He's not using spin, but he's demonstrating here that everything is thought through, planned with great detail, and with rationale to explain what he's doing. As was the case with Adams after we lost a few players early pre season, I'm patient enough to wait and see what the summer brings.

Aspin is the best thing going for the club at the moment, and he deserves serious backing in the summer.

This is what I like about Aspin, not only is he honest (a lot of people like to say they're honest when they actually aren't), this kind of breaking down of tasks show a true professional. He's not using spin, but he's demonstrating here that everything is thought through, planned with great detail, and with rationale to explain what he's doing. As was the case with Adams after we lost a few players early pre season, I'm patient enough to wait and see what the summer brings.

Aspin is the best thing going for the club at the moment, and he deserves serious backing in the summer.

100% agree. I'm confident that with the right amount of backing, Aspin could delver a team that we can be proud of. The problem is whether or not Norman will give it to him.

By way of an apology for the last few years, he should back Aspo to the hilt. I won't hold my breath.

We cannot lose sight of the damage Norman has done to this club and the pressure needs to increase to get him to sell to Synectics.

Otherwise, we will just suffer a repeat of this season which could easily end up in National League football.

100% agree. I'm confident that with the right amount of backing, Aspin could delver a team that we can be proud of. The problem is whether or not Norman will give it to him.

By way of an apology for the last few years, he should back Aspo to the hilt. I won't hold my breath.

We cannot lose sight of the damage Norman has done to this club and the pressure needs to increase to get him to sell to Synectics.

Otherwise, we will just suffer a repeat of this season which could easily end up in National League football.

Exactly. I'd like him to write off all loans ideally, but at the very least he owes the fans a decent budget for Aspin to have free reign to sign who he wants, with none of it adding to the directors loan (which is against ffp anyway).

* Changes to come to backroom staff (is this why he's kept Tonge and Pugh on - which might release more into the playing budget?)

We could put the pair of them to use in the ticket office or as turnstile operators. They're certainly slow enough.

Ok im going add my thoughts to the discussion .

Id transfer list as well as the four Aspin has Pugh Tonge Kay and Smith .

I feel these four are one paced and on what ive witnessed over the 25 games ive gone to are going need to be either replaced or unused subs and only used as last resort if main players are injured .

So for me theres four of this seasons squad who are in my opinion of keeping a shirt they are Montano Worrall Hannant and Pope .

Hornby maybe to but a more experienced keeper would be nice .

So two new centre backs a Howskins and a Sol Bamba(cardiff city ) type a winner who can pass a ball and be brave and get us up that field .

Where you get one like him and the Wolvescentre half will determine whether we move forwards or not .

Surely we could attract the big unit from Accrington who was magnificent v Vale Jackson his name .

Wingers Vale good sides over the years have players who aint afraid beat a player and pace in central midfield and the ability to do the dirty work as well as carry the ball forwards pass amd move and get in the oppositions box .

I dont want c our two midfielders virtually playing as two extra centre halfs ,but id say thats because we are outfought usually as we did not have a big commanding player at Centre half and when we did he moved to Forest Green for the money at a guess .

Lots to do im not going pass judgement on the released lads it wouldnt be fair as i havent seen them play but Reeves i feel will go on in the game and do well .

Im.more wortied about the players we still have they underwelmed us last year and we damn well can not be relying on them surely become world beaters next year as i feel the majority are not capable

Ok im going add my thoughts to the discussion .

Id transfer list as well as the four Aspin has Pugh Tonge Kay and Smith .

I feel these four are one paced and on what ive witnessed over the 25 games ive gone to are going need to be either replaced or unused subs and only used as last resort if main players are injured .

So for me theres four of this seasons squad who are in my opinion of keeping a shirt they are Montano Worrall Hannant and Pope .

Hornby maybe to but a more experienced keeper would be nice .

So two new centre backs a Howskins and a Sol Bamba(cardiff city ) type a winner who can pass a ball and be brave and get us up that field .

Where you get one like him and the Wolvescentre half will determine whether we move forwards or not .

Surely we could attract the big unit from Accrington who was magnificent v Vale Jackson his name .

Wingers Vale good sides over the years have players who aint afraid beat a player and pace in central midfield and the ability to do the dirty work as well as carry the ball forwards pass amd move and get in the oppositions box .

I dont want c our two midfielders virtually playing as two extra centre halfs ,but id say thats because we are outfought usually as we did not have a big commanding player at Centre half and when we did he moved to Forest Green for the money at a guess .

Lots to do im not going pass judgement on the released lads it wouldnt be fair as i havent seen them play but Reeves i feel will go on in the game and do well .

Im.more wortied about the players we still have they underwelmed us last year and we damn well can not be relying on them surely become world beaters next year as i feel the majority are not capable

Are you real.Still can’t understand why you still have a downer on Smith.

Obviously Aspin thinks there is something to build on and why has he played in every game for the last two seasons.Ok he is still learning his trade but last year he was being touted as the first million pound player sold by Vale.To be quite honest you are becoming a pain in the a@se with your constant moans about Smith and I am sure 90% of Vale fans will agree.

Problem is most of the released players bar Forrester will be paid peanuts and probably the total saved will just about pay for two decent players wages.

The big earners like Lainton,Barnet,Tonge and Pugh are still on the books stealing a wage.

Really this down to Garlick and Baldrick Brown giving them two year deals to geriatrics and we are stuck with them.

Benns and Calveley are just squad bodies. Won't feature.

We have 12 players at the present who will be competing for a first team spot. Ideal.

I thought Benns was a motm contender at Cambridge, had he been on longer a deffo motm.

If the 4 transfer listed players go then Aspo got rid of 20.

Obviously we need another goalkeeper as we only have 1

Another decent striker, a couple of decent midfielders and a couple more in defence, so 6or7 in which will leave a squad 13 less players than this season.

It would be a difficult job for any manager to find the players we so obviously and desperately need even if there was a bit of money to spend. So have to do this with a few Maryland cookies and a bottle of Lucozade only is going to be nigh on mission impossible.

Just waiting to see what players Aspin and Co manage to attract to Vale.

Previously this has been commented on that no one wanted to come to Vale for various reasons and it was those who were desperate to get a club that came. Just hope that is not the case now we have a better manager and staff and they can see what Aspin and Co are trying to do.

June and July will be the clue to how our season may go.

Archived