onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

Are you real.Still can’t understand why you still have a downer on Smith.

Obviously Aspin thinks there is something to build on and why has he played in every game for the last two seasons.Ok he is still learning his trade but last year he was being touted as the first million pound player sold by Vale.To be quite honest you are becoming a pain in the a@se with your constant moans about Smith and I am sure 90% of Vale fans will agree.

Granted I haven't seen us play much recently but Smith has been a mainstay in defence in a relegated side from league 1 and one that nearly went out of the league altogether. Is he really that good?

I think the retained list is the best one for years and should give Aspin a chance to start to build the team he wants.

Advert

Problem is most of the released players bar Forrester will be paid peanuts and probably the total saved will just about pay for two decent players wages.

The big earners like Lainton,Barnet,Tonge and Pugh are still on the books stealing a wage.

Really this down to Garlick and Baldrick Brown giving them two year deals to geriatrics and we are stuck with them.

Agreed this is our big problem and will take a chunk from Smurf's generous budget?!?!?!

It's as good a retained list as it couldve possibly been. Obviously I wanted tongue to leave but that isn't under aspins control unless they pay him off. All those released 100% deserved to leave. Happy that turner and benns have been giving a deal and also happy that knopps is at least being given a chance. The one surprise for me is the listing of Howe. Obviously he's been pretty dire in his two recent showings but that's a really big call to get rid so soon. If Barnett and lainton both leave that should free up some budget at least.

Good job aspo I look forward to see who you bring in and hope for some more gems like Hannant.

Agreed this is our big problem and will take a chunk from Smurf's generous budget?!?!?!

Don’t forget we can send these four players out on loan too, they could do a good job in National league. Lainton isn’t going to stay to be third choice, think by the time we have signed new players Pugh, Tongue and Bennett will be second or third choices too. Generally players want to play at their age or go into coaching. Could see a couple at Macclesfield as they won’t have a big budget. I would pay them off either now or at Xmas.

It would be a difficult job for any manager to find the players we so obviously and desperately need even if there was a bit of money to spend. So have to do this with a few Maryland cookies and a bottle of Lucozade only is going to be nigh on mission impossible.

Like the analogy - reminds me of the going rate for Derek and Clive, twenty Craven A and a bottle of Tizer. Crikey, that dates me a bit. Makes the point though - in the end this is going to come down to money.

Depending on who we sign Tongue and Pugh could be squad players to fill in when needed. On that basis they would be decent to have around. It's all about balance. We really need to offload the 4 transfer listed players but that will be a tough ask.

Disappointed that the younger players got released (maybe at the expense of keeping Tong and Pugh) and had hoped Middleton in particular would get a look in before the end of the season but, overall, could have been much worse. Having said that, very little 'dead wood' cleared, due to stupid contracts handed out by previous manager.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/port-vale-retained-list-live-1545214 if you scroll down it says players such as Tongue are relatvly low earners.

I’ve heard that from people within the club too. They must both be millionaires, they certainly aren’t playing for us for the money.

Disappointed that the younger players got released (maybe at the expense of keeping Tong and Pugh) and had hoped Middleton in particular would get a look in before the end of the season but, overall, could have been much worse. Having said that, very little 'dead wood' cleared, due to stupid contracts handed out by previous manager.

Just shows the harsh life of a footballer, don’t make a positive impression on the new management and they’re out.

I’ve heard that from people within the club too. They must both be millionaires, they certainly aren’t playing for us for the money.

Just shows the harsh life of a footballer, don’t make a positive impression on the new management and they’re out.

It seems as peoplw state they arw a couple of older heads mainly as back up next season.

I don think Aspo had much choice this year due to being lumbered with existing contracts. He'll be sorry to let some of the youngsters go I'm sure, but equally he'll help then to get fixed up if he can.

The four put on the list might just move on. If they can attract two year deals somewhere on similar money and get a partial payoff from the Vale they might move on. Equally, a one year deal with some dosh from the Vale might be of interest.

It'll be interesting to see who can be attracted to the Club. Contrary to some views on here, I don't think players will be put off by the last two years of crap performances. It's a chance for people to make their mark, resurrect a career, whatever!

Archived