onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

Aspin has done what he can with his hands fairly tied.

I've been incredibly frustrated with the Tonge/Pugh midfield axis of woe this season, and it'll definitely impact the number of matches I go to next season if either of them are first choices. Pugh with someone mobile next to him might be ok, but I'm afraid Tonge is just too old. However, I can't imagine he's on a great deal - he was released by Stevenage after all (which raises another question - should we really be signing 34-year olds when they get released by Stevenage!?). If money is not a big deal to them nd they find themselves not playing regular football, surely they would want to join a club that will?

On a side note, who signed Howe? We paid a fee for a guy who has looked pretty poor on his few appearances and now finds himself on the transfer list. Someone got that one very, very wrong.

All that smells of Abnorm, when you have appointed an inexperienced manager (Brown) who's in panic mode with a budget he conceives as being 3/6' because he's putting together a squad in the style of Barry Fry then unless someone who knows what they're doing questions the signings you end up with 34 year olds on a free from Stevenage, especially if they're mates with the said inexperienced manager. Similarly, if you don't know what you're doing but are so narcissistic you think you know better than everyone else then you sign some players of your own like Anton Forrester and, rumour has it, Callum Howe, who often turn out to be a pig in a poke.

If our glorious leader funds Aspo properly and sensibly for a L2 club and trusts him to do the job without interfering I'm confident he'll bring us success. Trouble is can the Blue Blimp do that and go some way to redeeming himself?

Advert

Guest TommyMac

Considering I'm reading how well Pugh and Tonge have played but not as well as Gibbons, Smith, Howkins, Montano, Hannant, Worrall and Pope; how the hell have we been so crap all season and avoided relegation by one point and a little goal difference?

My view is that the retained list is what I expected and hopefully the players on the transfer list can be moved on, either on loan or to someone who will be willing to take them on, although this won't be easy. I am confident that Rudgie and Aspo still have the contacts and knowledge to identify the type of players we need to improve. Whether they can attract those players to the club is another matter. Since the blue fool has been in charge it seems our reputation to attract players has been greatly diminished.

Problem is most of the released players bar Forrester will be paid peanuts and probably the total saved will just about pay for two decent players wages.

The big earners like Lainton,Barnet,Tonge and Pugh are still on the books stealing a wage.

Really this down to Garlick and Baldrick Brown giving them two year deals to geriatrics and we are stuck with them.

Sentinel reported Tonge and Pugh are two of the LOWEST earners

Considering I'm reading how well Pugh and Tonge have played but not as well as Gibbons, Smith, Howkins, Montano, Hannant, Worrall and Pope; how the hell have we been so crap all season and avoided relegation by one point and a little goal difference?

IMO inidvidiually only Pope and Gibbons come out of this season with a lot of praise. We've seen some up and down performances from everyone, some a lot worse than others. But I think incosistency has been a problem, having an unbalanced squad and seemingly little options for change. Montano only played well when he went to left back, Howkins only played 10 games. But more than that we had no real options to change anything tactically, no forwards other than Pope were playing well. We've had no defensive stability with every changing keepers and back 4. Thats not the way to build a side. We've relied on 6 or 7 players to stay up when in reality we need more than double that to be having a good season.

I'm pleased with the retained list. I wouldn't have kept Pugh and Tonge myself BUT we know that they are contracted, lower earners, and a good influence in the dressing room so I'm not too bothered by it. As has been mentioned before, I doubt they'll be starting together next season (I would be worried then).

After all this, it leaves us with a squad of 16 - 12 if you discount the transfer listed players or 19 if you include the players offered a contract. With Aspins preferred target of a 25 man squad, this still leaves room for quality to be added without too much of a clearout (we've had two seasons of that - we need some stability).

I expect one of the older boys in the engine room to go. One as a squad player would be ok for me but not all three again.

Contrary to what I'm reading I really don't think that 80% of the players have performed well at all this season and most of them ought to go. We haven't been ok when we've been able to field a first choice XI - we've been appallingly bad and I don't want to see the like again.

Pope is the ONLY one who has stood out for me over 10 months. Monty, Worrall and the two loan lads at the back (Anderson and Howkins) have done ok. Gunning, Gibbons & Smith sometimes. And.... that's about it. Maybe one game in four from Whitfield. I don't think I've missed out anyone.

We need 2/3rds of a team by August, not tinkering around the edges. I don't want to see more than 3-4 of these lads in my XI come August or I'll be really concerned for our future.

Now that Forrester's gone and Lainton's been listed, a couple of the physio guys are leaving. Coincidence?

I think it was more of a remarkable coincidence how Forrester's injury problems, particularly the constant hamstring injuries, seemed to clear up never to return as he approached the last 6 months of his contract!

Now that Forrester's gone and Lainton's been listed, a couple of the physio guys are leaving. Coincidence?

The treatment table just won't look the same without Anton on it. It must have been an emotional moment when he was told they were being separated.

Joking apart. I think Forrester's problems are as much in his head as physical issues. He's been injured a lot throughout his career - some very bad long term injuries - and I strongly suspect that his perceived ability not to "go the extra half a yard" and "get stuck in" as players like Aspin and Pope would do is something that he's been unable to overcome.

We've seen odd flashes of his ability and one or two excellent striker's goals. Let's be thankful for his goal at the Hive.

I'm not surprised he was released as he'd had his chances and not taken them but I wish him well and hope he can forge a career for himself somewhere, even if on a part-time basis.

Archived