onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

I honestly can't see many being interested in the 4 he has listed, let alone the decrepit duo.

Yeah, I can see us being stuck with them. Barnett isn't so bad as a bench player I suppose, but I should imagine he;s one of the top earners at the club sadly.

Advert

Those 4 transfer listed may as well go as soon as they can. They aren't wanted as part of Aspins future so when you look at the current squad its really been cut down to 14 players.

Sam Hornby

Nathan Smith

James Gibbons

Cristian Montano

Danny Pugh

Michael Tonge

Antony Kay

David Worrall

Luke Hannant

Mike Calveley

Dior Angus

Tom Pope

Dan Turner

Harry Benns

Even with the four transfer listed players (who unfortunately will be picking up a substantial wage while they're not wanted), Aspo's squad is 18. Let's say then that he's aiming for a squad of 25, that still leaves 7 new signings to come. So, if the recruitment works out well, we could be heading for quality signings in these positions:

1 Centre Back

2 Midfielders

1 Winger

1 Striker

Plus, 2 back up full backs to cover Gibbo and Montano.

That's a pretty good clear out for me, with more to come if the Transfer Four get offloaded (though looking at them, and the wages they're probably on, we'll be lucky to get any takers).

The best bit, hopefully, is yet to come: Aspo and Rudgie's shopping list. Let's hope Norman is going to let the moths out of his wallet. If he does, we might even look in reasonable shape by August.

To a large extent, thanks to Baldrick Brown, Aspo has had his hands tied, so we will need to be patient for this rebuilding process to be complete.

Tonge and Pugh will be squad players or tactical subs. I'd be very surprised if either started first match next season.

Seriously, we can't have a squad full of kids; those we have need older heads to help their game. This is where players like Tonge and Pugh come in - no matter what anyone might think, they're still useful to Aspo in some way. What will be more interesting though is who we bring in - and how he turns round the toxic brand that is Port Vale at present.

Sensible, expected in many ways retained list with the constraints Aspin had with contracted players.

The difficult time is now recruiting players we all know we need(Aspin also knows). If we can get in 4 to 7 better players we have a chance of improving enough at least to NOT be in the relegation mire. My opinion is that Aspin will come good the season after next, when we can offload even more dross.

Sensible, expected in many ways retained list with the constraints Aspin had with contracted players.

The difficult time is now recruiting players we all know we need(Aspin also knows). If we can get in 4 to 7 better players we have a chance of improving enough at least to NOT be in the relegation mire. My opinion is that Aspin will come good the season after next, when we can offload even more dross.

Only grievance anyone can have is that he hasn't listed Pugh and Tonge with the 4 others.

He's constantly talked up their contribution in the dressing room (as have younger players) in our survival.

I'll be concerned if they're starting in centre mid in the first week of August but I honestly can't see it.

They wont be our starting midfield next season i am confident of that,i dont think Aspin can really list them as they would have to choose to sign the extra year i think,thus being classed as new signings if you know what i mean

It is going to be difficult as he said he thought he had one today but then they got an offer from a league one club so have chosen them

Just listened to 10 minute interview with Aspo where he makes the following points:

* 7 pre-season games lined up, including Blackburn, Blackpool, Rotherham, Shrewsbury and Redditch (as agreed when the club took Dior Angus) plus two unknown, one of which will be a Conference club; four games will be at home so that the new players can get used to playing at Vale Park

* Already lost one potential signing who has gone to a League 1 club - nothing we could do about it, apparently

* New signings are the 'be all and end all' if we are to be successful next season

* Will need to pay a fee for players we want already under contract

* Changes to come to backroom staff (is this why he's kept Tonge and Pugh on - which might release more into the playing budget?)

He also outlined his training regime for pre-season. Thought Aspo looked pretty determined to get this right. Just hope he will get Norman's backing.

They wont be our starting midfield next season i am confident of that,i dont think Aspin can really list them as they would have to choose to sign the extra year i think,thus being classed as new signings if you know what i mean

Think Smurthwaite should ensure the 4 transfer listed are made an offer to depart now. Would also do the same with Tongue and Pugh. Yes it’s a cost but they aren’t going to feature as first teamers next year and probably they are aware of that. Let’s hope some teams in National league will take them on loan till Xmas. We will probably need some inspired loan signings too so this could work out. Who knows with stronger and younger midfield runners around them perhaps they can be of some use. But Lainton, Barnett and Howe must go.

It is going to be difficult as he said he thought he had one today but then they got an offer from a league one club so have chosen them
Probably difficult to get L1 standard players based on our budget and league position, the priority is collect a squad sufficient to finish mid-table. Then a further clear-out will give more scope in the budget, and hopefully a more optimistic view of the club, to attract L1 players to push up. Maybe Rudgie can pull a string or 2 for a loan or 2.

Pretty fair released list. Glad to see the 4 on the transfer list. We aren’t going to get anybody of any calibre coming through the door, nobody but the desperate want to sign for Port Vale, we weren’t an attractive prospect in League 1 so god knows how bad we look in League 2. We will miss out on the vast majority of the players we want to sign because we won’t want to pay anybody the money they want, so it’s down to Aspin and his staff go make best of what we get. My optimism for this club is pretty shattered at the minute and whereas in passing seasons I’ll be constantly refreshing the websites to see of any new potential signings, I’ll have a look on July 1st and see where we are. Can’t be much worse than last season.

If Brown said Tonge didn't need the money, why the hell has he not chosen to end his career? Is he really pleased with his overall performances this season?? Show some decency and do the right thing!

I really am absolutely baffled to the point of crying, that we have to look at him for another year! Can't believe Brown is still screwing us over, 7 months after his departure. He must be laughing at us somewhere.

Think Smurthwaite should ensure the 4 transfer listed are made an offer to depart now. Would also do the same with Tongue and Pugh. Yes it’s a cost but they aren’t going to feature as first teamers next year and probably they are aware of that. Let’s hope some teams in National league will take them on loan till Xmas. We will probably need some inspired loan signings too so this could work out. Who knows with stronger and younger midfield runners around them perhaps they can be of some use. But Lainton, Barnett and Howe must go.

I think it could well come to them reaching an agreement with those 4 players, especially if they get frozen out in preseason. We’ve seen it happen with a lot of players over the last year or so. Pugh and Tonge are probably going nowhere though.

Even with the four transfer listed players (who unfortunately will be picking up a
substantial wage while they're not wanted), Aspo's squad is 18. Let's say then that he's aiming for a squad of 25, that still leaves 7 new signings to come. So, if the recruitment works out well, we could be heading for quality signings in these positions:

1 Centre Back

2 Midfielders

1 Winger

1 Striker

Plus, 2 back up full backs to cover Gibbo and Montano.

That's a pretty good clear out for me, with more to come if the Transfer Four get offloaded (though looking at them, and the wages they're probably on, we'll be lucky to get any takers).

The best bit, hopefully, is yet to come: Aspo and Rudgie's shopping list. Let's hope Norman is going to let the moths out of his wallet. If he does, we might even look in reasonable shape by August.

To a large extent, thanks to Baldrick Brown, Aspo has had his hands tied, so we will need to be patient for this rebuilding process to be complete.

Aspo looks to have done the best he can at the moment. Shopping list needs to concentrate on the spine of the team to start with. New keeper needed, new central defence who is someone with experience to improve Smith and instil confidence, goal scorer with pace to support the Pope and to be able to take over the Pope’s role as he slows down more, and if that is not difficult enough we desperately need a new Ian Taylor/Robbie Earle box to box player. None of the above will be easy to find and none of the should be older than mid 20s. If anyone can find such players I think Aspo and Rudgie can. But please no more nearly over the hill players, and no more injury prone players. Lets build a team in preseason and not a bunch of individuals.

For the first time in a few years, I'm pleased with that retained list. Would have liked to get rid of Barnett, Lainton, Tonge, Pugh and Davis permanently but we're still paying for the price for Brown's scatter gun approach to signings.

It's important to remember that the last 3-4 farcical transfer windows won't be un-done quickly. It will take time.

I'm surprised with Callum Howe's transfer listing. We paid a small fee for him from Lincoln while he was on loan at Eastleigh where he'd scored 3 goals in 26 games in the league below. Seemed like a promising young buy at the time and someone I'd hoped would be a part of the squad for a few years but for some reason he's never really been given a chance or a run of games. By all accounts he was awful against Cambridge but from what I saw of him he looked like the big, physical centre half we've lacked since McCombe departed.

Archived