onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Retained list

Walka003

My anticipation of the retained list is probably one of the most exciting moments of the season which demonstrates just how bad it's been!!

Retained list, new strip, fixture list and players joining keep us going from the end of the season.

I'd go along with that. We escaped relegation by 1 point I the end. If it wasn't for consistent performances from these players mentioned then we'd have been relegated. The rest of the squad just ain't good enough and need shipping out

I suppose consistency or inconsistency more to the point is why players are at league 2 level, but I'd agree that those 7 or so players have been the most consistent, but we need to get another 10 players in who can produce consistent performances alongside those existing lads.

Advert

Pugh and Tongue are both under contract (according to Mike Baggaley). We knew about Pugh already, but only just noticed Tongue is also contracted.

I understand the criticism levelled at them but I really think people need to understand the situation better. Our options were limited, so surely in an ideal world they wouldn't have been Aspo's first choice either.

With them both under contract I'd like to see them both (plus Kay) competing for one place as a holding player next season. I think 1 of them, with their experience, would be useful, so long as they have 2 energetic, young, quality players in front of them. Confine their role to an area of the pitch where they won't have to cover as much ground, focus on winning possession, keeping it simple, and talking to the younger lads around them. Then let a Hannant type player do the leg work further up the pitch.

For all the negativity aimed their way, they could play a key role for us next season, so long as they're not all played at the same time, at the expense of better options.

I think Tonge had a clause in his contract that if he made a certain number of appearances during the season, he'd automatically get a contract for next but as my mate said at the game Saturday as Pope was giving his boots away "Tonge should walk to the crowd, give his boots away and say I'm done. I'm robbing a wage"

Lainton - Bang average at best but can we get better? Probably not. UNDECIDED

Hornby - Has looked alright, nothing more, nothing less. UNDECIDED

Boot - Not good enough for me, certainly not as a starter. GET RID

Gibbons - Has a lot to learn still but one of our very few brighter sparks. KEEP

Smith - Very average season but young and determined enough to improve. KEEP

Howe - Not been too impressed from what I've seen but willing enough to give him a chance. UNDECIDED

Davies - Poor even at his level. Only his versatility could save him. GET RID

Knops - If we can get him fit and back to the player he was he would be useful. UNDECIDED

Kelly - Not seen enough of him but probably isn't up to par. GET RID

Montano - Looks promising as a full-back and glad that he's signed on for us again. KEEP

Pugh - Don't mind him as a squad player just because of his experience alone. UNDECIDED

Tonge - If we're keeping Pugh then I don't see why we require him at this stage of his career. GET RID

Kay - Does a job, much better in midfield than defence. UNDECIDED

Benns - Haven't seen enough of him but seems one for the future. KEEP

Hannant - What he lacks in quality he makes up for in effort, and if he continues to improve could be decent for us. KEEP

Calveley - Not seen much of him at all to have a genuine opinion. UNDECIDED

Worrall - One of our better players, would do well in a better side. KEEP

Barnett - Not good enough and a questionable attitude. GET RID

Forrester - Does well for the reserves and, well, not a lot else. Not good enough simply put and far too injury prone. GET RID

Turner - Don't think he's at the standard required myself but will probably be given another chance. UNDECIDED

Angus - Looks like he has some promise, need s a run of games to see what he can do. KEEP

Pope - Past his peak but still a player a team can be built around, and we would be screwed without him. KEEP

Aspin - Achieved what he wanted to which was to keep us up, but form at the back end of the season is a major worry. I have my doubts about him but he deserves his own squad of players. KEEP (But not without hesitation)

Pugh and Tongue are both under contract (according to Mike Baggaley). We knew about Pugh already, but only just noticed Tongue is also contracted.

I understand the criticism levelled at them but I really think people need to understand the situation better. Our options were limited, so surely in an ideal world they wouldn't have been Aspo's first choice either.

With them both under contract I'd like to see them both (plus Kay) competing for one place as a holding player next season. I think 1 of them, with their experience, would be useful, so long as they have 2 energetic, young, quality players in front of them. Confine their role to an area of the pitch where they won't have to cover as much ground, focus on winning possession, keeping it simple, and talking to the younger lads around them. Then let a Hannant type player do the leg work further up the pitch.

For all the negativity aimed their way, they could play a key role for us next season, so long as they're not all played at the same time, at the expense of better options.

Understand your comments for style of play etc

but seriously I hope we would never sign x 3 experienced, probably expensive

players with the thought of playing one only.

The idea is to free up the budget for a smaller, better quality squad

Discussing Pope, Worrall, Gibbons, Smith, Hannant, Montano seems an absolute no brainer for me. They're under contract, have easily been our most consistent and influential players and will be staying. I'd also put Kay in that bracket too, possibly even Pugh. Those 2 can still do a job for us.

On the subject of the older players, they are massively influential in the dressing room and around the club, keeping it in line and being the link between players and staff. Important stuff that goes unseen really. We still need players like that in the squad. So people wishing to see the back of all 3 of Kay, Pugh and Tonge could well be disappointed.

Angus has already been slated as one for the future, whilst Benns is too. Aspin said the other week he would give Turner a chance with another contract, so it'll be interesting to see if he sticks to his word.

Lainton is our senior keeper with an horrendous injury record, common sense says its a position that needs a more reliable player.

Understand your comments for style of play etc

but seriously I hope we would never sign x 3 experienced, probably expensive

players with the thought of playing one only.

The idea is to free up the budget for a smaller, better quality squad

I agree, but it appears they're under contract. Maybe he'll list one of them at least, but if no one comes in for them, we're stuck with them.

I'm not sure if I see Gibbons and Smith as capable of being part of a consistent, strong promotion side tbh.

Lainton - Bugger off

Hornby - Back up

Boot - Sorry mate, it's not going to work.

Gibbons - Keep but replaceable

Smith - Keep but replaceable

Howe - Looked absolutely toss but has a year left so what can we do

Davies - Bugger off

Knops - Back up to Montano at LB. He will need to graft all summer to get back up to speed.

Kelly - Genuinely no idea since he's been off on loan

Montano - Keep

Pugh - Bugger off

Tonge - Bugger off

Kay - Keep

Benns - No idea youth player

Hannant - Keep

Calveley - NIYP

Worrall - Keep

Barnett - Bugger off

Forrester - Bugger off

Turner - Back up

Angus - Keep

Pope - We'd be phucked without him

Aspin - Keep.

I'm not sure if I see Gibbons and Smith as capable of being part of a consistent, strong promotion side tbh.

Lainton - Bugger off

Hornby - Back up

Davies - Bugger off

Knops - Back up to Montano at LB. He will need to graft all summer to get back up to speed.

Montano - Keep

Pugh - Bugger off

Tonge - Bugger off

Kay - Keep

Hannant - Keep

Calveley - NIYP

Worrall - Keep

Barnett - Bugger off

Forrester - Bugger off

Turner - Back up

Angus - Keep

Aspin - Keep.

Post liked for "bugger off" alone. :thumbs:

Lainton - Bugger off

Hornby - Back up

Davies - Bugger off

Montano - Keep

Pugh - Bugger off

Tonge - Bugger off

Kay - Keep

Hannant - Keep

Calveley - NIYP

Worrall - Keep

Barnett - Bugger off

Forrester - Bugger off

Turner - Back up

Angus - Keep

Aspin - Keep.

Smurthwaite - Bugger off

Ill be extremely unimpressed if all Kay tongue and Pugh stay. Happy for Kay to stay he's been decent in the middle and has experience. The other two are just way off the pace especially tongue. If Pugh has extended his contract I really bloody hope tongue dosent.

Archived