onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The OVF January Transfer Window thread

robf

think we are definitely weaker at the back,

midfield numerically the same but weaker on the left, up top no change

but cover is for key positions in the spine remains sparce so fingers crossed no injuries/suspensions

Thats the worry for me an injury to pope or worrall and Id be very worried.

Advert

Thats the worry for me an injury to pope or worrall and Id be very worried.

Pretty remarkable that Worrall was subjected to vitriolic abuse at FGR when pretty much the whole team were abject.

Anyone with half a brain can see Worrall is in the wrong division, way better than league 2 level.

Budgets restrict what a manager can do, Guardiola stating today that he cannot compete with ManU on wages and fees, but failure to win 4 trophies is not our concern. There are clubs in L2 with smaller gates and without sugar daddies that prosper, but recovering from unsettling seasons is bound to be traumatic, just hoping that we have enough wins in the tank. A left back would help.

What worries me is again we have too large a squad filled with players who obviously are not good enough for League 2 football. Appreciate the budget constraints but what about less giving us more. Fewer, better quality players.

Worrall has been our best player, certainly midfield wise. I reckon if he added a few more goals to his game we'd be struggling to keep him at VP. Probably Brown's best signing on ability alone.

As much as people keep saying we need a midfielder, we have quite a lot of them with Hannant, Worrall, Whitfield, Harness, Tonge, Kay to is arguably better as a DM than a CB. I think it's a case of finding the best combination which we all have our ideas on as will Aspin.

My personal opinion is we need a left back more which would release Jules to play centre back then Kay could be used as a defensive midfielder.

Will that be enough to see us through the season, I hope so!

Anyone got any ideas on a left back in the National League as I'm guessing that's where Aspo will be shopping based on his comments yesterday!

Worrall has been our best player, certainly midfield wise. I reckon if he added a few more goals to his game we'd be struggling to keep him at VP. Probably Brown's best signing on ability alone.

As much as people keep saying we need a midfielder, we have quite a lot of them with Hannant, Worrall, Whitfield, Harness, Tonge, Kay to is arguably better as a DM than a CB. I think it's a case of finding the best combination which we all have our ideas on as will Aspin.

My personal opinion is we need a left back more which would release Jules to play centre back then Kay could be used as a defensive midfielder.

Will that be enough to see us through the season, I hope so!

Anyone got any ideas on a left back in the National League as I'm guessing that's where Aspo will be shopping based on his comments yesterday!

If we still have the space a young CM with energy from a championship club (like Callum Guy) would be ideal next to Hannant.

A midfield of:

new young lad + Hannant

Worrall Whitfield Harness

would suit us fine. Then, its a proper left back and a keeper. Sorted, lower-mid table finish, get rid of all the rubbish, build a lean and trimmed squad and go unbeaten next year. Easy peasy.

This team is beginning to look much weaker than it was a month ago, and just underlines another very poor transfer window which leaves us threadbare in defence.

What happened to the promises of financially backing the new manager? I hope that there is a plan in place.

This team is beginning to look much weaker than it was a month ago, and just underlines another very poor transfer window which leaves us threadbare in defence.

What happened to the promises of financially backing the new manager? I hope that there is a plan in place.

that was pure bullship.

I think the squad is stronger in midfield and forward areas but weaker at the back. Gunning leaving to a rival was a mistake and Anderson recall means our loanee from Shrews needs to show loads more than he did on Saturday. But we need the window over to see where we stand.

I've been banging on about the strength of our first XI for months and the situation is deteriorating in front of our eyes.

Gunning, Anderson and Denton all gone. Replaced by Jules who looks far from fully match fit. We now need 2 defenders in 2 days.

The attacking third, in my view, hasn't been strengthened because from what I've seen Pyke was just as good as Wilson so I can't see much improvement there.

Hannant's energy and effort is good to see in midfield but he isn't a barndoor defender like Griffith/Grant, nor the creative goalscoring presence of an Eagles/Dodds.

And my fear remains if Pope gets injured......

You have to strengthen the team in January. Everyone does. We are not good enough to sit on our laurels and say that we're rock solid safe this season because we are not and things can get worse in terms of injuries/suspensions in the next three months.

Anderson was no Bobby Moore but a good, solid John McCombe type who put his head where it hurt and gave his all. He'll clearly be missed.

We really need 3-4 new players here before Wednesday or hope that we don't regret our poor January window yet again. It's a huge huge risk. Come on, Vale, pull your fingers out and get on the phone.

We need a centre half who's experienced but better than Kay in that position. A real old school ugly bald hairy arsed league two type. Experience there would improve our back line no end as although Anderson was decent enough a young pairing lacking experience often makes more mistakes.

Even if its a top end conference centre half it would do. Someone to see us through to May, someone like Darren Purse in terms of age and style.

Archived