onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Didn't Brown say he would start with two up front so he,s contradicted or surprised himself.Wasnt Tonges goal an own goal.Dont know why he offered Yates a contract if he isn't fit.Could have spent his budget on a decent player ready for the first team.

Lucky to survive after the break with all the pressure and a lucky goal against the run of play.

Don't build your hopes up a better team like Wycombe won't roll over.Another 45 games to go.

Pyke is our top scorer this season.

Clueless

Advert

Please see this post as observational and not critical. However, if we are to continue (as seems likely) to play a lone striker, the "spare" midfielder, presumably ADF as to try to support him quicker and more often. Pope ran his heart out, but to little avail due to being too isolated. Tonge showed what a class act he has been, which was encouraging, but as has been suggested by other posters maybe now lacks the legs, hence his substitution. But overall, an encouraging start, especially with so many debutantes.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Same here, mate. Pope has to have a willing player supporting him when he wins most of the balls hoicked up to him. 2nd half there was no one with the legs to assist him but Dan, DeFrietas and maybe one of the wingers should be ready to get alongside, near to Tom when we attack from defensive positions. It will come in time as the squad gets fitter and wiser.

Please see this post as observational and not critical. However, if we are to continue (as seems likely) to play a lone striker, the "spare" midfielder, presumably ADF as to try to support him quicker and more often. Pope ran his heart out, but to little avail due to being too isolated. Tonge showed what a class act he has been, which was encouraging, but as has been suggested by other posters maybe now lacks the legs, hence his substitution. But overall, an encouraging start, especially with so many debutantes.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Maybe it will be more evident at home. Remember rudgie often playing one forward in away games, and changing to a more attacking line up at home.

Maybe it will be more evident at home. Remember rudgie often playing one forward in away games, and changing to a more attacking line up at home.

I agree, I think he,ll play 2 up front at home and 1 up front away, I was a bit surprised Pyke didn't come on for Pope towards the end for his pace when Crawley had some tired legs out there, but we got a good away win, scored 3 goals so the system worked and Browny and his team know more about football than I and everyone else on here.

I thought ADF was our best player. He did nothing flashy but he was a constant pest to Crawley, he won the ball and constantly harried their players forcing them to pass sideways or backwards. A word or two about Gavin Gumming. He will never be an Allen Tankard left back going forward but I thought that defensively he was very sound, he won his tackles was tight on his winger all the time, had a decent long throw or two and at this level he will do a good job as a defender. Kiko was good going forward but could not defend, Gunning is a much better option, based on this display he will be good value for us. When Monty was on I thought he and Gunning worked the left flank well in partnership.

In the second half Crawley were coming at us but we had two banks of 4 and Crawley could not penetrate. That was a classic away performance with a lead, protect the back four give the opposition no room and look for a break to pull back another goal. The superb cross by Harness provided Dan Turner with that opportunity. In that respect this was a classic away performance.

So a good start all round. Lawrie Wilson had a torrid time against their winger bu I doubt that he will come up against many of that class in our division. I can only anticipate that the winger had an injury why else would Kewell pull him off? Lawrie will do well for us I am sure.

As everyone has alluded to game of two halves. I agree about Wilson but he is a class RB in this league and will show that once he gets used to our new team. As I choose not to attend friendlies it took me a while to work out who was who.

Can I just add that I hope the lad who was carted off by the over zealous stewards was not charged with entering the pitch. A big difference between over exuberance and the Bolton game. He did no harm and my opinion is that there was no need for that from the stewards. Long way to go for a court appearance as let's face it we ain't had much to celebrate so it all went barmy with fans and players.,.and rightly so

Firstly I didn't go yesterday so will allow those who did comment on the individual performances of players but it sounded to me like a good solid start and welcome 3pts. I can never understand those who constantly moan and groan on here. We are in L2 for a reason but I can see improvements in the playing staff and it's a pity we didn't start with this team in L1 last year as we'd of stayed up for sure. It's a lot easier to stay up than go up but hopefully we can be in the mix with Coventry, Luton and Mansfield. My only concerns are our full backs (although hopefully the lad from Leeds will solve part of the issue) and the lack of a creative midfielder but with a little luck with injuries we could challenge the top 7.

“Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain and most fools do.”

– Benjamin Franklin

UTV

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

Another thing I liked about yesterday's game was when a foot needed to be put through the ball, a foot was put through the ball especially around Vale's lst third/18yd box, it isn't pretty to watch but gets the ball out of the danger area and gives the defense time to reset.

Another thing I liked about yesterday's game was when a foot needed to be put through the ball, a foot was put through the ball especially around Vale's lst third/18yd box, it isn't pretty to watch but gets the ball out of the danger area and gives the defense time to reset.

That's what Kay was good at.

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

Watched the goals several times. All four were belters really. A great free kick from Tongue, yes deflected but c'est la vie; second was a fantastic kick-free and header by Kay who beat his man, can't say it was bad defending just more desire; there's great trickery by their guy, and good finish; fourth you could say there were question marks over the defending, but Harness' cross took 4 of their guys out and the header was clinical from Turner.

We've obviously matched them in all areas but just had that bit of extra quality when it mattered, and that will be the key to getting out of this division (the right way).

Archived