onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Crawley Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

It's a good start and three goals away for the first time in years is good (possibly Coventry away in early 2015???)

Won't bemoan one up top away if we can be that ruthless to be honest. We won 1-3 at Luton in our first league two game last time we got relegated and finished 18th so it's a small step in the right direction but think a tough Wycombe side will give us a better indication. Get Denton in and that elusive attacking midfielder and we could surprise people.

Advert

Didn't Brown say he would start with two up front so he,s contradicted or surprised himself.Wasnt Tonges goal an own goal.Dont know why he offered Yates a contract if he isn't fit.Could have spent his budget on a decent player ready for the first team.

Lucky to survive after the break with all the pressure and a lucky goal against the run of play.

Don't build your hopes up a better team like Wycombe won't roll over.Another 45 games to go.

Pyke is our top scorer this season.

shut up.

Hello Erniemossrules, not sure if you were at the game today, but I was and you're right that it wasn't all plain sailing in terms of the Vale performance, but I don't agree with your prognosis of what we may achieve this season. The first half was light years better than anything I witnessed last year. Yes we struggled a bit after halftime, but Crawley for all their possession never caused Lainton that much trouble. Brown has said we can improve and he's right we can and I think we will under his leadership. One things for certain we're not going to be bullied by anyone this year and we've got some decent footballers for League Two - which is where we are thanks to Bruno the Clown. I think we've got a great management team in place who can deliver a successful season, so all you need to do is sit back and like the rest of us enjoy the ride Ernie. There'll be some ups and downs, but just stick with it and from a fellow season ticket holder who's been watching Vale for over 40 years, take it from me, this will be good season for us!

First of all, there's one or two right weapons on this thread.

Vale showed a of fight today, something that we didn't have even close enough of last season, and all of our players rolled their sleeves up when they were under the cosh (as was always going to happen away from when the other side gets back in the game) and if you don't have that in League Two you're not getting out of it anytime soon. Having to take off Montano at half-time swung the game in their favour as he terrified them, though obviously not 100%. They bizzarly took off their best player when they were well on top which was a bit strange, but Kewell is a rookie and he'll be learning as he goes along.

We are still a few players short of what would be an ideal squad, but with one to come in on Monday and hopefully Guy still to come once he's back fit then we'll be covered. A spine of Smith, Kay, Pugh/Tonge, De Freitas and Pope is as good as any in the league. Tonge has got some criticism on here from some because of his age, but he's got bags of experience and still has some obvious ability. De Freitas was fantastic - If he continues to improve he'll bring the club money one day, f that I have little doubt. He's become my most liked player since Stephen McPhee!

All in all a battling, clinical performance that showed more character and doggedness than any I saw last season. Exactly what you would expect from a Michael Brown side really. It's obviously early days but an away win and 3 goals is hardly anything to be sneezed at, and there's plenty to work at and improve upon.

Brilliant stuff today!

First of all, there's one or two right weapons on this thread.

Vale showed a of fight today, something that we didn't have even close enough of last season, and all of our players rolled their sleeves up when they were under the cosh (as was always going to happen away from when the other side gets back in the game) and if you don't have that in League Two you're not getting out of it anytime soon. Having to take off Montano at half-time swung the game in their favour as he terrified them, though obviously not 100%. They bizzarly took off their best player when they were well on top which was a bit strange, but Kewell is a rookie and he'll be learning as he goes along.

We are still a few players short of what would be an ideal squad, but with one to come in on Monday and hopefully Guy still to come once he's back fit then we'll be covered. A spine of Smith, Kay, Pugh/Tonge, De Freitas and Pope is as good as any in the league. Tonge has got some criticism on here from some because of his age, but he's got bags of experience and still has some obvious ability. De Freitas was fantastic - If he continues to improve he'll bring the club money one day, f that I have little doubt. He's become my most liked player since Stephen McPhee!

All in all a battling, clinical performance that showed more character and doggedness than any I saw last season. Exactly what you would expect from a Michael Brown side really. It's obviously early days but an away win and 3 goals is hardly anything to be sneezed at, and there's plenty to work at and improve upon.

Brilliant stuff today!

Seems I'm probably in the minority, but thought that De Freitas was anonymous today. Pope tried but lacked support. Tonge showed in the 1st half why he was highly rated in his Blades days. Kay & Smith excellent, but both full backs less so. But great to see Turner get his 1st goal. Overall, a decent performance.

Sent from my GT-I9195I using the onevalefan mobile app

Hello Erniemossrules, not sure if you were at the game today, but I was and you're right that it wasn't all plain sailing in terms of the Vale performance, but I don't agree with your prognosis of what we may achieve this season. The first half was light years better than anything I witnessed last year. Yes we struggled a bit after halftime, but Crawley for all their possession never caused Lainton that much trouble. Brown has said we can improve and he's right we can and I think we will under his leadership. One things for certain we're not going to be bullied by anyone this year and we've got some decent footballers for League Two - which is where we are thanks to Bruno the Clown. I think we've got a great management team in place who can deliver a successful season, so all you need to do is sit back and like the rest of us enjoy the ride Ernie. There'll be some ups and downs, but just stick with it and from a fellow season ticket holder who's been watching Vale for over 40 years, take it from me, this will be good season for us!

I agree with this. Looking at results today and guessing I would say our experience in team and management can get us in say the top six. To do better we need the young players promoted to the first team squad or signed on loan to develop and become really good players. Then we are a serious threat to anyone and it's a plausible hope.

I thought Crawley looked quite decent today for Lge2 team, they'd got two uncompromising center backs, a quality guy (Randall[?] in midfield) who sprayed the ball about, a battering ram of a center forward and a real good right winger (Bodweijn??) who was a unit and a very dangerous player.

They were beaten by a team with a good mixture of skill, experience and youth who were willing and able to compete, a deflected free kick, a lovely cross by a skill player and a superb flick header and then when Crawley got back into it a quality ball and a super finnish from an energetic, young, skillful player who came on as sub when the manager spotted the danger in the Crawley team.

Good day's work for the Vale and MB.

Seems I'm probably in the minority, but thought that De Freitas was anonymous today. Pope tried but lacked support. Tonge showed in the 1st half why he was highly rated in his Blades days. Kay & Smith excellent, but both full backs less so. But great to see Turner get his 1st goal. Overall, a decent performance.

I didn't go so can't comment personally but Ray Williams on Radio Stoke said ADF was his man of the match.

Long journey made fruitful by a strong, willing display by all.

It was clear from the start that we have several players who are continually geeing each other up and voicing ways of encouragement to those around them.

This was a typical Brown showing form the squad and those of us that follow Vale away are in for more of the same, I believe. Not pretty to watch at times and certainly nailbiting and frustrating when we sit back without the required legs and nous in midfield to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

However, great to get a win on the board and 3 goals too. This entire squad( with apparently a couple more additions soon)will definitely get better and it was there for all to see yesterday the friendship and desire between the players and management. After last season this was really a blast of fresh air and although we did play a pretty poor outfit that are going to struggle it was brilliant to see Vale starting to get their mo-jo back. I am relishing the season and believe we can mount a good challenge overall to the top 6 if the lads gel as they seem to be.

For me Kay and DeFrietas were outstanding.

Please see this post as observational and not critical. However, if we are to continue (as seems likely) to play a lone striker, the "spare" midfielder, presumably ADF as to try to support him quicker and more often. Pope ran his heart out, but to little avail due to being too isolated. Tonge showed what a class act he has been, which was encouraging, but as has been suggested by other posters maybe now lacks the legs, hence his substitution. But overall, an encouraging start, especially with so many debutantes.

Archived