Advert

2 hours ago, Rockape99 said:

My team 

Sang  Smith Yak  Grant 

Funso Walters 

Plant  Ben G  Chislett 

Loft 

wont happen and I look at that and I think oh for proper fullbacks 

We can't defend as it is, we are nowhere near good enough to play with out a keeper. 

I like your confidence though haha

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Valid question - how did it come to this?

I stood in Cambridge Utd's pothole strewn car park this week, watching my car being washed and looking around at the portakabins, occasional skip and other assorted junk, not to mention their second rate ground and asked myself the very same question.

This season, in addition to Okenabirhie, Cambridge added Ahadme (top scorer on loan from Ipswich), Kachunga, Kaikai and Lyle Taylor. These five have scored 33 goals for them in 128 appearances, goals that look virtually certain to keep them up. Last game, ironically, they put three past Wigan.

Cambridge have smaller attendances than we do - and I infer, a smaller budget - and yet they had seemingly little difficuly in adding forwards to their squad having lost Smith and Knibbs to Reading in the summer. So we are entitled to ask some searching questions about striker recruitment. Cambridge are a well managed club, a community club, and they have an unrelenting focus on what happens on the pitch first and foremost.

To me, therefore, our owners have got to have a serious look at where their priorities lie. This season may be too late (let's hope and pray not) but next season needs a complete change of focus. If not, we can expect more of the same.

Spot on lad the striker issue is baffling one , I believe  the F word aimed to,high and went after championship standard strikers  and was out bid , he said he went after the top striker in League 2 and was out bid . Really stinks all that does you can smell ode de bull coming from his mouth .

but even more puzzling was the choice to play wing back system and recruiting one who has hardly played , then not recruiting at least 2 as cover . The whole process the F word implemented in respect of strikers + wing backs was faitally  flawed . 

I believe Carol or Matt needs to explain the recruitment shortfalls which ultimately has caused our relegation to league two 

• Like 8

We let our top scorer go and did not replace with an equivalent. Then resigned a forward we know is injury prone and does not score enough anyway at L1 level - panic resigning at that. Brought in a reserve striker from rival club Bristol Rovers who they let go obviously because he does not score enough. Brought in another striker who is similar to what we had - big, strong, but who was months away from fitness. Did give opportunity to Dipepa but although he's ready now, he wasn't at the start of the season. None of this is good at all. We've ended up with a platoon for attackers who don't score enough goals but the evidence to indicate that would be the case was very present in historical records. Fair dues, Chislett showed promise quickly and Garrity was a good retention. 

But in the present moment, it's not over until the fat lady sings. With better organisation we may still have enough to stay up. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 3

1,400+ Valiants tomorrow. I salute your dedication to the cause. Absolutely incredible support after the last 12 months - more than 20% of our average total home gate and I dare say more than 25% of our average home support.

Edited by saintvaliant
  • Like 8

I'm going but not least because I haven't been before and it's just one to tick off, tbh.

After they ballsed it up against Burton and Cambridge in quick succession, we need to be doing the double on these.

10 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Can't believe it is 8 years since I was last at Wigan for football. Going tomorrow because it might be a while before we play them again...

I don’t think they’ll make the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Rockape99 said:

Spot on lad the striker issue is baffling one , I believe  the F word aimed to,high and went after championship standard strikers  and was out bid , he said he went after the top striker in League 2 and was out bid . Really stinks all that does you can smell ode de bull coming from his mouth .

but even more puzzling was the choice to play wing back system and recruiting one who has hardly played , then not recruiting at least 2 as cover . The whole process the F word implemented in respect of strikers + wing backs was faitally  flawed . 

I believe Carol or Matt needs to explain the recruitment shortfalls which ultimately has caused our relegation to league two 

Didn't realise the season has finished, has Covid struck again ?

• Haha 1