onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

A poor Cambridge team, no away points this year just a goal at Shrews in a 5-1 defeat. Our 7 games in April gives us a chance to finish in the top half, just. Start on the front foot as at Pompey with a double over the Us. Don’t stop until the game is out of reach, show no mercy Vale.

Advert

We need a good, convincing home win with plenty of goals against this lowly team. Go all out attack and keep attacking throughout! 

We need to build some momentum to boost season ticket sales in April and the best way to do that is by winning and entertaining the fans! 

This game could be the catalyst to a good run of form and a revival of the feel good factor that's been a bit subdued or missing at home so far in 2023. 

Get into 'em Vale and let's score 5 or 6 and rip them apart. 

UTV! 

Anyone know what caused the Cambridge collapse?  They were flying during the 1st part of the season but have been on an horrendous run.  Were they just in a false position initially?
Just football. Injuries, mental fragility, upset in the camp, loss of form. Could be anything.

Despite what some on here seem to think, players aren't robots who can be programmed to play at a set maximum level every game

4 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Just football. Injuries, mental fragility, upset in the camp, loss of form. Could be anything.

Despite what some on here seem to think, players aren't robots who can be programmed to play at a set maximum level every game emoji16.png

Second season syndrome?

9 minutes ago, NellyTheValiant said:

Anyone know what caused the Cambridge collapse?  They were flying during the 1st part of the season but have been on an horrendous run.  Were they just in a false position initially?

Not really a collapse , they had an ok start and were in the top 8 after about 6 games, however when we won there as far back as October they were 18th after 15 games.

They have been in the lower reaches ever since . They have 4 points from last 9 games. 1-1-7.   What can possibly go wrong ? 

Glad to enjoy my humble pie about Ojo and Taylor.

I have criticized Ojo saying he offers nothing to the team. If he played each week like he did yesterday,and shot from outside the box like he did yesterday,I would change my opinion.

Taylors goal was a typical poachers goal. 

Benning had a good game yesterday and the ball was regularly coming into the box from that side.

Samson was playing in the position he was signed as. I would start the same 11...no square pegs in round holes. Go at Cambridge from the off. A 2 goal lead should be too much for them.

Despite our habit of losing leads and the fact that the season has petered out a little,I still think we deserve to have at least 6-10 more points. We've done ok this season 

If we're told that the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Ipswich are huge clubs who we should expect to struggle against, then applying the same logic, Cambridge are a tiny club who we should be annihilating! 😄

I know football doesn't always work like that, but if DC is serious about attracting 10000 fans to VP as an average attendance, then he needs to set up a team to go out and produce the goods and entertain the fans against teams like Cambridge. 

There's not really any pressure on us in this match. If we lose, we'll probably still stay up, so go all-out attack from start to finish and see if we can get a big, confidence-boosting win. 

We are at home.  Cambridge 5 loses and 1 draw.  We had a good game against Portsmouth.

The league position says we should win this.  However, we all know what happens after a good performance, the next game is a night mare performance.  If the usual Vale team turn up after a good game, then the ever giving Vale will give Cambridge the 3 points down to a lack lustre performance from the players.  Poor midfield and defending allowing them 2 shots on goal and 2 goals.  Our forwards will have loads of shots on goal and not put it in the net.

Please Vale, prove us wrong and take the 3 points we all know the good Vale team are easily capable of.

8 hours ago, DazFred said:

Glad to enjoy my humble pie about Ojo and Taylor.

I have criticized Ojo saying he offers nothing to the team. If he played each week like he did yesterday,and shot from outside the box like he did yesterday,I would change my opinion.

Taylors goal was a typical poachers goal. 

Benning had a good game yesterday and the ball was regularly coming into the box from that side.

Samson was playing in the position he was signed as. I would start the same 11...no square pegs in round holes. Go at Cambridge from the off. A 2 goal lead should be too much for them.

Despite our habit of losing leads and the fact that the season has petered out a little,I still think we deserve to have at least 6-10 more points. We've done ok this season 

Games all about opinions and respect yours but I’m surprised anyone would think Funso brings nothing to the team. I’m always a lot more confident of a result with him dictating terms on the pitch than for example while he was out especially with how how he and Pett seem to link up. I think he’s been a huge tick in the box in terms of last summers signings.

Would love to see us cut loose on these. Granted it’s not easy on that VP pitch but player for player we are simply better than them and need to stamp our authority early. Be nice just for once to really put a team to the sword especially at home.

1 hour ago, Guppys left peg said:

Games all about opinions and respect yours but I’m surprised anyone would think Funso brings nothing to the team. I’m always a lot more confident of a result with him dictating terms on the pitch than for example while he was out especially with how how he and Pett seem to link up. I think he’s been a huge tick in the box in terms of last summers signings.

Would love to see us cut loose on these. Granted it’s not easy on that VP pitch but player for player we are simply better than them and need to stamp our authority early. Be nice just for once to really put a team to the sword especially at home.

I have no doubt Ojo is a good player. However he came with such high expectations (as did Massey) that I expected him to run the game in MF this season, especially against the poorer teams at home. I don't think he's done this,even though it's not just a one man game.

Apart from a few nice passages of play,I can't pick out a game winning pass or a goal saving tackle that Ojo has made. I know he scored the winner versus Lincoln(?) but this was a rebound from Butters shot. If he scores goals like yesterday on a regular basis then I stand corrected. It was a lovely strike which shows his genuine ability. Perhaps we were spoiled by that fantastic goal against Rochdale pre season.

Totally agree with us putting inferior opposition to the sword. We have Cambridge,Oxford and Bristol at home plus Accie away which are good opportunities to do this. I don't think any of them are better than us. There's no reason why we can't gain another 12 points this season. This leaves Plymouth,Ipswich,Lincoln and Charlton.... hopefully we can aim for 60 points which should get top 12. My head says 54. Onwards....

Why have Cambridge done so badly after a pretty good first season?

Well, they recruited poorly in the summer (when they released but didn't replace Wes Hoolahan), then they had an equally bad January window, recruiting players at the end of their careers, including Ryan Bennet, a free agent who hadn't played since last season. They've also had a lot of injuries too, which hasn't helped. All in all, a bit of a nightmare.

Morale seems to be low too as their recent games against their relegation rivals yielded only one point, leaving them floundering next to bottom, and it seems as if they've resigned themselves to going down. One fan I know says that Smith, their leading scorer (on just 7) and out of contract in the summer, has simply given up.

So then, all the ingredients for a banana skin, if Vale don't get it right. We could and should put a hatful past these (they've conceded 59 with a GD of -31) provided we don't take anything for granted - just ask the Owls how easy this is after their disaster away at FGR.

There are also some good lessons to be drawn about recruitment for next season and the need to freshen things up with some different tactical approaches and changes in formation. Cambridge are perhaps a good example of how not to do it, going into your second season. 

UTV.

I think the performance as much as the result is important in this game.  Expectations will no doubt be high.  Are we on the beach, just raising our levels for the odd game v big boys?

Although their results have been poor they’ve tightened things up since being hammered by Shrews and I’d expect any team will look at our home record and fancy their chances. 

First goal always vital but usually more telling against the relegation haunted teams.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

I think the performance as much as the result is important in this game.  Expectations will no doubt be high.  Are we on the beach, just raising our levels for the odd game v big boys?

Although their results have been poor they’ve tightened things up since being hammered by Shrews and I’d expect any team will look at our home record and fancy their chances. 

First goal always vital but usually more telling against the relegation haunted teams.

Forest Green beat Sheff Wednesday on Sunday. Hence we need to turn up and play well. For me, a big limitation at Portsmouth was the inability to freshen up central midfield from the bench in the second half. Hope Garrity is back available? 

Otherwise this is a game for the strikers. We have by L1 standards 4 good strikers and we need them to take chances. Sheff Wed lost to Forrst Green having only 7 shots and 3 on target. We need to be at least double that. 

6 hours ago, Warren said:

Forest Green beat Sheff Wednesday on Sunday. Hence we need to turn up and play well. For me, a big limitation at Portsmouth was the inability to freshen up central midfield from the bench in the second half. Hope Garrity is back available? 

Otherwise this is a game for the strikers. We have by L1 standards 4 good strikers and we need them to take chances. Sheff Wed lost to Forrst Green having only 7 shots and 3 on target. We need to be at least double that. 

Agree regards being lightweight in central midfield - letting Walker and  Charsley leave without replacements hasn’t helped so this might now be the ideal time to have Tommy McD back on the bench.

Only comment on the shots stats is that number of shots/shots on target mean nothing it’s quality not quantity ie conversion rate - Wednesday’s numbers might be seen as low but FGR’s were lower and they still  won. How many times this season have our shots/shots on target been greater than the opposition’s and we’ve still not won? Having said that it now helps having Matty Taylor and our other strikers back since you’d expect our conversion rate as a team to start to improve.

Archived