onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Cambridge United

Fosse69

I just looked at Forest Green's fixtures. My interest was whether their 'improvement' would be helpful in defeating the teams above them head to head and drag all of them down the plughole. But their next fixtures are Portsmouth, Derby, Wycombe and Barnsley. So that isn't helpful to us.

Advert

53 minutes ago, Vale 1971 said:

In the corresponding fixture we won 1-0 with a own goal but apart from that and a cracking run from departed Connor Hall there was very little difference between the 2 sides so folk speaking of a big win need to reel in there big expectations .
Be nice if we can play well though .
No guarantees though .
8 games go I'd say 2 wins will guarantee league 1 football .
People will say we are safe but until mathematically impossible we are not .
Minus 15 goal difference is very disappointing and forever conceding goals when ahead is a very bad habit .
I mean like sat you winning 2-0 and on the front foot if you played that second half again you bring a extra midfielder on at half time and you do not give a very big club any momentum .
Attack is the best form of defence .
Jacobs through lobbed wide withouta Vale player within 10 yards of him started the bad spell where the game was no longer Vales
Big game it won't be easy .
Think I might give it a miss as me watching Vale lately has brought them bad luck v Burton winning 1-0 before I got in ground ,and winning 2-0 v Pompey before I payed my tenner watch on ifollow so I think I'll give my season ticket to someone else and stay away .

I think the remaining games are important in showing what we have got. Despite having an imbalanced squad, we do look strong in attack now. So if we can push up the table to say 11/12/13th the squad looks reasonable and a few natural changes are enough for next season. If we don't improve win wise, then that signals we will be in relegation trouble next season and a more active close season is needed. I'm also curious about the financial fair play rules. For example, without checking, I suspect MK Dons are taking their punishment this season. 

1 hour ago, Vale 1971 said:

In the corresponding fixture we won 1-0 with a own goal but apart from that and a cracking run from departed Connor Hall there was very little difference between the 2 sides so folk speaking of a big win need to reel in there big expectations .
No guarantees though .
Minus 15 goal difference is very disappointing and forever conceding goals when ahead is a very bad habit .
I mean like sat you winning 2-0 and on the front foot if you played that second half again you bring a extra midfielder on at half time and you do not give a very big club any momentum .
Jacobs through lobbed wide withouta Vale player within 10 yards of him started the bad spell where the game was no longer Vales
Think I might give it a miss as me watching Vale lately has brought them bad luck v Burton winning 1-0 before I got in ground ,and winning 2-0 v Pompey before I payed my tenner watch on ifollow so I think I'll give my season ticket to someone else and stay away .

To be fair we were comfortably the better side, hit the post early doors and that was with a strike force of Mipo and Massey!

We should be a different attacking proposition Saturday with Ellis, Wilson, Taylor and Proctor that missed that game.

Pressure isn't as great after the weekend as it could of been had results gone the other way and it had narrowed to 7 points so hopefully we relax and play our game, regardless of being virtually safe I would want us to hit 50 points minimum, it would still be poor if we stayed up on less points than we went down with last time.

We never seem to keep goals out when Garrity is out so hopefully his return and our upturn in scoring see's us win this one by a couple of goals. 

1 hour ago, Vale 1971 said:

No guarantees though .

Mipo and Gavin Massey our forward line that day, with Cambridge playing their third choice/youth team keeper, we were far from dominant but still the better team on the day and a fair result (my Cambridge work colleagues’ view not mine).

We’ll probably only have 3 or perhaps 4 of the team that played then available to play this Saturday so can really only go on our and their recent performances as an indicator.    Burton apart, our performances in the main have been pretty good in recent weeks and perhaps warranted a better return in points, which may come on Saturday.

UTV

Last game, Ojo showed that he has the smartest brain in the team. Amazing goal. Absolute must starter. As with the rest Smith, Worall, Willow, Benning did blouddy well as well. Stone, again, best game in a Vale shirt for me at Pompey. Tough after last week.

I will go 3-1 Vale this week.

6,725 folks.

324 away.

23 hours ago, PVFC764 said:

We are at home.  Cambridge 5 loses and 1 draw.  We had a good game against Portsmouth.

The league position says we should win this.  However, we all know what happens after a good performance, the next game is a night mare performance.  If the usual Vale team turn up after a good game, then the ever giving Vale will give Cambridge the 3 points down to a lack lustre performance from the players.  Poor midfield and defending allowing them 2 shots on goal and 2 goals.  Our forwards will have loads of shots on goal and not put it in the net.

Please Vale, prove us wrong and take the 3 points we all know the good Vale team are easily capable of.

If past behaviour is a prediction of future behavior, we'll either lose or scrape an ugly 1-0 victory. 

I just watched the ROI manager. He's taking confidence from them beating Latvia and Malta ahead of playing France. He thinks they can go out and express themselves - what I would characterise as go head to head. So in my view he's making a gross misjudgement. 

The right judgement for PV v Cambridge is to be confident and play on the front foot. Cambridge are second bottom and we have a better team. But it's important to factor in they are in last chance saloon and teams like them often climb to safety surprisingly with a seige mentality. Hence we need to be positive, respectful and properly committed. Most of all don't give away daft goals and take chances calmly. 

26 minutes ago, Osh said:

I heard on Ale & Vale pod that Garrett and Forrester are in training and possibly available for selection this weekend. 

Should have a full squad to chose from. 

DC said in his interview after the game at the weekend, Forrester just missed out... could be cloak and daggers of course!

8 hours ago, Osh said:

I heard on Ale & Vale pod that Garrett and Forrester are in training and possibly available for selection this weekend. 

Should have a full squad to chose from. 

Whether those 2 make it or not,  Cass and Jones are out so we definitely won't have a full squad to choose from. 

Archived