onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New Pitch ?

Trumpingtonvale

38 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
9 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:
Probably means a “proper job” rather than just remedial work, which we get every summer in some way, shape or form.  Obviously we have bigger priorities.  New scoreboard being one by the sounds of it.

The scoreboard no longer works fully,is a viewing obstruction, and part of the away end change.

I think the idea was to replace the scoreboard anyway as part of the home end switch.  The fact that it’s broken down, again, just reinforces this.  It’s had more lives than a cat.  

Advert

I think the idea was to replace the scoreboard anyway as part of the home end switch.  The fact that it’s broken down, again, just reinforces this.  It’s had more lives than a cat.  
Be ideal to have it either up the corner between the lorne Street and the hamil or where the family stand is. Not in the way and visable to 95% of the ground.

2 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
44 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Be ideal to have it either up the corner between the lorne Street and the hamil or where the family stand is. Not in the way and visable to 95% of the ground.

I've posted on here before about where I think the scoreboards (plural) should sit.

I think the ideal locations are the old family stand (Railway/Bycars corner) and the Lorne/Hamil corner. Having two there would mean everyone in the ground would be able to easily see a scoreboard. 

However, I think they will rightly be lower priority as I'd imagine it's a big outlay to install two modern scoreboard and there are probably more urgent things to be fixed around the ground first.

I've posted on here before about where I think the scoreboards (plural) should sit.
I think the ideal locations are the old family stand (Railway/Bycars corner) and the Lorne/Hamil corner. Having two there would mean everyone in the ground would be able to easily see a scoreboard. 
However, I think they will rightly be lower priority as I'd imagine it's a big outlay to install two modern scoreboard and there are probably more urgent things to be fixed around the ground first.
I got the impression from last night (reading the Q&A as I wasn't there) that scoreboard(s) will be done this year as part of moving ends, with the pitch taking 3 years to sort.

When a pie was pie, beer was cheap. Happy days 🙂 Even the bovril was better. 

On a serious note the ground has come on leaps and bounds, but it is a massive ask, perhaps we should apply for Grade 2 listed status.

Balancing the finances is more important. Ask Bolton, Derby etc nice grounds no money to sustain PL football and ended up in Lg 1. 

In my 40 odd years watching the Vale, its the fans that make it. On the pitch I have seen great players, most of those moved, to further their careers. The ones that stayed or came to a vibrant club, gave happy memories. 

The pitch though is no worse than when we beat Spurs.  UTV 

On a serious note the ground has come on leaps and bounds, but it is a massive ask, perhaps we should apply for Grade 2 listed status.

That's not a bad idea, but might limit what we can do to improve the stadium. Isn't there such a thing as "asset of community importance" or words to that affect?

22 minutes ago, Smugsy said:

I doubt a new scoreboard will be up and running for the switch of ends next season judging by the answer Patrick Shanahan gave last night. Ring girls holding up the score was suggested. Any volunteers?

Saving money by simply not having a scoreboard might be a wise move , I dont think I would miss it , and not much revenue is raised by a few birthday messages . 

14 minutes ago, Smallthorne clampet said:

Saving money by simply not having a scoreboard might be a wise move , I dont think I would miss it , and not much revenue is raised by a few birthday messages . 

I think there would be more commercial revenue if it was one (or two) larger screens with colour resolution and in more prominent positions (and it's then potentially a new revenue stream). However, even then... I'd agree it would still potentially take a long time for the advertising revenue to recoup the installation costs. I do think it should be fairly low down the list of priorities unless the club feel that it can recoup its costs and start making money fairly quickly.

1 minute ago, robf said:

I think there would be more commercial revenue if it was one (or two) larger screens with colour resolution and in more prominent positions (and it's then potentially a new revenue stream). However, even then... I'd agree it would still potentially take a long time for the advertising revenue to recoup the installation costs. I do think it should be fairly low down the list of priorities.

Rob you must have a pic of the old scoreboard between the Hamil and Lorne Street, when you needed a programme to check the half time scores. 

We could go retro and do it that way 🙂 

15 minutes ago, ginginator said:

Rob you must have a pic of the old scoreboard between the Hamil and Lorne Street, when you needed a programme to check the half time scores. 

We could go retro and do it that way 🙂 

Or get the Sentinel to produce a HT score edition for the Lorne St to read as they used to.

In all seriousness, do we actually need a scoreboard? Unless it generates a decent source of advertising revenue, don't really see the need to even replace the existing one. It's not like anybody can struggle to keep count of the goals for and against!

19 minutes ago, philmpv said:

In all seriousness, do we actually need a scoreboard? Unless it generates a decent source of advertising revenue, don't really see the need to even replace the existing one. It's not like anybody can struggle to keep count of the goals for and against!

Remember when the Lorne Street clock was broken, you will have a rebellion on your hands 

Maybe the answer is to get rid of the scoreboard all together. I mean the one we've got now has been a shambles for as long as I can remember, time freezing, score wrong, recently just half a screen with the top part not working at all. Probably save a bit of money on the electricity by binning it too.

The scoreboard and LED screen pitch side hoardings feature for clubs even in the conference. 

They do make money. Oxford stuck a brand new big scoreboard behind the goal for the Arsenal game purely because the adverts from that one fixture made it worthwhile. 

Even Smurfwaite knew the value of a working scoreboard as it was one of the first things done under the brief glory period with Wiles. 

For years under valiant 2001 it was bust. 

Archived