onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

New Pitch ?

Trumpingtonvale

31 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

The scoreboard and LED screen pitch side hoardings feature for clubs even in the conference. 

They do make money. Oxford stuck a brand new big scoreboard behind the goal for the Arsenal game purely because the adverts from that one fixture made it worthwhile. 

Even Smurfwaite knew the value of a working scoreboard as it was one of the first things done under the brief glory period with Wiles. 

For years under valiant 2001 it was bust. 

I guess that's the thing - it's ultimately down to the club to do the sums and work out if it is a money spinner or not.

Without knowing the finer details of how much to install and run versus the advertising revenue  I think it's impossible for us on the outside to tell.

Then I guess it's a simple decision for the club - if it brings in (or will bring in) a profit it goes up the list, if it doesn't it drops down the list.

Advert

If I contemplate clubs that have changed their truly awful pitches, has it helped them?

I know one intimately because of where I live - Tranmere. They sorted out "the sandpit". But they're not in the Championship again and indeed fancy a move to the docklands regeneration area on the Wirral to upgrade to a new Championship ready stadium. So the pitch is fixed at the level they've plied their trade for the last 20 plus years - L1, L2 and NL. 

Then there is Accrington. A dire pitch got a big investment and they're happy with it. They've improved the stadium as well and performing extraordinarily to stay at at L1 level for years. It's difficult to conclude with them. I argue they have a canny long term manager who makes things work and he would put out an effective team suited to any surface. 

Does a better surface lead to a better game? I thought the Wembley game last season showed we were a much better team than we had looked on our own pitch. But that was a one off game with exceptional motivation. 

Conclusion - improve the pitch if the owners can structure a good financial arrangement. But don't destabilise the finances and risk crashing down the league tables. 

1 hour ago, robf said:

I think there would be more commercial revenue if it was one (or two) larger screens with colour resolution and in more prominent positions (and it's then potentially a new revenue stream). However, even then... I'd agree it would still potentially take a long time for the advertising revenue to recoup the installation costs. I do think it should be fairly low down the list of priorities unless the club feel that it can recoup its costs and start making money fairly quickly.

Getting a sponsor for a new scoreboard would easily cover the outlay

14 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Getting a sponsor for a new scoreboard would easily cover the outlay

The fourth officials board sponsored by Wright's Pies is raised to show a Port Vale sub etc. I guess with a scoreboard it has to be in situ advertising since the scoreboard isn't an active participant in the game. 

If the Port Vale scoreboard isn't correct - as it often isn't at Vale Park - will that reflect badly on the sponsor!

Regards the electronic advertising boards around the pitch I was speaking with a guy at the old Trafford test match who worked for the company that supplied them to Lancashire CCC, for the test match.  He said they lease to a number of EFL teams too, some on a season basis and some on a match by match basis depending on if games are televised (live) or not etc.  As Rob says I’m sure the club will crunch the numbers and if the ROI is acceptable they will install a scoreboard and/or these hoardings accordingly.

8 hours ago, robf said:

I've posted on here before about where I think the scoreboards (plural) should sit.

I think the ideal locations are the old family stand (Railway/Bycars corner) and the Lorne/Hamil corner. Having two there would mean everyone in the ground would be able to easily see a scoreboard. 

However, I think they will rightly be lower priority as I'd imagine it's a big outlay to install two modern scoreboard and there are probably more urgent things to be fixed around the ground first.

It’s not lower priority, they’re doing it as part of the home end switch.  Quite clear from the meeting it’ll be done in the very short term.  The current scoreboard is totally goosed anyway so it’ll need replacing even if there was no end switch.

Archived