Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Whoever is in goal, I hope we've got something like the Forest keeper had last night in case it goes to penalties.
FS_mkL6X0AAWuAE?format=jpg&name=900x900
Our penalty history hasn't been written yet.

Advert:

4 hours ago, Osh said:

And Man City, Man Utd, Liverpool, Everton and all the teams in and around Birmingham, too.

Well said m8

Agreed. Although that’s part of the wider debate as to why no South West club has ever really managed to break through in the top flight in recent years. The Potteries has always been a football area. Yet you’d think the Bristol clubs, Swindon, Plymouth etc would get big crowds due to big catchment areas. 

Biggest surprise is how many big North West clubs so close to each other have managed to survive for so long with big attendances. Blackpool, Preston, Bolton, Oldham, Wigan, Blackburn, Burnley etc etc all managing to have done well at some point despite the even bigger boys in Manchester and Liverpool. 

The potteries is a bit more distinct and outside that North West bubble at a reasonable distance from all those other clubs, yet they thrive.

18 minutes ago, sheffield61 said:

At 61  I am old enough to recall many memories of the Vale since my first game circa 1976. What I will say now is that should we qualify or NOT tomorrow is that we have and ARE totally transformed today. We ALL owe the new owners an enormous debt of gratitude and I thank them both........🥰

Totally agree,but also feel that get through or not,we threw points away weeks back and didn't show control when we needed it. That means that I won't be shattered if we fail as I don't think we were good enough to be an automatic promotion side...if we go up it would be a massive bonus. Is that a fair point of view?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

Totally agree,but also feel that get through or not,we threw points away weeks back and didn't show control when we needed it. That means that I won't be shattered if we fail as I don't think we were good enough to be an automatic promotion side...if we go up it would be a massive bonus. Is that a fair point of view?

I agree too. I'll be disappointed if we don't go up, but in context, it's been an excellent season.

Years of decline, culminating in the Smurthwaite destruction was always going to take some recovering.

To be where we are now is nothing short of miraculous.

• Like 5

Advert:

13 minutes ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

I think Northampton will turn this around 2nd half.

Not shown anything 1st half.  I know that it's nervy but I hope that there's more of an atmosphere tomorrow at Vale Park.

Advert:

Well 80 points would have got Northampton promoted automatically in the previous 3 seasons, beaten on goals on the last day of the season, then had to endure that bizarre offside-onside goal. And they were 5 points off being champions (due to goal difference), but no cigar.

football eh

Though the ref had a really bad game tonight. Tough on Northampton Wallace should have walked, O'tool should have been booked 5 minutes before he got a yellow, Quinn fouled off the ball and could have walked. They also had 3 50% penalty shouts where you might expect to get at least 1 given. Been a tough season for them.

8 minutes ago, wotsyobeef said:

Though the ref had a really bad game tonight. Tough on Northampton Wallace should have walked, O'tool should have been booked 5 minutes before he got a yellow, Quinn fouled off the ball and could have walked. They also had 3 50% penalty shouts where you might expect to get at least 1 given. Been a tough season for them.

Thought the ref tonight was excellent let the game flow got the penalty decisions right wish he was reffing us tomorrow night 

Advert:

53 minutes ago, Aguar61 said:

If ever there was a match that needed a strong, capable and anti-cheating referee then this is it... Please,give us a homer...🙂👍

We've got the ref who did our 3-0 home game vs Colchester.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Smugsy said:

5 ties done and no team has yet turned around a first leg deficit. Yet.

In a way that gives me a bit of confidence. It can’t happen in every tie.

Also hopefully that’s the refereeing shocker out of the way. 

Edited by Santa
  • Like 1