• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

Advert:

1 minute ago, Clayts said:

really struggling to focus on work (as is probably obvious from the fact I'm on here!

I'm also clearly working really hard at the moment... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, robf said:

I'm also clearly working really hard at the moment... :whistling:

Me too, listening to the Ale & Vale Podcast, Vale Park Playlist after, WhatsApping loads of folks, checking FB and on here.

Getting collected at 3.30 from Stafford, Bulls at 4'ish all being well.

Edited by NellyTheValiant

Thought I would make a return on here to try and help settle my nerves!

If we turn up tonight I think we beat these. Wasn’t impressed by them on Sunday, for how poor we were 60 minutes they didn’t really create too much. The goals were more our own doing. 

No idea where this arrogance from them has emerged from either. So much material for DC to get the lads motivated for tonight. I just hope we don’t get too fired up and get an early red. For me we have missed Walker and looked a shadow of the side we were with him, Pett has to turn up tonight - been disappointed with him for a while now. 

Id start the side that finished the game on Sunday, Benning has to play and Taylor is a must for me over Charsley. Only other thing I would contemplate would be to start Edmonson and Proctor up top with Wilson behind him. 

2-0 vale

• Like 1

Siiigh......conner make it from France today but already looking at flights for the next step, hopefully!

Safe travels to all Valiants getting to VP for tonight. I will be watching on some dodgy stream hoping and praying...not praying really but might do if it goes to pennos!

• Like 1

Advert:

Some really committed fans here, excellent. The lengths all footy fans go to not just Vale is worth it for the good days. Hopefully you all rewarded tonight.

I remember having a WEEK off sick so i could go to Cardiff and Brighton when we clinched promotion. Only counted as one absence.

Luckily i wasn't on the telly doing a promotion jig on the pitch at the Goldstone ground soaked wet through. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

If we turn up tonight I think we beat these. Wasn’t impressed by them on Sunday, for how poor we were 60 minutes they didn’t really create too much. The goals were more our own doing. 

No idea where this arrogance from them has emerged from either. So much material for DC to get the lads motivated for tonight. I just hope we don’t get too fired up and get an early red. For me we have missed Walker and looked a shadow of the side we were with him, Pett has to turn up tonight - been disappointed with him for a while now. 

Id start the side that finished the game on Sunday, Benning has to play and Taylor is a must for me over Charsley. Only other thing I would contemplate would be to start Edmonson and Proctor up top with Wilson behind him. 

2-0 vale

Welcome back thought hadn't seen you for a while. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Theyt leaving it a bit late aren't thee? Could be cutting that a bit fine.....????🤣

You could be right Clint.3pm it is.😂

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

For me we have missed Walker and looked a shadow of the side we were with him

My thoughts exactly. It's a pity if he is missing today (would be great to see him in the squad) as he gives us height and power in midfield as well as another attacking option with his passing. Stats-wise we were unbeaten in seven with him in the midfield, winning six of them and drawing the other. But if he's not fit I hope one of the others will step up.

• Like 1

Advert:

19 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

2-0 vale

I think Proctor will be on the bench to start with but I agree on Edmonson or even Harratt or Amoo?  It ain’t going to be easy, we just need to prevent an early goal for them

29 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

good see you back mate 👍

not sure this is the right place for calming your nerves though 😂😂😂😂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Are we going put Jones on the bench where the hell is he .
Is long throws work a treat versus these .
He misses a golden chance v BR and not seen since when other defenders cock up virtually every game .
Our best football was when him and Cass in the side but he constantly been overlooked .
Use everything in your armoury Vale

18 minutes ago, robf said:

My thoughts exactly. It's a pity if he is missing today (would be great to see him in the squad) as he gives us height and power in midfield as well as another attacking option with his passing. Stats-wise we were unbeaten in seven with him in the midfield, winning six of them and drawing the other. But if he's not fit I hope one of the others will step up.

The club has kept (rightly) very quiet about Wakler’s injury but if it is a grade three hamstring tear, I doubt he can play?

I think Jones is injured unfortunately. If he was fit I'd have him on the bench in place of Robinson as his throw could be useful. 

I wonder if Harratt is worth a start in place of Edmondson? I know Ryan has bags of energy and I personally feel he has good potential but Harratt has that goal poacher's mentality and looks to be able to snatch a goal from nowhere. Then again, I don't see the players on the training ground like the management do.

Advert:

I think Jones is injured unfortunately. If he was fit I'd have him on the bench in place of Robinson as his throw could be useful. 
I wonder if Harratt is worth a start in place of Edmondson? I know Ryan has bags of energy and I personally feel he has good potential but Harratt has that goal poacher's mentality and looks to be able to snatch a goal from nowhere. Then again, I don't see the players on the training ground like the management do.
I think Edmondson is the better all round team player the work he does his excellent Kian is a poacher but needs to be fed around the box as he will not link the play ,I think a great option have last 15 if winning 1-0 because JP if on top of his game will create for others with his unselfish teamwork play and kian may just be the lad who has that golden chance send us to Wembley in the 89th minute .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clayts said:

In the office at 7am, so I can log off for the day when I leave to pick the kids up from school at 3, then it's a quick change, grab some stuff and straight on the train from Brum to Stoke, taxi to the folks, walk to VP, hope the turnstile queues aren't too ridiculous!

Nerves building already, really struggling to focus on work (as is probably obvious from the fact I'm on here!), excitement and dread in equal measure.

Good luck and safe journeys to all the travelling faithful, see you there. UTV!

Cambridge.  Just clocked-off too after an early start though was about as productive as a Vale long throw this morning.  Will be on the road shortly have booked hotel/B&B tonight and the day off for tomorrow - I may have a drink induced headache* in the morning  

*hoping it’s a celebratory rather than drowning my sorrows one

UTV

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Proctor has to start. Ball sticks up front and he will shoot on sight. Aerial presence, makes Wilson a better player, and links things up. Our midfield is too limited technically (if Charsley starts over Taylor) to pay a patient build up play. We need to be fairly direct, into the feet of the forwards with the wing-backs wide. Heavy-metal football.

Start strong with the Jims up top, get goals, then lob on the fresh legs of Harratt/Edmonson/Amoo late on to press, stretch their back line, and see out the win. Do not start with a young lad with no experience in a massive game and then put on your best striker when desperate after 60.

I don't want to be chasing the game into the 2nd half. Fans will get tense. Players will panic. We'll start 'forcing it'. We'll get picked off. There's a reason their away form is so good - they'll do us on the break. We simply can't have Aaron Martin 1v1 on the counter. Finished and done out. I don't mind him but his turning speed is glacial.

Start quick and strong. Press the life out of them. They've got a certain fragility about their backline. The fans simply have to be at it. Booing when they have possession. No silly 'on a bender' chants. If the atmosphere is limp tonight then we'll have to concede we're nowhere near the fanbase we sometimes profess to be. I'm not one to blame fans but if I'm sat there, bored, 15 minutes in, then there's a serious issue.

I honestly think this game will be won or lost in the opening 20. Score inside that timeframe and we go through. Start slow and I think we get desperate, Clarke lobs all of his forwards on in daft positions, and they nail us on the counter.

Edited by Joe B