• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Match Thread: POS2 Port Vale v Swindon Town

2 hours ago, Trevor Hankey said:

Another Leicestershire, retired, ex Biddulph, going early look round my old stamping ground,then to vale park soak up the atmosphere for what we all hope is going to be a memorable night UTV

Same here live in Leicestershire will be loggin off work at 5pm as WFH will be jumping straight in the car and heading to vale park.

• Like 3

Advert:

3 hours ago, robf said:

Just wondering how everybody's holding up ahead of the game?

Due to my location (it normally takes about two and a half hours anyhow) and concerns about motorway rush hour delays my journey to Burslem is starting pretty early at around 1.30pm this afternoon. Can't wait to get in the car and begin.

Anybody else travelling from outside the area to the game? 

Family emergency stops me and my daughter being there, but will be listening to the game via iFollow.  

Getting more nervous as the hours tick by.  Please Vale, let the Vale team we know you can be turn up and beat these arrogant staff and some of the players who have voiced their arrogant views.  Other players are probably thinking, what the hell did they write or say that - that's cringe worthy.

Safe journey to all the fans making the long journeys, wish I was doing the same.

• Like 5

Advert:

1 hour ago, PVFC764 said:

Family emergency stops me and my daughter being there, but will be listening to the game via iFollow.  

Getting more nervous as the hours tick by.  Please Vale, let the Vale team we know you can be turn up and beat these arrogant staff and some of the players who have voiced their arrogant views.  Other players are probably thinking, what the hell did they write or say that - that's cringe worthy.

Safe journey to all the fans making the long journeys, wish I was doing the same.

Hope everything's alright.

• Like 2

I am chilled leave Westbury Park at 18.30 ,up to mother Town after picking lad and nephew up from Silverdale and Talke respectively then quick pre match pint before heading into the hamil first time since legends game Port Vale 8 Stoke City 0 (not bad that lol ).
Looking forwards to it we have enough talent in our side absolute thrash these however defensively people need to concentrate .
Team is irrelevant pick players who believe they are going win do not pick players who are seeing out there contracts and play like they do not give 2 hoots because we do we care deeply I've hardly slept this week bet others the same stressed about if they going sell the tickets stressed about how they going perform well PERFORM .
DC deserves this and our Carol the reason why 12 thousand are defo going be there tonight (hopefully 13/500)deserves this .
Do not be nervous Vale fans (or whatever club you usually support )get behind the club sing make your feelings known throughout do not sit there quietly you not helping .
WE ALL VALE aren't we

• Like 4

Advert:

49 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I've not been massively nervous in recent weeks. I'd go into my typical 'expect the worse' mode which has protected me well as a Vale fan. I've just been expecting things to go wrong to mitigate the blow when they do. It's worked a charm to this point.

I've sat here at lunch and genuinely considered the impact of promotion this season, of how starved of success we've been, how close it is, of how I'm sick and tired of being rinsed for supporting Vale, and how much I really, really don't want to be in League 2 next season. 

Tonight's the game with the most riding on it since the Chesterfield game in which loss equalled non-league. Go through tonight and I think we can deal with Mansfield. If we go up, it transforms the club, allowing Carol to sort out the ground and invest in the burgeoning infrastructure. We could enter a proper 'new era', away from this tinpot abyss, welcoming big clubs every other week and get money flowing back into Burslem. The 1k+ Junior Valiants see success early doors, locking down their attachment to the club and dragging parents into the club shop in July. Robbie celebrates Vale promotion at his homecoming concert and Those Tricky Whites are back. Rudge gets his statue and we start to enjoy some of the days we haven't seen since his zenith. Lorne Street gets finished and we finally move on from the last edifice of the Port Vale banter years. We leapfrog Crewe, leave Walsall in the dust, and can focus on hunting down our actual rivals for the time in a while.

Don't get it done, and there's absolutely no guarantees next season. Another season of low revenues and disastrous away followings. Dog's abuse on whatsapp tonight. Walsall, Crewe, Stoke, gleeful that we've bottled it. Swindon fans holding their attendance trophy aloft. McKirdy machine-gunning the Railway as grown men sob. We start from scratch in what will probably be a more competitive league. Whilst we will be in a good position to get it done, football is too volatile and random, and there's just as much chance we fall short once more. 

It's much better to be in a 'positive pressure' game than the existential battles Smurthwaite seemed to enjoy, but I'm not enjoying myself at present. I'm sure when the dust settles some of us may be able to sanguinely say it's been a 'good season', but it really, really won't feel like it if Carol isn't on the Wembley pitch next Saturday. I accept that I get a bit intense with it all sometimes, and some berate me for 'wanting it now', but I've been wanting it for 20 years and I'm done with waiting. 

The fans who have stoically stuck by this basket-case of a club, at great expense and misery, in the darkest days deserve promotion. There was a small group of fans who sacrificed a great deal to rid of previous shackles, and I keep thinking of one of them who is no longer with us, and how committed he was to bringing about the sort of success we're very close to achieving.

ffs. Bricking it now. Into these.

Bloody hell Joe, that last paragraph has done me.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I've not been massively nervous in recent weeks. I'd go into my typical 'expect the worse' mode which has protected me well as a Vale fan. I've just been expecting things to go wrong to mitigate the blow when they do. It's worked a charm to this point.

I've sat here at lunch and genuinely considered the impact of promotion this season, of how starved of success we've been, how close it is, of how I'm sick and tired of being rinsed for supporting Vale, and how much I really, really don't want to be in League 2 next season. 

Tonight's the game with the most riding on it since the Chesterfield game in which loss equalled non-league. Go through tonight and I think we can deal with Mansfield. If we go up, it transforms the club, allowing Carol to sort out the ground and invest in the burgeoning infrastructure. We could enter a proper 'new era', away from this tinpot abyss, welcoming big clubs every other week and get money flowing back into Burslem. The 1k+ Junior Valiants see success early doors, locking down their attachment to the club and dragging parents into the club shop in July. Robbie celebrates Vale promotion at his homecoming concert and Those Tricky Whites are back. Rudge gets his statue and we start to enjoy some of the days we haven't seen since his zenith. Lorne Street gets finished and we finally move on from the last edifice of the Port Vale banter years. We leapfrog Crewe, leave Walsall in the dust, and can focus on hunting down our actual rivals for the time in a while.

Don't get it done, and there's absolutely no guarantees next season. Another season of low revenues and disastrous away followings. Dog's abuse on whatsapp tonight. Walsall, Crewe, Stoke, gleeful that we've bottled it. Swindon fans holding their attendance trophy aloft. McKirdy machine-gunning the Railway as grown men sob. We start from scratch in what will probably be a more competitive league. Whilst we will be in a good position to get it done, football is too volatile and random, and there's just as much chance we fall short once more. 

It's much better to be in a 'positive pressure' game than the existential battles Smurthwaite seemed to enjoy, but I'm not enjoying myself at present. I'm sure when the dust settles some of us may be able to sanguinely say it's been a 'good season', but it really, really won't feel like it if Carol isn't on the Wembley pitch next Saturday. I accept that I get a bit intense with it all sometimes, and some berate me for 'wanting it now', but I've been wanting it for 20 years and I'm done with waiting. 

The fans who have stoically stuck by this basket-case of a club, at great expense and misery, in the darkest days deserve promotion. There was a small group of fans who sacrificed a great deal to rid us of previous shackles, and I keep thinking of one of them who is no longer with us, and how committed he was to bringing about the sort of success we're very close to achieving.

Top post as always Joe.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Mellor! said:

Bloody hell Joe, that last paragraph has done me.

He's up on the wall at VP. He'll be watching tonight. Might dig out the B&G scarf.

Mike painting.jpeg

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 7

Advert:

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

The fans who have stoically stuck by this basket-case of a club, at great expense and misery, in the darkest days deserve promotion. There was a small group of fans who sacrificed a great deal to rid of previous shackles, and I keep thinking of one of them who is no longer with us, and how committed he was to bringing about the sort of success we're very close to achieving.

A lovely piece of writing.

• Like 2

Just now, ollyandpatch said:

Leaving Sunny Silverdale at 6.15 for the torturous journey through Knutton, Milehouse, May Bank and Porthill.

Weather set for a typical end of season classic.

From memory we did once beat Swindon 6-1 the last home game of the season in the 60s, now would that not be great.

• Like 1