onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

2 hours ago, 1 said:

There's players running on less than empty, to the point of running themselves into the ground. There's no way that Wilson and Proctor have been playing the minutes that are best for them. I would play Hussey and Benning on the flanks and try and keep a defensive shape, because we have looked so poor going forward while also being exposed defensively. Gibbons obviously is an option, but who knows what shape he'll be in. I don't mind playing Gibbo from the start if he's up to it, now is the time to do something.

Benning is completely ineffective down the right, as Hussey would be, so it’s between those 2 for the LWB slot, then either Wozz, Edmonson or Gibbo at RWB.  There’s a good break before this next game so maybe Gibbo will be available, but if he was anywhere near fit last Saturday he’d have been on as a late sub.  As it was we bought Edmonson on, busting a gut but playing out of position.

At the moment we need 6 points so it’s a gamble.  LWB either Benning, poor on Saturday but, prior, has been decent going forward, or Hussey, who’s stronger defensively and probably the best set piece taker of the available players.  RWB Wozz, who’s lost a bit of form and doesn’t look fully fit to me, or Gibbo, not played for weeks but we know what he brings to the team.

Advert

31 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Isn’t running on empty and leggy pretty much the same thing?

So pressure was the only reason we lost? I don’t think so. 2 defensive mistakes cost us. First goal the players should have pushed up out of the 6 yard box as soon as the ball got played backwards to set their lad for the cross, (very similar to Bristol’s second goal last week).  Second goal and Martin sells himself and dives in.

With the few chances we did muster, Proctor should have done better when he was set on the edge of the box first half. Garrity should have had a shot second half in his left when he got free and decided to square it instead.  No one was following in Husseys free kick when it landed in the 6 yard box late on. 

Poor performance aside it’s fine margins that lose you games, they took their chances from our mistakes and we didn’t make anything in the areas where we could have done better. 

I was using quotes that appear on here and when players struggle to handle the pressure they make mistakes like you’ve said 

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

I was using quotes that appear on here and when players struggle to handle the pressure they make mistakes like you’ve said 

I didn’t actually say that. But are they also struggling to handle the pressure when they make mistakes early on in the season? 

Wandered (stalked) past the training ground yesterday walking the dog, team weren't around except Gibbo doing a shitload of running routines on the pitch with the fitness coach. If he’s fit I’d start him against Newport, we need someone more direct with the energy and passion that he shows to lift the team and crowd. 

1 hour ago, Davo666 said:

To give us the best chance in the playoffs we need Exeter and The Gas to achieve automatic promotion !!

I would still take a draw in the Exeter/Barrow game tonight though. Although it's very unlikely Barrow will get anything such is the need for Exeter to win. If Exeter dont win the pressure is really on them to get something at Northampton and against vale.

5 hours ago, fraggle said:

Don’t play players that have niggles, need people to 100% honest that they are 100% fit, the last few games and there are too many that just don’t look at the races…..

Is it fitness? It is mindset? Do they not have the steel for the big games? Too concerned about losing? Some playing out their contracts and now not wanting to get injured?

Who knows…. But something has to change, not just for the next 2 games, but we need momentum going into any likely play off battle.

We need to tighten our shape when we don’t have the ball, it’s too easy for teams to cross a ball, knock the ball around the back 3/5…. We have to be hungry to stop a team getting into the final 3rd and all over the pitch!

Where’s the rally cry, where’s the heart? Come on…. UTV

That's the problem when u have 2 attacking players in the wing back roles we need at least one more defensive minded player like gibbo or Hussey and so they can cover for when one of our centre halfs decide to venture into midfield. To many times we getting court on the counter attack leaving 2 on 2, teams are working us out so we gonna have to change something either the personal or the system.  If we dont sort the shape out we got no chance come to the play offs we will get picked off against good teams. I dont agree we have bottled it I think we being found out ang getting killed on the break. The walsall performance away was probably better than the home performance which suggests we just struggle to play against that team. But if teams think they can sit in with a back 5 and hit us on the break and we dont change something we wont get another point this season. We have been found out and now the management are going to have to sort it or it could be to late.

21 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

I would still take a draw in the Exeter/Barrow game tonight

Exactly that. The dream scenario for us would be a draw or loss for Exeter tonight leaving them needing to beat Northampton to get promotion. Hopefully they would then do it and then kindly step off the gas for their promotion party game against us.

This is a very slight hope to hang on to but I did read in their local press that they haven't sealed promotion at a home game for yonks so hopefully that run will continue tonight and they'll seal it at Northampton instead.

4 hours ago, Davo666 said:

To give us the best chance in the playoffs we need Exeter and The Gas to achieve automatic promotion !!

I’m as guilty as the next man for thinking this way but as things stand the fat lady is just clearing her throat.  Who knows how it’ll all turn out?  We’ll certainly have a better idea after tonight.  Most of the teams who’ve got themselves into the automatic places have suffered a hiccup so let’s see what happens to Grecians and Cobblers, there’s still time for them to balls it up.  If, and it’s a big if, we go into the last game both teams needing a win then so be it.  It’s then a one off and anything could happen.  Equally the playoffs are pretty much a lottery and we’ weren’t mathematically assured of a place last time I looked.

Guest Vale at home
3 hours ago, robf said:

Exactly that. The dream scenario for us would be a draw or loss for Exeter tonight leaving them needing to beat Northampton to get promotion. Hopefully they would then do it and then kindly step off the gas for their promotion party game against us.

This is a very slight hope to hang on to but I did read in their local press that they haven't sealed promotion at a home game for yonks so hopefully that run will continue tonight and they'll seal it at Northampton instead.

It would be Brilliant if   Exeter don’t win tonight . That would give The Vale a chance . 

2 hours ago, Vale at home said:

It would be Brilliant if   Exeter don’t win tonight . That would give The Vale a chance . 

It would put automatic promotion back in our own hands as Northampton and Exeter both can’t win their game against each other. But Exeter will win tonight... Barrow fan tonight though!!! Gwarn Robbie Gotts!!

Exeter draw or defeat and FGR win would be ideal tonight.

Would effectively end Exeter’s chances of the title and would leave them needing a point on Saturday against Northampton to go up.

Sadly I suspect the opposite is more likely and such opens up the danger of us going to Exeter playing a side who need a win for the title.

All of course irrelevant if we don’t take care of our own result on Monday. At least we will know the situation going into the game.

Archived