onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

28 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

I totally agree about the criticism I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing coming out of the ground against Bristol Rovers. Bristol are a decent side in this league,  played in league one last season and they did a job on us like we have done to many teams this season. Again I think for alot of people it's the fact we are in league 2 every defeat gets scrutinised no matter who we play or where we are in the league table as fans we think we have a defined right to be in the top half of league one/championship. But then so do the fans of Bradford, Brizzle, Swindon etc. If you look at the last 2 performances they weren't much different to the perfornances in the games we have won recently the only difference poor defending. I spoke to some who went to hartlepool we were poor first half but still managed to win the game and defended well.

Spot on.

I could name the person who went way overboard when I dared to criticise his opinion.

Bottom line is that the team have massively overachieved this season.

No one expected us to be where we are. We've had our share of injuries,tragedy,loss of form etc,but we're still in with a chance of automatic promotion and I'd take that.

Hopefully we can win on Monday to take us to 78 points and see where we are

Advert

I think the extra two days off is a positive because we looked knackered on Saturday. Gibbo comes in for me even if he can only do an hour. Dunno what's going on with Worrall recently but he's not right. Seems to have lost half a yard of pace as well to me and doesn't seem to want to go past his man.

Taylor for Charsley isn't a bad shout either. Gets a bit more creativity on the pitch. Maybe even Hussey for Benning for his set pieces. Corners have been dreadful in the last two games.

20 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

I think the extra two days off is a positive because we looked knackered on Saturday. Gibbo comes in for me even if he can only do an hour. Dunno what's going on with Worrall recently but he's not right. Seems to have lost half a yard of pace as well to me and doesn't seem to want to go past his man.

Taylor for Charsley isn't a bad shout either. Gets a bit more creativity on the pitch. Maybe even Hussey for Benning for his set pieces. Corners have been dreadful in the last two games.

Why are we knackered we on the brink of achieving something and all of a sudden we look leggy if anything how well the players are looked after at the club by Sue Potts and all the people behind the scenes they should be running on sheer happiness alone Happy they are in  a position go up and do the  whole area of Burslem and surrounding areas the world of good plus give the owners the success they deserve .

The only reason why performances have dropped off the cliff is because they are nervous what they nervous of go and do what you being doing before you played Bristol Rovers and got edgy .

I don't get it personally how nerves can get to you at a crucial time of season Northampton and Bristol and Exeter playing there normal games .

VALE DO likewise if they do they are better than all them 3 teams for sure 

UTV 

11 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Why are we knackered we on the brink of achieving something and all of a sudden we look leggy if anything how well the players are looked after at the club by Sue Potts and all the people behind the scenes they should be running on sheer happiness alone Happy they are in  a position go up and do the  whole area of Burslem and surrounding areas the world of good plus give the owners the success they deserve .

The only reason why performances have dropped off the cliff is because they are nervous what they nervous of go and do what you being doing before you played Bristol Rovers and got edgy .

I don't get it personally how nerves can get to you at a crucial time of season Northampton and Bristol and Exeter playing there normal games .

VALE DO likewise if they do they are better than all them 3 teams for sure 

UTV 

You are right it makes me laugh when folk on here say we’re running on empty , the players looked leggy you are right they are looked after brilliantly and given time to recover after games part of the reason we were crap on Saturday was they couldn’t handle the pressure and that don’t bode well for the playoffs 

1 hour ago, Coyney Valiant said:

You are right it makes me laugh when folk on here say we’re running on empty , the players looked leggy you are right they are looked after brilliantly and given time to recover after games part of the reason we were crap on Saturday was they couldn’t handle the pressure and that don’t bode well for the playoffs 

Put it this way if you got 11 Vale fans out the stand on Saturday and you knew that 2300 odd people wanted you win and turned up you be running through the other team and brick walls to get the ball in the Walsall net ,Monday v Bristol Rovers that was a so so result if Jones scores from exquisite Wilson ball through we have momentum I didn't think for one minute they were better than us they spent more time messing about and keeping the ball out of play than doing much and the scoreline did not reflect that pvfc were trying get that equaliser cause they were the scoreline was harsh on Vale in my opinion .

Don’t play players that have niggles, need people to 100% honest that they are 100% fit, the last few games and there are too many that just don’t look at the races…..

Is it fitness? It is mindset? Do they not have the steel for the big games? Too concerned about losing? Some playing out their contracts and now not wanting to get injured?

Who knows…. But something has to change, not just for the next 2 games, but we need momentum going into any likely play off battle.

We need to tighten our shape when we don’t have the ball, it’s too easy for teams to cross a ball, knock the ball around the back 3/5…. We have to be hungry to stop a team getting into the final 3rd and all over the pitch!

Where’s the rally cry, where’s the heart? Come on…. UTV

There's players running on less than empty, to the point of running themselves into the ground. There's no way that Wilson and Proctor have been playing the minutes that are best for them. I would play Hussey and Benning on the flanks and try and keep a defensive shape, because we have looked so poor going forward while also being exposed defensively. Gibbons obviously is an option, but who knows what shape he'll be in. I don't mind playing Gibbo from the start if he's up to it, now is the time to do something.

7 hours ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Directly, Colchester at home Martin's goal was one? I'm not sure if Smith against Scunthorpe may have been 2nd phase from a free kick or corner as well? Garrity at Rochdale was a header too can't recall the build up to it though. 

Garrity was a header from a brilliant ball in by Hussey Corner .

Think thars the last one Rochdale away .

Always surprises me with how good Smith is especially against big meat heads in general play (goal kick etc from opposition )but  how inept he is at attacking the ball from our set pieces in fact I can count on me hand how often he assists or gets a effort on target in a game .

OK the balls in have to be decent but I never get the feeling anyone going score from one we seem lack that real will get on anything .

UTV 

7 minutes ago, Breadwinner said:

Garrity was a header from a brilliant ball in by Hussey Corner .

Think thars the last one Rochdale away .

Always surprises me with how good Smith is especially against big meat heads in general play (goal kick etc from opposition )but  how inept he is at attacking the ball from our set pieces in fact I can count on me hand how often he assists or gets a effort on target in a game .

OK the balls in have to be decent but I never get the feeling anyone going score from one we seem lack that real will get on anything .

UTV 

Sometimes it is about the delivery too . Smith scored a lovely goal at Sutton after a great Proctor cross, nice 50/1 i had that day .

Guthrie the Northampton centre half scored i think his 8th goal the other day and is their joint second top scorer. 

I still joke that we have been garbage at corners since the Mills, Beckford, Earle combinations. 

I'd let Hussey take all our corners myself if not Jamie Proctor would be my taker of them .

So many ways score goals but conceding 7 in 4 games 2/3  in last 2  home games is a major concern as I do not feel the other team as worked hard get the goals we have generally give them away .

V Bristol Rovers could we give that Anderson any more room .

V Oldham we were a shambles defending as a team .

Unless we tighten up we may not even reach the play offs so on Wonder of Vale Facebook I was discussing the team I selected with someone surprise surprise we did not agree but the team I've chosen for this game is because theresa sloppiness about us defensively which has put a whole seasons good work to waste or on the verge to waste  

15 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Isn’t running on empty and leggy pretty much the same thing?

So pressure was the only reason we lost? I don’t think so. 2 defensive mistakes cost us. First goal the players should have pushed up out of the 6 yard box as soon as the ball got played backwards to set their lad for the cross, (very similar to Bristol’s second goal last week).  Second goal and Martin sells himself and dives in.

With the few chances we did muster, Proctor should have done better when he was set on the edge of the box first half. Garrity should have had a shot second half in his left when he got free and decided to square it instead.  No one was following in Husseys free kick when it landed in the 6 yard box late on. 

Poor performance aside it’s fine margins that lose you games, they took their chances from our mistakes and we didn’t make anything in the areas where we could have done better. 

Archived