onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Newport County

Fosse69

4 hours ago, saintvaliant said:

It’s time to ditch the back 3 and go 4 at the back for me.

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Hussey

Pett

Garrity          Taylor

Worall                      Wilson

Proctor

We dont necessarily need to ditch the system just need to be more cautious in pushing that 3rd centre half up the pitch all the time to stop us being picked off on the counter attack. Its difficult I know as we have won many times pushing them up the pitch but teams are sussing it out now and killing us on the break away. I think we might get away with it against Newport but not exeter.

Advert

Think the Northampton game on Saturday will have a big bearing on how our fans are, if they drop points, can expect a great atmosphere and hopefully Vale on the front foot to make amends for yesterday's horror show.  I would be making a few changes and my 11 would be;

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Jones Hussey

Charsley Pett Garrity

Proctor Wilson

We didnt press at all at Walsall, lets go out attacking with Gibbo and Hussey coming in, better delivery from the wide areas, Jones in for the long throws, I know we haven't scored from them but for me, its a weapon that is needed and with Smith, Hall, Garrity and Proctor, no reason why we can't.

1 hour ago, Mellor! said:

Not sure why we didn't just win every game and have the league wrapped up in March. It would have been so much easier.

In fact, surely if the players had put their minds to it and won the first 30 games on the bounce we'd be confirmed champions already?

11 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

Think the Northampton game on Saturday will have a big bearing on how our fans are, if they drop points, can expect a great atmosphere and hopefully Vale on the front foot to make amends for yesterday's horror show.  I would be making a few changes and my 11 would be;

Stone

Gibbo Smith Hall Jones Hussey

Charsley Pett Garrity

Proctor Wilson

We didnt press at all at Walsall, lets go out attacking with Gibbo and Hussey coming in, better delivery from the wide areas, Jones in for the long throws, I know we haven't scored from them but for me, its a weapon that is needed and with Smith, Hall, Garrity and Proctor, no reason why we can't.

I agree totally keep the what's a winning system but maybe put 1 or 2 defensive minded players as wing backs or at least one. What's the point in having Benning out wide doing nothing all game and potentially leaving us exposed, we got to stop the silly mistakes and leaving the back 3 or even 2 at times exposed. Only way we will get back to keeping clean sheets. Our success has been built on our defense we are not suddenly going to become a free scoring team it's to late for that there isnt the goals or creativity in the team.

I couldn't go to the Walsall game because I couldn't queue for a ticket. But against Bristol I was frustrated that our best set piece taker Worrall wasn't doing that and Benning was. OK, if Hussey is on the pitch there may be a contest. 

30 minutes ago, Warren said:

I couldn't go to the Walsall game because I couldn't queue for a ticket. But against Bristol I was frustrated that our best set piece taker Worrall wasn't doing that

Worrall shouldn't have to queue get in.

20 hours ago, Conrad said:

Yes but don’t you get an easier tie in the play offs  the higher up the league you finish, so play your strongest team.

The BIG advantage in finishing in the top two play off spots is the second legs at home so SURELY an advantage YES....

we are not suddenly going to become a free scoring team it's to late for that there isnt the goals or creativity in the team.

The fact that we're joint 3rd top scorers in the league would strongly suggest that you're completely wrong on that

39 minutes ago, philmpv said:

The fact that we're joint 3rd top scorers in the league would strongly suggest that you're completely wrong on that

How many games have we won by more than 2 goals? If we dont defend properly we dont win simple

On 24/04/2022 at 10:14, philmpv said:

I'd be dropping Worrall for this and playing either Edmondson or Robinson. He's been awful for a couple of months now and enough is enough so far as I'm concerned. This is how he was playing before Aspin dropped him. Benning has done enough in the games before yesterday to be given another chance.

I’d get Gibbons in on the left and get Edmonson down the right and get Harrett in tucked in behind Wilson and Proctor but we need more dynamism in midfield: this isn’t over yet?

32 minutes ago, DazFred said:

Three 

And eight by two goals

And four 1-0 wins and five nil-nil draws and 34 games where have conceded one goal or less!!. My point was we are going to have to defend and keep clean sheets to pick up points. Having said that  Newport are a team we could exploit at the back and win against comfortably but generally we need to be defensively sound to get results. The last 2 games we have not only conceded poor goals but with have looked on the whole poor defensively.

11 minutes ago, JimmyPVFC said:

And four 1-0 wins and five nil-nil draws and 34 games where have conceded one goal or less!!. My point was we are going to have to defend and keep clean sheets to pick up points. Having said that  Newport are a team we could exploit at the back and win against comfortably but generally we need to be defensively sound to get results. The last 2 games we have not only conceded poor goals but with have looked on the whole poor defensively.

I know your point,I think it's the fact that our GD is pretty good,although Northampton have gone plus 5 and we have minus 3 over the last 2 games!

We can't seem to stop the ball coming in and the goals were v poor on Saturday 

However we are still the closest to Northampton and whilst there is a chance to overtake them then we have to be positive and firstly try to win the Newport game...staring the obvious I know.

I've tried to be as positive as I can but I find it hard to accept the level of criticism the team have had thrown at them.

We never seem to be able to beat Walsall and could easily have got a point against Brizzle...in fact we lost the game in the lady minute of each of them

1 hour ago, DazFred said:

I know your point,I think it's the fact that our GD is pretty good,although Northampton have gone plus 5 and we have minus 3 over the last 2 games!

We can't seem to stop the ball coming in and the goals were v poor on Saturday 

However we are still the closest to Northampton and whilst there is a chance to overtake them then we have to be positive and firstly try to win the Newport game...staring the obvious I know.

I've tried to be as positive as I can but I find it hard to accept the level of criticism the team have had thrown at them.

We never seem to be able to beat Walsall and could easily have got a point against Brizzle...in fact we lost the game in the lady minute of each of them

I totally agree about the criticism I couldn't believe some of the stuff I was hearing coming out of the ground against Bristol Rovers. Bristol are a decent side in this league,  played in league one last season and they did a job on us like we have done to many teams this season. Again I think for alot of people it's the fact we are in league 2 every defeat gets scrutinised no matter who we play or where we are in the league table as fans we think we have a defined right to be in the top half of league one/championship. But then so do the fans of Bradford, Brizzle, Swindon etc. If you look at the last 2 performances they weren't much different to the perfornances in the games we have won recently the only difference poor defending. I spoke to some who went to hartlepool we were poor first half but still managed to win the game and defended well.

Archived