onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Just watched the highlights - it looked quite shambolic with all 4 goals conceded. Looked like Covolan had a bit of nightmare with all 4 goals.

Bad day at the office hope the players learn from this quickly to ensure no repeat.

Advert

39 minutes ago, Beech said:

Well, now I've calmed down a bit, my apologies for calling Sutton a tin-pot club on the off chance any of their supporters browse this site for comments. It was un-called for, though born out of frustration at the result but more for the way some of their players "celebrated" the winning goal, which was disgraceful. Many of them seemed more concerned about winding up Vale supporters who were stood just feet away than actually celebrating the victory. Luckily I've heard their manager speak after the match, who was very complimentary about us, and he seems to have a lot more class than some of his playing staff.

We still chucked away points today and Clarke got his subs terribly wrong, none more so than subbing Proctor. There's no denying or debating that. But you can only give credit to them for showing buckets of character. At 2-3 most sides would have accepted their fate so late on after getting back in it from two down, but they did anything but, regardless of how much we or the ref helped them. On that performance they have every chance of being in the mix. They're a horrible team to play against on a small pitch, and I say that in a complimentary way. This is League Two afterall.

Three points next Saturday and this game can just be looked back at as a frustrating speed bump in the road. Still <ovf censored> <ovf censored> though!

i think tin pot is quite light i would call them much worse. and definately in my top 10 sh1thouse sides of the decade. right near the top too.

42 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That first one took a terrible deflection - he did well to get his hand to it. The own goal was bizarre - no keeper would have stopped it. He did make a bit of a b**** up of their winner though. 

But did he though the ball was knocked in headed against the back of the head of another player bounced down and someone smacked it straight past another player and into the roof of the net.

Not sure how Covolan can be blamed for any of the goals but it seems to be some peoples favourite past time. (not yours of course)

All 4 goals were pretty disastrous. The first , the guy gets way too much room to shoot. The second, I'm not sure what garrity was trying? The 3rd, why is worrall marking the guy in the box? He's one of the shortest in our team. That was the poorest defending wise. The last goal was like a kids match. Terrible goalkeeping, nobody put their boot through it.

We have a nasty habit of when we concede that we don't just concede one. It's one of the few games where it didn't look like we had prepared properly. We basically needed to stop them launching balls into our box as that was their only tactic. Stop crosses coming in and we win the game. I think worrall and gibbo had an off day as I think that's probably their job. The subs were horrible too and just didn't work. Everyone had a bad day basically.

I'm hoping it was just one of those days where nothing went for us, deflection, own goal, poor refereeing decisions, it was never going to be our day. We need to move on quickly against a decent looking Barrow side. Win that and we could be back in the automatics. We're going to lose games, it's how we bounce back that matters.

3 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:

All 4 goals were pretty disastrous. The first , the guy gets way too much room to shoot. The second, I'm not sure what garrity was trying? The 3rd, why is worrall marking the guy in the box? He's one of the shortest in our team. That was the poorest defending wise. The last goal was like a kids match. Terrible goalkeeping, nobody put their boot through it.

We have a nasty habit of when we concede that we don't just concede one. It's one of the few games where it didn't look like we had prepared properly. We basically needed to stop them launching balls into our box as that was their only tactic. Stop crosses coming in and we win the game. I think worrall and gibbo had an off day as I think that's probably their job. The subs were horrible too and just didn't work. Everyone had a bad day basically.

I'm hoping it was just one of those days where nothing went for us, deflection, own goal, poor refereeing decisions, it was never going to be our day. We need to move on quickly against a decent looking Barrow side. Win that and we could be back in the automatics. We're going to lose games, it's how we bounce back that matters.

Worralls the wing back so he’s got to be able to defend the back post.

I think the worst aspect of their third and fourth goals are the lack of speed with which their guy with the ball is pressed. The thrower for the third has all the time in the world as our player just jogs  out to him. Even for the fourth we switched off and let them take it short with no pressure on the guy that put it in.

DC seems to be keeping the 352/532 (however you see it) for the whole game now, rather than switching it up. That caught FGR and Harrogate off guard in particular. Need to go back to that rather than try and soak up the pressure.

when the actual <ovf censored> is Leon the beast lacing up again?

11 minutes ago, 1 said:

Better learn quick as Barrow are another great big dirty team with no footballers.

At least being at home it will be on a much bigger pitch. I'd also expect to give Sutton a good pumping at Vale Park if we're on it. Their small, compact pitch suits the way they play down to a tee.

41 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Worralls the wing back so he’s got to be able to defend the back post.

I think the worst aspect of their third and fourth goals are the lack of speed with which their guy with the ball is pressed. The thrower for the third has all the time in the world as our player just jogs  out to him. Even for the fourth we switched off and let them take it short with no pressure on the guy that put it in.

When you look at it, all four goals originated from set-pieces. We cannot chuck away 3 points like we have done today and there not be changes. We’ll be up against another team lumping balls into the box so we’ve got to address this issue of stopping crosses coming in. 

Some very valid points made and I think most of us have the same opinion.

We just sat back second half and didn't put enough pressure on the ball, the irony being that whenever we went forward we looked like we could score.  They were bigger all over the park so it was inevitable they would get on the end of some of the numerous balls we allowed to be pumped into our box but their goals were far too easy.

Amoo, Lloyd and Johnson actually made us worse.  What was wrong with trying Politic through the middle in place of Wilson?  The guy has a goal in him and a bit of physicality.

The Matrix has gone with more cultured central defenders than we had previously, so, whilst it's great to see Jones pinging 40 yard diagonal balls to Wozz, the trade off is that we're lightweight in central defence and teams like Sutton are able to exploit this weakness, so I guess we'll have to accept that we'll see a few more games like today, perhaps until Legge is fit.

Some of our play first half was outstanding it's just a shame that we dropped our standards second half.

4 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

You could have put your mortgage on this ending in defeat pre-match, all the classic Ingredients; MOTM curse and decent and expectant following to a smaller club.

Just don’t understand why, irrespective of the tactics, players or managers, who always balls up games like this. Any trip to the likes of Rochdale, Macclesfield and now Sutton it seems always ends in disappointment.

Why do we struggle against so-called physical sides. We do have more physicality in the squad, so why should this be an issue? 

Why do we still struggle with balls into the box as @valefan16points out? 

When you look at the team we had out on the pitch compared to Sutton it was quite clear who was the bigger side.  Without Legge we're pretty small at the back and the midfield isn't the biggest so it's always going to be tough against your Suttons.  It's very difficult to consistently win the ball, get it down on the deck and play your football against these teams, who're just looking to launch the ball at every opportunity rather than play the ball through you.  We managed to play some great stuff first half but not enough the second, certainly after Proctor went off.

31 minutes ago, rob1983 said:

At the end of the da you shouldn't be losing that <ovf censored> game. Poor. Sick of it. Little old port vale. Bad rank management of the situation.

That's football.  Last week "little old Port Vale" snatched victory when it looked impossible.  Swings and roundabouts.  Bad management?  You could also say bad luck, bad ref, bad whatever you want but you've also got to give a bit of credit to the opposition for not giving up.  They stuck to their guns and had the rub of the green in the end.

Archived