onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

It’s a strange one and maybe the memories of Tranmere on match day 11 last season are not helping the nerves of todays result and the form following that.

We do have a better manager and different squad mind so hopefully we can take Barrow to the cleaners and put it behind us.

I would have been peeved to draw that let alone lose it so it’s a tough one to take, when we played football the gulf in quality was huge but we often got drawn to their level in terms of long ball loading the box. They were very limited talent wise but very physical and did what they do well so fair play.

We’ve got to be better though.

Northampton defeat - long throw didn’t deal with it for the winner

Rochdale defeat - big lump up top done on two crosses and one long ball.

Today - corner, throw in, cross and free kick.

It’s clear without Legge we really struggle with physical sides peppering the box. Sort that we have a chance this season and in general play we look far more quality laden that most sides.

The referee was dire… Garrity booted in the face twice, Pett elbowed nothing… Lloyd taken out free kick for their winner… the throw in that was ours… booking our players for every indiscretion but failing to deal with their celebration taunting our fans.

He was diabolical. Think he’s the lad who sent Wozza off at full time in the Scunny loss a couple of seasons back and allowed their winner when their lad fouled Brown.

That said they had one tactic… balls into the box and if you concede four you only have yourself to blame. Should be basic stuff, still fourth take it on the chin and make sure we take it out on Barrow (who with Cooper should be less physical than todays opponent and probably suit us)

1 hour ago, Beech said:

In some games you need to start Legge, if he's available, and this always looked like one of them. I'd drop Cass for him, as decently well as Cass has done. It's not just Legge's aerial ability we badly miss, but also is leadership and organisational skills. He in turn also makes Smith far better.

You slagged Legge to <ovf censored> last season. Last week you were saying we were doomed because we couldn't score. Your posts are so full of <ovf censored>.

You could have put your mortgage on this ending in defeat pre-match, all the classic Ingredients; MOTM curse and decent and expectant following to a smaller club.

Just don’t understand why, irrespective of the tactics, players or managers, who always balls up games like this. Any trip to the likes of Rochdale, Macclesfield and now Sutton it seems always ends in disappointment.

Why do we struggle against so-called physical sides. We do have more physicality in the squad, so why should this be an issue? 

Why do we still struggle with balls into the box as @valefan16points out? 

Do not get Vale at all that last minutes two goals last week should have given us lift off and we should have built on the feel good factor in today's game,  and then the   dozy sods go and let a team do it to us this week so now most fans will be deflated and really naffed off that they have defended like the dog and duck today and threw away three points not 1 three points .

I'm not surprised though it's being happening for years .

Our three goals were irrelevant ,pointless may as well have lost 1-0 but 4-3 when leading 3-2 is nothing short of disgraceful whether the ref was inept  or not today in my opinion we have shown football weak mentality let's hope it does not occur again I'm sure it will though so predictable 

Well, now I've calmed down a bit, my apologies for calling Sutton a tin-pot club on the off chance any of their supporters browse this site for comments. It was un-called for, though born out of frustration at the result but more for the way some of their players "celebrated" the winning goal, which was disgraceful. Many of them seemed more concerned about winding up Vale supporters who were stood just feet away than actually celebrating the victory. Luckily I've heard their manager speak after the match, who was very complimentary about us, and he seems to have a lot more class than some of his playing staff.

We still chucked away points today and Clarke got his subs terribly wrong, none more so than subbing Proctor. There's no denying or debating that. But you can only give credit to them for showing buckets of character. At 2-3 most sides would have accepted their fate so late on after getting back in it from two down, but they did anything but, regardless of how much we or the ref helped them. On that performance they have every chance of being in the mix. They're a horrible team to play against on a small pitch, and I say that in a complimentary way. This is League Two afterall.

Three points next Saturday and this game can just be looked back at as a frustrating speed bump in the road. Still <ovf censored> <ovf censored> though!

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

Pick the bones out of these. 

Terrible, terrible defending. Covolan should have done better with the first (and I thought exactly the same re Orients second) and was defo at fault for the winner. Time for a change in goal me thinks. 

That first one took a terrible deflection - he did well to get his hand to it. The own goal was bizarre - no keeper would have stopped it. He did make a bit of a b**** up of their winner though. 

Archived