onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

With their very simple 4-4-2 they caused us problems all game. That said we only played in patches and looked shambolic at times, but still should have won it.  I imagine DC will be fuming. Poor effort.

I don’t think it was about the formation they played because they didn’t get behind us that much, it was the simple fact that they lumped it in at every opportunity from anywhere and for me today I think one of the big culprits was Worrall not pressing his winger and full back to stop balls coming in.  But also the workrate of the front 2 without the ball to stop their defenders putting diags in too.

What is it with us and 2nd half performances?? How many goals have we scored early in the first half and then been poor 2nd half. Strip out the final 3 mins of last week and it was the same. Same vs Rochdale after an exceptional first 25 mins. We either run out of steam (think Wilson coming off virtually every week after 64 mins) or it’s tactical.

3 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

What is it with us and 2nd half performances?? How many goals have we scored early in the first half and then been poor 2nd half. Strip out the final 3 mins of last week and it was the same. Same vs Rochdale after an exceptional first 25 mins. We either run out of steam (think Wilson coming off virtually every week after 64 mins) or it’s tactical.

You can't take off your best player and Wilson and replace them with a kid that I don't think has a league goal to his name, and a wide player he's for some reason trying to play as a striker suddenly.

1 minute ago, Beech said:

You can't take off your best player and Wilson and replace them with a kid that I don't think has a league goal to his name, and a wide player he's for some reason trying to play as a striker suddenly.

In fairness Amoo made all the difference last week coming into that position but agree it was a strange double sub.

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

For a start, he's by far the best header of a ball in our side, and would have made a big contribution today. Also, Smith is clearly a better defender alongside Legge instead of being the one trying to lead and organise. You would have to be insane to think Legge wouldn't have been perfect for the match this afternoon. His downfall at times is pace and movement, which they didn't have an awful lot of.

But even without him, we could and should have won this game. The subs lost us the game as much as anything else.

I agree with the last bit about the subs costing us the game, Proctor surely had to stay on, I could not believe it when I saw his number up.  After a great cameo last week and good performance in midweek I thought Politic should have come on.  

As good as Legge has been for us, there is no way I would find room in the team for us now when he does come back, who out of Smith, Cass and Jones would you drop, Cass and Jones have been great additions and make us far better to watch than with Legge just launching it long.  We might concede a few more but I feel we are going to end up outscoring the opposition more often than not.

1 minute ago, Aguar61 said:

In fairness Amoo made all the difference last week coming into that position but agree it was a strange double sub.

Amoo isn't my issue. I'm more than fine with him replacing Wilson. But Lloyd for Proctor, and the latter was our best player by a country mile... I can't get my ahead around that one. I knew the moment that sub was made we'd get a point at best.

2 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

I agree with the last bit about the subs costing us the game, Proctor surely had to stay on, I could not believe it when I saw his number up.  After a great cameo last week and good performance in midweek I thought Politic should have come on.  

As good as Legge has been for us, there is no way I would find room in the team for us now when he does come back, who out of Smith, Cass and Jones would you drop, Cass and Jones have been great additions and make us far better to watch than with Legge just launching it long.  We might concede a few more but I feel we are going to end up outscoring the opposition more often than not.

In some games you need to start Legge, if he's available, and this always looked like one of them. I'd drop Cass for him, as decently well as Cass has done. It's not just Legge's aerial ability we badly miss, but also is leadership and organisational skills. He in turn also makes Smith far better.

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

Amoo isn't my issue. I'm more than fine with him replacing Wilson. But Lloyd for Proctor, and the latter was our best player by a country mile... I can't get my ahead around that one. I knew the moment that sub was made we'd get a point at best.

Agreed.

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:
6 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:
Good interview by DC to be fair.

What did he say?

It was a “we’ve got to take our medicine, certain things went against us, get days like this, pleased with what we’ve done so far, contractual to Sutton, we’ll be back” sort of message.

Also I need to add I've got nothing against Lloyd other than thinking he doesn't look ready. But you cant take off someone with Proctor's strengths, which are his hold up play and ability to link play, and replace him with a kid that would fall over in a strong gust of wind, for <ovf censored> sake.

Archived