Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale

Fosse69

4 minutes ago, jeffers said:

Maybe it will be a wake up call that we are not as good as some think.

I wouldn't recommend putting money on us to win the league title but I definitely still fancy us for promotion.

• Like 1

Met a couple of Sutton fans before the game. Shook our hands and wished us good luck. Shame their players didn’t show the same level of respect and sportsmanship. Their behaviour at the end was disgraceful.

Referee made a huge contribution to that game. None of it good. The throw in they scored their second off was a clear Vale ball - it was right in front of us - their player was laughing. The free kick that led to their third was bizarre - Lloyd was fouled, all their players headed back to their own half then the ref decided to give it the other way. Yes we should have defended this two incidents better but in truth we shouldn’t have had to.

Suck it up and move on. Manager of the Month curse strikes again. 

Edited by Jacko51
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Genuinely makes me laugh that EVERY time we lose without Leon Legge the usual suspects are out in force screaming how we wouldn't have lost the game with Legge! It's as if we have never conceded a goal with Legge in the team!

For a start, he's by far the best header of a ball in our side, and would have made a big contribution today. Also, Smith is clearly a better defender alongside Legge instead of being the one trying to lead and organise. You would have to be insane to think Legge wouldn't have been perfect for the match this afternoon. His downfall at times is pace and movement, which they didn't have an awful lot of.

But even without him, we could and should have won this game. The subs lost us the game as much as anything else.

Edited by Beech
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, toyahw said:

With their very simple 4-4-2 they caused us problems all game. That said we only played in patches and looked shambolic at times, but still should have won it.  I imagine DC will be fuming. Poor effort.

I don’t think it was about the formation they played because they didn’t get behind us that much, it was the simple fact that they lumped it in at every opportunity from anywhere and for me today I think one of the big culprits was Worrall not pressing his winger and full back to stop balls coming in.  But also the workrate of the front 2 without the ball to stop their defenders putting diags in too.

Trying to take some positives  we lost to a massive deflection, a bizarre own goal, from a throw in that should have been our throw and a blatant foul on Lloyd that the ref contrived to give against him.

Edited by Conrad
  • Like 4

What is it with us and 2nd half performances?? How many goals have we scored early in the first half and then been poor 2nd half. Strip out the final 3 mins of last week and it was the same. Same vs Rochdale after an exceptional first 25 mins. We either run out of steam (think Wilson coming off virtually every week after 64 mins) or it’s tactical.

Edited by Biddulph_PV
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

What is it with us and 2nd half performances?? How many goals have we scored early in the first half and then been poor 2nd half. Strip out the final 3 mins of last week and it was the same. Same vs Rochdale after an exceptional first 25 mins. We either run out of steam (think Wilson coming off virtually every week after 64 mins) or it’s tactical.

You can't take off your best player and Wilson and replace them with a kid that I don't think has a league goal to his name, and a wide player he's for some reason trying to play as a striker suddenly.

Edited by Beech

1 minute ago, Beech said:

You can't take off your best player and Wilson and replace them with a kid that I don't think has a league goal to his name, and a wide player he's for some reason trying to play as a striker suddenly.

In fairness Amoo made all the difference last week coming into that position but agree it was a strange double sub.