Jump to content

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

On 10/10/2021 at 10:07, onestepatatime said:

I've calmed down a little now. Fellow Valiants, this is Division 2! Vale can and do frequently, look very good footballing wise but we, like other teams , have a "soft" belly and a few wobbles. In the main, in a very open Division, we are capable of reaching the play offs but we do have to add a nasty and "hard" streak to our performances. 

To get out of this god forsaken horrid Division tenacity and some of the darker arts are required in addition to the footballing side. In my opinion we do not possess the former in sufficient terms, yet.

We can open teams up and look likely to score goals now but we still have this undercurrent of sitting back and being incapable of defending without panicking.

I would describe our need to "ruthless" rather than "hard". Generally we have been hard to beat, results show that however performances show when we play we can really carve teams apart but we miss too many good situations and guilt edge chances to finish teams off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One reflection having been there is the oven that was the metal shed behind the goal...

A huge advantage was gained at the coin toss.... Originally I thought the Vale had won the toss and turned them around. But on reflection, did they know just how hard it would be to pick out a high ball with the sun low in the sky in the 2nd half?

I lost count of how many times they hoofed it up into the glare of the sun and it must have been a nightmare for the defence and Cov to pick it out of the sky.

Small pitch, low sun, hoofball, up and under..... nightmare.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/10/2021 at 16:56, Beech said:

 

Smith looks like a Sunday league player without Legge next to him. <ovf censored>!

Not being funny here but i dont think fans were saying this after the previous 5 games ?? players do have the odd bad game or they wouldn't be in league two. Smith has been outstanding in our unbeaten run imo but after this game he is now a sunday league player....

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Not being funny here but i dont think fans were saying this after the previous 5 games ?? players do have the odd bad game or they wouldn't be in league two. Smith has been outstanding in our unbeaten run imo but after this game he is now a sunday league player....

Sadly mate it's standard on here don't expect anything less .

It was a bad day at the office. We were 3 minutes from being 2 points off top and all would of been rosy.

All of a sudden Smith, Lloyd etc are crap .

Nothing like a defeat is there to get the keyboards going. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Not being funny here but i dont think fans were saying this after the previous 5 games ?? players do have the odd bad game or they wouldn't be in league two. Smith has been outstanding in our unbeaten run imo but after this game he is now a sunday league player....

 

Well obviously my opinion in that moment was hyperbole. But I've always had the same opinion that he's nowhere near the defender some make him out to be, and certainly without Legge next to him. He's tenacious and puts his head where some people wouldn't put there feet, but he's been part of a side for years now that have gotten nowhere. Average at best, in my opinion. But I don't have too many qualms about a Legge/Smith partnership.

Edited by Beech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Sadly mate it's standard on here don't expect anything less .

It was a bad day at the office. We were 3 minutes from being 2 points off top and all would of been rosy.

All of a sudden Smith, Lloyd etc are crap .

Nothing like a defeat is there to get the keyboards going. 

 

Yeah, everybody must rate every single player at the club just as highly as yourself. Give your head a wobble. Even if we had won the game, my opinion on Smith wouldn't have changed one bit.

Edited by Beech
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Beech said:

 

Well obviously my opinion in that moment was hyperbole. But I've always had the same opinion that he's nowhere near the defender some make him out to be, and certainly without Legge next to him. He's tenacious and puts his head where some people wouldn't put there feet, but he's been part of a side for years now that have gotten nowhere. Average at best, in my opinion. But I don't have too many qualms about a Legge/Smith partnership.

Just out of interest did you think he was a non league defender  before Legge came to the club? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Just out of interest did you think he was a non league defender  before Legge came to the club? 

I don't need to answer that seeing as I've already said that calling him a none league player was just a silly comment of out frustration.

But I don't think he's very good. Far from it. I don't think he's much if any better than Brisley was myself. Though for a defender he does get one or two goals which is always helpful. Without Legge next to him though I think he often looks considerably worse.

Edited by Beech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, Beech said:

I don't need to answer that seeing as I've already said that calling him a none league player was just a silly comment of out frustration.

But I don't think he's very good. Far from it. I don't think he's much if any better than Brisley was myself. Though for a defender he does get one or two goals which is always helpful. Without Legge next to him though I think he often looks considerably worse.

Just interested to know if you thought he wasn’t that great until Legge came along to help/mentor him. When he broke through into the side he seemed to be seen as one of the bright lights in an overall crappy season when we went down. 

Edited by PV1973

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Beech said:

 

Yeah, everybody must rate every single player at the club just as highly as yourself. Give your head a wobble. Even if we had won the game, my opinion on Smith wouldn't have changed one bit.

Grow up. You got some gall even being on here after what you said about that lads mum and your shameless bottling paying up losing your bet 

You are a complete knee jerk merchant. Last year you said Harrogate top 10 after their glorious 0-0 draw at Vale and didn't pay up. This year you proclaimed Rochdale as wonderful.

At least I think before I type . 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I for one aren't saying that Smith is a Championship player as that would be silly BUT i am saying that imo he is a very good League Two defender,people can bring up the Smith was in our very poor sides over the years and then blame him for everything that goes wrong in a defeat but lets be realistic he has has to also play with some <ovf censored> players in those depressing times and that can even bring the best players down to their level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me Nathan Smith has been outstanding this last 5-6 matches if not all season, his reading of the game, fearlessness and tenacity second to none in a Vale shirt. Given the height in their team having a Legge or a Martin alongside him would have been ideal but for various reasons it wasn't possible. Hence more reason to stop the crosses coming in.

Edited by Paul6754
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

For me Nathan Smith has been outstanding this last 5-6 matches if not all season, his reading of the game, fearlessness and tenacity second to none in a Vale shirt. Given the height in their team having a Legge or a Martin alongside him would have been ideal but for various reasons it wasn't possible. Hence more reason to stop the crosses coming in.

Spot on. I keep hearing about our lack of height at the back, but nothing about stopping the cross in the first place. We gave their wide men all the time on the world.

However I’m not having a go at any one player, it was just a bad day at the office. I expect a full on reaction Saturday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...