Jump to content

Match Thread: Sutton United v Port Vale


Fosse69

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

 

For a start, he's by far the best header of a ball in our side, and would have made a big contribution today. Also, Smith is clearly a better defender alongside Legge instead of being the one trying to lead and organise. You would have to be insane to think Legge wouldn't have been perfect for the match this afternoon. His downfall at times is pace and movement, which they didn't have an awful lot of.

But even without him, we could and should have won this game. The subs lost us the game as much as anything else.

I agree with the last bit about the subs costing us the game, Proctor surely had to stay on, I could not believe it when I saw his number up.  After a great cameo last week and good performance in midweek I thought Politic should have come on.  

As good as Legge has been for us, there is no way I would find room in the team for us now when he does come back, who out of Smith, Cass and Jones would you drop, Cass and Jones have been great additions and make us far better to watch than with Legge just launching it long.  We might concede a few more but I feel we are going to end up outscoring the opposition more often than not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Aguar61 said:

In fairness Amoo made all the difference last week coming into that position but agree it was a strange double sub.

Amoo isn't my issue. I'm more than fine with him replacing Wilson. But Lloyd for Proctor, and the latter was our best player by a country mile... I can't get my ahead around that one. I knew the moment that sub was made we'd get a point at best.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

I agree with the last bit about the subs costing us the game, Proctor surely had to stay on, I could not believe it when I saw his number up.  After a great cameo last week and good performance in midweek I thought Politic should have come on.  

As good as Legge has been for us, there is no way I would find room in the team for us now when he does come back, who out of Smith, Cass and Jones would you drop, Cass and Jones have been great additions and make us far better to watch than with Legge just launching it long.  We might concede a few more but I feel we are going to end up outscoring the opposition more often than not.

In some games you need to start Legge, if he's available, and this always looked like one of them. I'd drop Cass for him, as decently well as Cass has done. It's not just Legge's aerial ability we badly miss, but also is leadership and organisational skills. He in turn also makes Smith far better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Beech said:

Amoo isn't my issue. I'm more than fine with him replacing Wilson. But Lloyd for Proctor, and the latter was our best player by a country mile... I can't get my ahead around that one. I knew the moment that sub was made we'd get a point at best.

Agreed.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:
6 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:
Good interview by DC to be fair.

What did he say?

It was a “we’ve got to take our medicine, certain things went against us, get days like this, pleased with what we’ve done so far, contractual to Sutton, we’ll be back” sort of message.

Edited by Biddulph_PV
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Also I need to add I've got nothing against Lloyd other than thinking he doesn't look ready. But you cant take off someone with Proctor's strengths, which are his hold up play and ability to link play, and replace him with a kid that would fall over in a strong gust of wind, for <ovf censored> sake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:
7 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:
Good interview by DC to be fair.

What did he say?

 

7 minutes ago, philmpv said:
7 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:
Good interview by DC to be fair.

What did he say?

Proctor ,slight injury.Refs need to do better.Didnt defend property.Siht happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy just on Radio Joke made a good point. If Gibbo’s on, more angles covered, the cross probably doesn’t come in. Easy with hindsight, but with us in front and only 5 mins to go, surely the switch to get Johnson on was Garrity, as Lloyd is a ratter and could have dropped back?? Anyway, it’s gone now. Let’s see what next week brings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

We tend to "outshoot" the opposition in most games.

We're just not very clinical though!

I swear after 30 mins of most games we "should be out of sight".

But we'll win more than we lose if we carry this on. Don't panic!

Not panicking. Just frustrated that our early-season tight defensive set-up now suddenly seems to be eluding us. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couldn't understand taking Proctor off, missed having someone like Leon Legge on the bench to bring on and bolster the defense in the air especially when the opposition are so big and the main tactic is to pump balls into the box.

Not a fan of the wing back system, when the WB's play in midfield the space is behind, when they get pushed back the space is in front and that's exactly what happen today, their crosses were coming from in front of the WB's with no pressure on the ball.

No wonder their players and management team were high fiving the ref at the end 'cause many of the decisions favored Sutton.

We're still up there, there will be set backs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Couldn't understand taking Proctor off, missed having someone like Leon Legge on the bench to bring on and bolster the defense in the air especially when the opposition are so big and the main tactic is to pump balls into the box.

Not a fan of the wing back system, when the WB's play in midfield the space is behind, when they get pushed back the space is in front and that's exactly what happen today, their crosses were coming from in front of the WB's with no pressure on the ball.

No wonder their players and management team were high fiving the ref at the end 'cause many of the decisions favored Sutton.

We're still up there, there will be set backs.

I thought the subs meant we sat way too deep when putting Jones at left wing back and we just invited balls into the box. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be almost time for Legge to come back now. Let’s have an update Clarkey.

Little injuries are going to be the only scuppering obstacle of this season I think, as the squad is good enough for promotion, but only with all the players fit and active.

Walker, Garrity, Conlon, Legge, Gibbo, now Proctor. Can’t keep swapping them in and out. Garrity off the pace but how can you blame him if he’s not fully fit. Is Conlon still carrying an injury? Walker? Has Wilson ever been fit, really?

The team needs to be rotated, not because of performances, to keep players fresh. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...