onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert

Oldham are absolute pony regardless. Carried by a player called 'Bahamboula'. Give over. Non-serious entity and tinpot affair. Dismiss their opinions and move forward. 

Garrity is a player I do not envisage starting much immediately, with the likes of Conlon and Taylor in the squad. However, I have long-called for us to sign players before their prime hits who have raw ingredients but need some good coaching, trust, and minutes. He moved up 4 divisions and Oldham were his first experience at professional level.

Garrity is undoubtedly a gamble but a 3 year deal + undisclosed fee suggests that the people behind the Matrix are confident there is something to work with. 3 years also suggest we're not expecting Day 1 perfection, but see him as a project (like Rodney and Taylor) of players with good attributes and room to grow, who can develop and utilise at a later date. This is how good football clubs are run folks. You combine proven players with gambles and if half of your gambles come in, you profit immeasurably. 

We simply cannot waltz out and sign 23 ready-made, League 2 quality footballers; you couldn't possibly afford it/keep all of them happy. I try to be realistic and accept that, for the people who scout players using Wiki numbers and 'do I recognise his name?', this signing may underwhelm and not 'inspire'. We have to sign players with an eye down the line.

All that being said, this lad is world class and we are storming this dismal division with 100 points. 

Will also say now so some of you calm down; League 2 recruitment is a crapshoot. We are signing 12-15 players this summer. Not every single one will be a resounding success; there's too many variables. 

However, if 8-10 can demonstrably improve things, then we'll be in a much better place with a much younger squad to grow. Some folk are expecting 15/15 hits and maybe take the tongue-in-cheek 'Matrix' and 'War Room' comments seriously, when really we're just recruiting like other clever clubs. Those clubs balls up signings too, but for every ballsed up signing, you get three right.

Garrity may be the former or latter, but I commend the club for finding the player and trusting him to develop. We have established the coaching setup to help this lad and this is what we should have been doing for the last decade. Find the gems and back your set up to improve him. We can't sign the finished product every time.

Some lads on here would love Nicky Ajose because he's a name, I swear. 

Coupled with paying a fee this is definitely a left field signing. Seems Blackpool did a job on us when they found out we were interested. If we hadn't have found out we'd have probably got him for nothing.

Clearly not rated by Oldham fans, who are generally quite knowledgeable.  Interviews well and seems excited to join.

Some players do need a season to find their feet in league football. Quigley clearly benefited more than us from his time at the club. He also moved around a few midfield positions last season. Not sure if Oldham played 2 or 3 in the middle. It may be he is really an old fasioned inside forward and could be a find as a number 8. 2 year contract shows our management have faith in him. Biggest worry for me are the comments about his poor touch, positive is he seems to be very mobile; which you need on Vale Park.

I have a feeling this is a signing we will either look back on as absolute genius or folly in 12 months time. 

I don't think you can say Quigley benefited from us. Simple fact is that he was given more of a chance elsewhere and improved massively for it. We have rarely given any player, particularly a striker, time to bed in and improve over the past 4 years, Rodney being the exception

Coupled with paying a fee this is definitely a left field signing. Seems Blackpool did a job on us when they found out we were interested. If we hadn't have found out we'd have probably got him for nothing.
Clearly not rated by Oldham fans, who are generally quite knowledgeable.  Interviews well and seems excited to join.
Some players do need a season to find their feet in league football. Quigley clearly benefited more than us from his time at the club. He also moved around a few midfield positions last season. Not sure if Oldham played 2 or 3 in the middle. It may be he is really an old fasioned inside forward and could be a find as a number 8. 2 year contract shows our management have faith in him. Biggest worry for me are the comments about his poor touch, positive is he seems to be very mobile; which you need on Vale Park.
I have a feeling this is a signing we will either look back on as absolute genius or folly in 12 months time. 

15 minutes ago, JRC said:

Clearly not rated by Oldham fans, who are generally quite knowledgeable.

Are they really? More so than any other fans?  I’ll reserve judgement til I’ve seen him play myself rather than trust fans moaning on social media or Internet forums. 

Imagine if we sold Tom Conlon or Nathan Smith and opposition fans came on here to get a straw poll of 2 of our best players. It would be the same, fans moaning and criticising, that’s the nature of the internet isn’t it. 

No idea if he’s any good or will be any good so I’ll judge him when I see him play. 

Obviously he’s not a proven player or an ‘exciting’ signing. The Oldham fans’ comments are a little concerning. However, let’s be honest, we are not going to sign 15 proven players.

I’m sure there will be more exciting signings coming through the door. 

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Are they really? More so than any other fans?  I’ll reserve judgement til I’ve seen him play myself rather than trust fans moaning on social media or Internet forums. 

Imagine if we sold Tom Conlon or Nathan Smith and opposition fans came on here to get a straw poll of 2 of our best players. It would be the same, fans moaning and criticising, that’s the nature of the internet isn’t it. 

If you did a search for either player on here most comments on those 2 players would be positive.  Every player will have some fans who don't rate them. The comments on the Oldham website are quite universally negative. So while it is the nature of the internet for people to comment; there is a difference in the 2 scenarios.

31 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Oldham are absolute pony regardless. Carried by a player called 'Bahamboula'. Give over. Non-serious entity and tinpot affair. Dismiss their opinions and move forward. 

What's wrong with being called Bahamboula?

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Imagine if we sold Tom Conlon or Nathan Smith and opposition fans came on here to get a straw poll of 2 of our best players.

Yeh they'd be in tears reading Breadwinner

The only thing with the Oldham comments is they aren't sour grapes, they are comments during the season itself not ones made today. 

It's a leftfield signing for sure but we'll judge him ourselves not based on their comments. 

Didn't play either game against us . 

I guess if your modus operandi is to get an experienced Director of Football + a manager to do the recruitment the way to compete is going to be by getting value for money out of players who are operating a bit below the radar and inevitably not the obvious candidates from wikipedia searches or fans’ forums. As such I expect people to be underwhelmed right through to August. I won’t be  concerned until December if we aren’t seeing a shape and a team that’s greater than the sum of its parts.

Archived