Who to sign for next season?

rayzer

48 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

He was signed in 1985.

Promoted 85/86 season.

Sorry, yes he was. I should have noticed my mistake by the fact the team photo I added was for that season!

However, the point remains - a big strapping defender, signed to get us up and did it.

• Like 1

Advert:

15 hours ago, philmpv said:
15 hours ago, grand prix pants said:
Given our defence is now watertight, I’m assuming we’ll be keeping both  Legge and Bris??

If your car started 2 times from 10 attempts , would you keep the same car or look to buy a new one? I know what I'd do, particularly the older the car is

No but when it kicks up first time, and performs very well, that means all is ok

After the improvement in performance and instilling a winning mentality in the the squad since he came in, I would be looking at DC's contract, it won't have gone unnoticed in the football world his progress at Vale Park.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, blackdog said:

After the improvement in performance and instilling a winning mentality in the the squad since he came in, I would be looking at DC's contract, it won't have gone unnoticed in the football world his progress at Vale Park.

Didn't he sign a 3 year deal when he joined?

Advert:

17 hours ago, philmpv said:
17 hours ago, grand prix pants said:
Given our defence is now watertight, I’m assuming we’ll be keeping both  Legge and Bris??

If your car started 2 times from 10 attempts , would you keep the same car or look to buy a new one? I know what I'd do, particularly the older the car is

Having changed the starter everything is running well, but a few rusty parts need replacing.

• Like 1

Advert:

2 hours ago, newchapel valiant said:

Didn't do Notts County any good when they splashed the cash. Nothing like setting yourself up, all the fans will expect  promotion and anything else will be seen as failure. 

Be interesting to watch what happens. 

Well as a fan owned club it is in their own hands, they will only have themselves to blame. They seem to be fairly steady, with plenty of wheeler dealing over the last few years. 4 promotion places, not like the old 3rd North and South with 1 each.

19 hours ago, robf said:

Sorry, yes he was. I should have noticed my mistake by the fact the team photo I added was for that season!

However, the point remains - a big strapping defender, signed to get us up and did it.

Wayne C in 82/3 was similar wasn’t he Rob? I’m not going to try and spell his name. 

• Haha 1

Advert:

1 minute ago, CAVALIER said:

Wayne C in 82/3 was similar wasn’t he Rob? I’m not going to try and spell his name. 

Yep, got us up and then left. Wayne Cegielski (I think that's right) was great in 82-83 (think he swept the board at POTY didn't he) and considerably less so in 83-84.

• Like 1

Interesting piece here on Exeter
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56845997
A strange statement to make with players agents listening in.

Its that time of the season where managers have to tread a fine line. Comments to the press need to give the fans the confidence to buy their season tickets and the existing players the confidence to renew their contracts. Sound too confident and you set yourself up for a fall and sound too rich and every agent will be aware and hold you to ransom for new player and renewal wages.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, wotsyobeef said:

A strange statement to make with players agents listening in.

Its that time of the season where managers have to tread a fine line. Comments to the press need to give the fans the confidence to buy their season tickets and the existing players the confidence to renew their contracts. Sound too confident and you set yourself up for a fall and sound too rich and every agent will be aware and hold you to ransom for new player and renewal wages.

I thought that. What a way to weaken your negotiating position before you even start.