Match Thread: Bolton Wanderers v Port Vale

Advert:

• Replies 481
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fingers crossed We do well against Bolton. Vales form is starting to affect my marriage. The Missus says I'm obsessed with football. Hope she doesn't leave, we've been together for 16 seasons. 

From one post every 3 mins to 2 posts all game. 👍

Only vale could go 6.1 up and still have me shitting myself at the end

Posted Images

I was there!  Keith Styles was the ref - he just kept adding time on until they scored the equaliser.  It was about 5 past 5 when the match ended!

Yes it was longer injury time even than our usual 6 mins that day
  • Like 1

When I saw the team at 2.00pm I feared the worst, I saw 2 defensive full backs, lack of creativity in midfield and Rodney being isolated up front, how wrong could I be.  It was a thoroughly enjoyable performance and for the first time this season, I really enjoyed the game, even some of the wins have been a hard watch.

There were some great performances out there but special praise for Manny who absoutely bossed the midfield and Monty, I was hoping see him at full back but maybe this is his best position after all. 

We have proved today that we can be a decent side at this level and I think that is why fans have been getting on Askey's back as this is a real opportunity this year, there is no stand out team in the league.  3 out of the next 4 at home, with fans at the stadium, I would have fancied any chances, really hope in the New Year we can be there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

I was there!  Keith Styles was the ref - he just kept adding time on until they scored the equaliser.  It was about 5 past 5 when the match ended!

Wasn't Allardyce their centre half and he kicked, was it Woodward, all over the park all game? The atmosphere was toxic.....and Bolton fans bricked Vale fans leaving the Railway paddock....last game my Mum went as she was scared to death leaving Railway paddock.

• Like 1

Advert:

I've seen the goals 6 fabulously taken goals ,so typical of me though I decide not watch and they go and turn in a attacking masterclass.

This morning happy for Carol and those who have stood by the manager it's so easy to pull the trigger when your on bad losing run especially when you consider we have kept losing by the one goal .

Let's work on defending properly this next week as a team .

I said on the Leyton Orient match thread that I felt second half we were getting our attacking play together and if we reproduce this level of performance over both halves we were going win eventually ,so I will say its great that we did but never in my wildest optimistic mind did I think we could score 6 away .

A incredible attacking display let's hope with Oyeleke getting his match fitness up game after game this performance can be the norm obviously without the defensive calamities which what we have unfortunately acquired. 

UTV 

10 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Is this the game in the 70's ? Marred by crowd trouble? If it is , it's the only football game my mum has been in her life. 

My dad never took her again after that day . Not sure if they were close to the trouble or the whole thing was upsetting to her. 

Fortunately my dad continued and took me. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Is this the game in the 70's ? Marred by crowd trouble? If it is , it's the only football game my mum has been in her life. 

My dad never took her again after that day . Not sure if they were close to the trouble or the whole thing was upsetting to her. 

Some people would say unfortunately 😂

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

One of the few times Vale and Stoke fans stood together.Mayhem on the Bycars.

Well, who saw that coming? Good win which was absolutely needed.still a hell of a lot of improvement needed though as we need to score six every week at the minute to stand a chance of winning. Defending is shambolic at times which is surprising after last season. I still think it’s more to do with midfield though. One ball and the opposition is at us straight away. 

Still, well done to all involved. We desperately needed that. 

Advert:

Regarding the defence was it bad or did we just switch off and take foot of the gas thinking job done? Doyle’s strike was a good finish to be fair but the third was a bad error from Brown as that’s one he collects easily 99 times out of 100.

Hopefully just getting lax as we were so far ahead and we did tighten up once they got their third. First half though I thought we defended very well under immense pressure, had the ball which Manny was weak in the tackle with but other than that we did our jobs against two very good hitmen once we got to grips with their full backs. That header from Legge was world class to clear that a yard out flying across at pace with Doyle behind really to nod home. Pivotal moment as if he heads it in his own net or misses it for Doyle to score at 2-2 it’s a different game.

Work to be done but we could and should of done what we did to Bolton to Orient second half when we battered them and things just weren’t dropping or blocks where happening.

We need to fine tune the balance now between defence and attack but main thing from today will be the huge weight of the lads and confidence which had clearly been shot to pieces in recent weeks. When they got their third I was the typical Vale fan fearing they’d get a point! Even on 88 minutes I thought oh my god if they score now we will have 6 of injury and remember Tranmere!

Black kit seems fairly lucky too, 4 wins in 6 wearing it which away from home is a good record! One of the losses was to Fleetwood with our second string too! We do look smart but mean in it... like NZ rugby it just looks like we mean business.

It’s a fantastic result, I woke up and checked the score just to be sure it wasn’t a dream! 6-3 and slightly frustrated it was only 6 with the chances we didn’t take and could have had 4 in that crazy first 10 minutes.

Leggey must be top scorer now?

18 hours ago, Vale1995 said:

Whos scoring us a goal in that team 😂😂😂 literally laughable. 

6 different players i think

What i did notice is that you only posted twice during a game where we go 6-1 up..... yet match threads over the last few weeks you have posted many many times during the games mainly with your Askey outs....... odd that

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TylerB said:

Still conceded three though. Our defence was the strongest part of our side for a while not too long ago and now it's suddenly become the weakest, and is becoming a problem. It wasn't so much a problem today as we got the 3 points regardless, but as a whole we're conceding goals left, right and centre, and it's concerning. Even Brown is now looking a million miles from being anything like the best keeper in the league. He'll come good again of course, but as a perfectly capable number two surely Visser deserves a go.

Being honest here i dont mind us conceding 3 every game as long as we score 4+ it was a cracking game of attacking football,its been a long time coming,for goodness sake lets just enjoy it and not try to come up with negatives.

Those players played for Askey yesterday no doubt about it,i thought Monty had one of his best games for us especially when playing out wide,manny was the manny of old(and fit) and i have to say Rodders did a hell of a lot of work,yes he is raw,yes he makes mistakes but he isn't half as bad as some make out,more to come from him.

• Like 2

Advert:

14 hours ago, TylerB said:

So despite the win we still managed to concede three (and it could have been 2 or 3 more) against a side that doesn't really score goals, certainly not many of them, to add to all of the goals we've been conceding lately. Scoring six goals and getting three points is fantastic, but it doesn't take away that fact. We've gone quickly from having one of the best defences in the league to being a shambles at the back. Close your eyes and ignore it if you like.

wow just unbelievable after a win

you say we could of conceded a couple more,surely you watched the game so might of noted we could of scored another 6 so....

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Santa said:

I didn't expect us to wear the black kit yesterday because of the shorts clash.

Reading some of the posts during the game it appears one or two people needed to change their shorts.